2019-2020 Lineup

GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

The first line is playing a lot of neutralizing hockey against other teams top lines right now and I think that's lowering a player like Sam's offensive contributions a bit. He's a responsible player and I think he's carrying a lot of the water for that line in that role.

I agree with this, but the lowering at even strength we are seeing is being offset by the over the top PP production. Therefore, his offensive contribution overall is about where we'd thought, hoped it'd be. 7 points, 8 games. I'm sure their even strength production will start to pick up a bit, probably about in time with the PP slowing to a more reasonable percentage. That bit is probably already happening. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Sam has been fine-to-good.

Somebody just has to tell all THREE of those guys to stop bending over backwards to pass the puck to each other and just rifle a shot every once in a while. 

Jack isn't shooting for rebounds right now. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/19/2019 at 5:35 PM, Curt said:

I have to agree, I think they are getting harder matchups.  They haven’t had great results at 5 on 5 as a result I think.

But weren't they drawing similar matchups last year?  I think they were, but they were also playing against lesser lines when possible since they were the only line that could bury the biscuit.

The difference is this year we have other biscuit burier lines so their missing has been more limited to taking on the other team's top line.  As long as it's a draw, RFK is probably content to let the other lines battle it out.

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

But weren't they drawing similar matchups last year?  I think they were, but they were also playing against lesser lines when possible since they were the only line that could bury the biscuit.

The difference is this year we have other biscuit burier lines so their missing has been more limited to taking on the other team's top line.  As long as it's a draw, RFK is probably content to let the other lines battle it out.

Skinner not being on that line makes a big difference, too. He could be the best 5v5 forward we have currently. 

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I feel like they’ve been getting the opponents top line more often, but that’s just my unscientific observation, could be wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Curt said:

I feel like they’ve been getting the opponents top line more often, but that’s just my unscientific observation, could be wrong.

They also aren't playing much with Dahlin, our best defenceman in transitioning to offence. 

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Anybody hear that this morning, and/or have the audio for it?

Button has been taking a lot of runs at the Leafs lately.

I am revising my opinion on Matthews; I’ve mostly fallen in line with the idea that he is a textbook elite franchise centre. Now I’m wondering if he’s better cast as an elite goal scorer. He’s so damn good at finishing, but does he have the defence and the passing acumen to be lumped in with the Crosbys of the world?

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

Button has been taking a lot of runs at the Leafs lately.

I am revising my opinion on Matthews; I’ve mostly fallen in line with the idea that he is a textbook elite franchise centre. Now I’m wondering if he’s better cast as an elite goal scorer. He’s so damn good at finishing, but does he have the defence and the passing acumen to be lumped in with the Crosbys of the world?

Well, no one except McDavid deserves to get lumped in with Crosby.  Matthews is a good, but not elite passer.  He is an elite goal scorer.  One of the best 5 in the league.  I think where he can improve most is in transition, in winning more puck battles, and on defense.  He often doesn’t give the effort on winning pucks or on D that you would want to see, and he doesn’t carry the puck up ice as much as his talent says he probably could.  IMO

1 minute ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Breaking news... I found Tage Thompson wandering around my neighborhood this evening. 

20191023_205128.jpg

Good to see his stint on the farm is teaching him to go into the dirty areas.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Good to see his stint on the farm is teaching him to go into the dirty areas.

That may be the funniest response to this picture possible ??

I was driving home and I passed it, and I just had to turn around and snap a pic considering Tage being a baby giraffe and all 

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

Mike Bales.  Yeah, I think he is good.

He is also working with the defense and overall structure. I think he is behind the bench during the game. The goal is to integrate structure with the goaltending.  It’s pretty obvious that goaltenders are better when they see the shots, the D keeps the crease clear and the shots on the outside.  I don’t think the 3 shutouts are a coincidence despite 41 and 47 shots in 2 of those games.  Ullmark said last night that he was able to see the shots and most were from the outside.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He is also working with the defense and overall structure. I think he is behind the bench during the game. The goal is to integrate structure with the goaltending.  It’s pretty obvious that goaltenders are better when they see the shots, the D keeps the crease clear and the shots on the outside.  I don’t think the 3 shutouts are a coincidence despite 41 and 47 shots in 2 of those games.  Ullmark said last night that he was able to see the shots and most were from the outside.

Yeah, modern goaltending coaches not only work with goaltenders on technique, but also with coordination between goalies and D on how to play specific situations so goalies will know what the D will do, helping them know how to best position themselves.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.