GDT - January 28th, 2020 - Senators @ Sabres, 7 PM ET (WGR/MSG/NHL Network)

Doohickie

Disappointing game for Lazar.  Playing against your old team, one that traded you, the effort needed to be better.

Agree with the notion that someone on the Sabres coaching staff needs to be fired.  Whoever owns the PK is a start.

Zemgus was invisible on the first line.  Not sure why the coaching staff is adamant against reuniting Skinner with Jack and Sam. 

I liked how Reinhardt played tonight.  He’s increasing his trade value with every game. ?

2 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Is constantly dressing 11F 7D just Coach K's way of shouting "Help us, JBot! Help me... help you...  you're my only hope."? They don't even have a 4th line, let alone a 2C.

And the only guy who is hurt is a rookie. Olofsson

Yeah, I have no idea what that's all about.  It's beyond obvious that this team needs a 2c, and the roster has like 4 untouchable players and their 1st round pick next season, and everything else is on the table. 

I get the feeling that John Muckler would have fixed this by now.  Early Darcy Regier would have fixed this by now.  Botterill, meh, who knows?

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Andrew Amerk said:

How many goals were you expecting him to score when he’s skating on a line with Pegleg Pete and Wheelchair Jimmy?

For his mind's sake, there better have been a conversation in the summer about his goal output expectation being lower because he'd be saddled with lesser line mates. 

Even typing that was funny. Is that really acceptable? How did that conversation go? "We'd like to pay you 9 million per season Jeff, but we aren't expecting you to score as much anymore, now. You ok with that, Jeff?"

"Ok, Mr. Botterill."

3 minutes ago, jad1 said:

Yeah, I have no idea what that's all about.  It's beyond obvious that this team needs a 2c, and the roster has like 4 untouchable players and their 1st round pick next season, and everything else is on the table. 

I get the feeling that John Muckler would have fixed this by now.  Early Darcy Regier would have fixed this by now.  Botterill, meh, who knows?

The glut of defensemen was there. It may have decreased the leverage (even with Pilut and Bogo injured). But yes, Regier (before he thought he was just a piece away and would get the Boyes' of the world as rentals) would've addressed it. And GMTM would've mortgaged a position pipeline and a couple drafts for it. JBots is GMing .... either scared.... or assured that he can play the long game.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, KC Scouts said:

The worst kind of hockey team, no skill, no talent and gets physically beat all the time

Ottawa won 5 road games all season and has the 31st best PP in the NHL.

Anderson has lost his last 4 starts in a row.

So what happens?  Ottawa wins with 3 PP goals!

Zero atmosphere in the building, no energy to the game, outshot 2:1 most of the night...

Just another night in Hockey Heaven! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

The glut of defensemen was there. It may have decreased the leverage (even with Pilut and Bogo injured). But yes, Regier (before he thought he was just a piece away and would get the Boyes' of the world as rentals) would've addressed it. And GMTM would've mortgaged a position pipeline and a couple drafts for it. JBots is GMing .... either scared.... or assured that he can play the long game.

And therein lay the question, just how long is the long game?

4 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

And therein lay the question, just how long is the long game?

Minimum of 2 coaching changes and at 3 full seasons so that he can turn over the roster in his own image (unless he does something to personally antagonize the owner or the code of conduct). So, after next season is when the JBot watch can begin.

Alternately, if you believe stability breeds success (see.... Steelers, Patriots, Bengals) you keep a coach for at least 10 seasons, regardless of outcome. But the NHL and NFL are unfair comparisons.

55 minutes ago, jad1 said:

Skinner is paid $9 million because he is a world-class sniper.  Soccer genius has him driving a line with two slugs.  It's a massive misuse of talent, and watching Johansson slap muffins into the defensemen's shins that entire last powerplay, instead of Skinner shooting lasers, just proves Krueger's malpractice in managing the roster.

I noted several times tonight just how freaking slow Johansson's hands are.  He and Skinner are polar opposite types of players and I agree Skinner should be on Eichel's wing.

56 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Yup, that was a disaster and a disgrace. No excuse to be that outplayed by a (bad) team on the second game in two nights.

Ullmark was our best player and now JBot can have an injury excuse lol.

Skinner is a dumbass and needs to get it together.

No point in going on and on, they stunk.

Sell, sell, sell. It's over.

If you are referring to that penalty he took, I agree, that was really bad.  

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, LawnWranglers said:

Holy cow.  This team is so far away.  And so unlikable.

This is the part that really bothers me.  I can't stand the makeup of this team; not only does it suck, it is extremely unlikeable and I hate the style of hockey we play, if we can say it has a style at all.

56 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

The fans are going to have to get out of zombie mode and start a rebellion during these type games... which many more are coming 

I would love to hear some "Botterill must go" chants at home games or anything similar.  

How about "We're not gonna take it anymore" chants, Twisted Sister style?

Come on Sabres fans!  Do something!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

I would love to hear some "Botterill must go" chants at home games or anything similar.  

How about "We're not gonna take it anymore" chants, Twisted Sister style?

Come on Sabres fans!  Do something!

FIRE BOTTERIL NOW 

FIRE BOTTERIL NOW 

FIRE BOTTERIL NOW

Edited by freester

I know it sounds like an excuse, because it is, but it's really really really tough to jump right back in after 10 days off and be able to play at top speed.  

I don't know what the guys did over the break, saw some went to tropical areas to spend time golfing, hanging out at the beach, etc... it takes a while to get your legs, hands, eyes, mind moving at elite NHL speed after taking that much time off.   

They'll be better on Thursday.

So now that's 2 major injuries where guys injured themselves, unprovoked by a teammate or opponent.     LIke Olofsson screwing his leg into the ground.    I have an issue with that.  It's freak injuries, but if you're locked in playing on your toes, 100% focused, those things aren't going to happen to you.   It's when you get lackadaisical, careless, lose focus, that you end up hurting yourself in those ways.    These are young inexperienced players... tough lessons to learn, but they'll learn from it.   

53 minutes ago, KC Scouts said:

I can hardly wait for Coach K's post game.....

I walked the dogs when the game went off and just turned on RFK's post gamer.  I couldn't watch it.  It was a disgusting performance.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Mike Harrington would be a good start.

Why?  He is one of the few people who routinely calls out the garbage product the Sabres franchise produces. 

The way he asked  BOGO last year after another loss "Has this team already quit on the season?!" was fantastic.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.