2019-2020 Lineup

GASabresIUFAN

It's a same that my sister automatically hates Johansson forever because he took #90 so soon, because while I don't think he's a long term answer at 2C, if he stays healthy, we're really going to like him.

Cross our fingers though, because he's one of those guys that seems to become a horrifying player if injuries happen and linger 

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Ullmark.thumb.PNG.77e4e4ea72a070b1855adfe1ab398a24.PNG

Hutton.thumb.PNG.8ba74532ead13aea03bac3b9081c8c9a.PNG

I'm not sure why this discrepancy exists, but between this and the preseason each has had, I'd go with Ullmark tomorrow. 

It wasn’t clearly stated, but it sure sounds like Bales will be picking the starters this year.

https://theathletic.com/1259952/2019/10/02/how-sabres-opening-night-roster-compares-lineups-of-past/

Simple view of this year’s opening night starters, vs last year’s. (And other years) We are definitely better on paper.  The question is will it make any difference in the standings.  Many rivals think HCRK is a real difference maker, especially culture wise.

Line 1 - Olofsson Eichel Reinhart vs Skinner Eichel Reinhart - is Olofsson even a step down from Skinner?  
Line 2 - Skinner Johansson Sobotka vs Sheary Berglund Thompson - Despite Sobotka this line is vastly improved

Line 3 - Vesey Mitts Sheary vs Sobotka Mitts KO - Mitts has to improve; at least his wingers are younger, faster and imho better.

Line 4 - Girgensons Larsson KO vs Girgensons ERod Pommers - The current group was very effective last year when put together.

(I think Yerdon has these pairings wrong) - Pairings listed as in the article 

D1 - Dahlin Risto vs Scandella Risto - (it should be McCabe Risto) - Regardless, this is better.

D2 - McCabe Miller vs McCabe Dahlin - Miller is a solid replacement for Dahlin on this line with Dahlin now on the top line.

D3 - Scandella Jokiharju - Baloo Nelson - A healthy Scandy and the talented Joker vs two marginal NHL players.

• 2 weeks later...

Last year, Eichel was most productive (on a per-game basis) on Saturdays, but Monday was easily his best goal-scoring day. 7 goals in 8 Monday games, and 28 points in 22 Saturday games. He was only below a point per game on Tuesday, with 13 points in 14 games. 

You're welcome for these utterly useless statistics 

Didn't know what thread to use.... But... 

What's up with Samson, I mean, he's not terrible, but he certainly hasn't been that great. 

Has Jbot made the right call with the contract he handed out. I can't see Reino getting a huge payday with his current metrics/stats, especially if the team ends up fairly good. 

Samson, will most likely be fine, but maybe not as fine as expectations were over the summer. 

Discuss 

8 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Didn't know what thread to use.... But... 

What's up with Samson, I mean, he's not terrible, but he certainly hasn't been that great. 

Has Jbot made the right call with the contract he handed out. I can't see Reino getting a huge payday with his current metrics/stats, especially if the team ends up fairly good. 

Samson, will most likely be fine, but maybe not as fine as expectations were over the summer. 

Discuss 

Better prepare for it. 

Sam had 3 points through the first 8 games last season, 7 so far this year through 8. He ended up with 65 points last year, and even that amount is going to fetch him 7+. He's on pace for 72 points and is known somewhat notoriously for slow starts. 

He's gonna get paid. Or are you just saying you can't see Reinhart getting that from OUR GM?

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Thorny said:

Better prepare for it. 

Sam had 3 points through the first 8 games last season, 7 so far this year through 8. He ended up with 65 points this year, and even that amount is going to fetch him 7+. He's on pace for 72 points and is known somewhat notoriously for slow starts. 

He's certainly not the sexy player of a Skinner or Eichel, but I just don't see him doing a lot out there. Maybe I'm blind to it or missing it, but then again the eichel line has been Meh 5 on 5

1 minute ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

He's certainly not the sexy player of a Skinner or Eichel, but I just don't see him doing a lot out there. Maybe I'm blind to it or missing it, but then again the eichel line has been Meh 5 on 5

Reinhart is making some nice plays this year, so he's getting his points. But he definitely isn't looking like quite the force he was to end last season. I'm just positive he'll get there. He might just be one of those players that starts relatively slow. But I don't mind much because not only does he finish strong, he plays every game. 

We'll see what Botterill thinks. I wouldn't be surprised at all if had/has *a bit* more doubt in his mind than I do, considering the bridge deal he handed out. 

46 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

He hasn’t been dominant, for sure, but I see improvement in him as a player that makes me think he can be that.  His skating, strength on the puck, physical presence and shot all look better.

The first line is playing a lot of neutralizing hockey against other teams top lines right now and I think that's lowering a player like Sam's offensive contributions a bit. He's a responsible player and I think he's carrying a lot of the water for that line in that role.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

The first line is playing a lot of neutralizing hockey against other teams top lines right now and I think that's lowering a player like Sam's offensive contributions a bit. He's a responsible player and I think he's carrying a lot of the water for that line in that role.

I have to agree, I think they are getting harder matchups.  They haven’t had great results at 5 on 5 as a result I think.

47 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Do you think Sam has a similar role as Sobotka, to play sound defense while Eichel and VO light it up?

25 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Do you think Sam has a similar role as Sobotka, to play sound defense while Eichel and VO light it up?

No. Sam is expected and required to produce offence, Vlad is not.

I thought Sam was bad last game, so I’m not surprised to read this today, but Woody’s criticisms aren’t any different than criticisms about Sam have been in previous years or will be in the future: he doesn’t “stand out” enough.

Meanwhile, despite last night’s poor play and the previous night’s bad luck, he’s tied for the team lead in even strength points, and is second in even strength goals, and fourth in actual goals and actual points. Up until the Kings game he was averaging a point per game. He’s having his best start statistically ever and is pacing for the second- most points by a Sabre in more than a decade.

Im not sure what people expect, but the stats for the past 130 games or so say he is at least a $7 million player.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.