2019-2020 Lineup

GASabresIUFAN

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

@dudacek love the analysis, disagree on the conclusion.

Miller replacing Baloo is a huge upgrade.  Miller is top 4 on most teams and a huge upgrade to PP2.  Baloo is a marginal NHL D.

Montour is also a huge upgrade on Bogo, both speed, O and puck moving.  He is also an upgrade defensively.  These two moves alone would be a big step forward.  

Olofsson and MoJo are also huge step forward. MoJo is 20 pts better then Pominville and Olofsson 25 goal potential adds another dimension which we didn’t have last year and another legit top 6 player.  

Yesterday, our depth team competed well with a legit version of the Pens and even outskated them most of the game.  This team is close to being a playoff contender.  Any growth from Tage and Mitts and decent play from Vesey could give us 3 solid scoring lines and a legit playoff opportunity. Goaltending is still suspect and could be the Achilles heal, but Ullmark and Hutton have showed enough good play that if the D improves as I suspect this will be much less of an issue then last year.

Do I ever hope you’re right.

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Hoping it's Sheary in for Sobotka, and he'll be waived. 

Rodrigues replaces Lazar, Lazar waived. 

Elie, Asplund, Wilson sent down too, Okposo as the 13th man. 

- - - 

Olofsson - Eichel - Reinhart

Skinner - Johansson - Sheary

Vesey - Mittelstadt - Rodrigues 

Girgensons - Larsson - Thompson

(Okposo)

Dahlin - Miller 

McCabe - Ristolainen

Scandella - Jokiharju

(Gilmour, Nelson)

I think your Sobotka thinking is wishful thinking.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Good post, agree with most up until that ^ line at the end. 

That's definitely possible, but if we are in the playoff race, I think it's more likely because Jack REALLY goes off, and takes a MacKinnon like step, Reinhart continues the path to becoming Mark Stone I now think he might be on, and Dahlin takes the jump expected of a player of his talents. 

Oh, and the goalies rebound. 

I would say that if any of those things happen, the coaching staff will get a big chunk of credit, deserved or not. ?

41 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I would say that if any of those things happen, the coaching staff will get a big chunk of credit, deserved or not. ?

Definitely. Similar in ways to how Binnington supposedly "saved" the Blues. Lots of correlation there combined with some causation. 

Krueger's impact would be a little more difficult to siphon out, though. 

Edited by Thorny

Now that the roster looks pretty set, this is what I'd go with:

Skinner-Eichel-Rodrigues

Olofsson-Johansson-Reinhart 

Vesey-Mittelstadt-Sheary

Girgensons-Larsson-Okposo

Dahlin-Miller 

McCabe-Jokiharju

Gilmour-Ristolainen 

I expect things to look considerably different from what I'd do. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED
  • Like (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Skinner-Eichel-Rodrigues

Vesey-Mittelstadt-Sheary

Dahlin-Miller 

McCabe-Jokiharju

Gilmour-Ristolainen 

I expect things in the to look considerably different from what I'd do. 

Flip Skinner and Olofsson, Reinhart and Rodrigues, and Ristolainen and Jokiharju and you have the version out of these presumably healthy 22 that I'd run with.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Skinner-Eichel-Rodrigues

Vesey-Mittelstadt-Sheary

Dahlin-Miller 

McCabe-Jokiharju

Gilmour-Ristolainen 

I expect things to look considerably different from what I'd do. 

This is what I'd do - and I'm imagining a Risto trade for a RW to replace Rodrigues, Rodrigues in for Sheary, and Sheary just gone somewhere while KO gets his spot taken by Lazar or something

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

This is what I'd do - and I'm imagining a Risto trade for a RW to replace Rodrigues, Rodrigues in for Sheary, and Sheary just gone somewhere while KO gets his spot taken by Lazar or something

This is where I think things are heading, it just needs to shake out.

Who really thinks Jack and Jeff start game one together? Or that Risto isn’t in the top 4?

To me, Ralph has shown us where he is going. The only questions are whether Sheary plugs in with Mojo or Casey, which one of ERod Sobotka or Okposo sits if Sheary draws in, and will Gilmour get the start over Joki despite being a leftie.

This might be a the method to Botterill’s Madness. I am paraphrasing and am probably misinterpreted but Jeff Marek was discussing yesterday on Hockey Central  that teams want to keep the maximum amount of money and stay close to cap to maximize the amount of money you can put on LTIR. This would allow for more moves to be made after the team is cap compliant at 5pm 

Maybe Taro can weigh in on this. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

This might be a the method to Botterill’s Madness. I am paraphrasing and am probably misinterpreted but Jeff Marek was discussing yesterday on Hockey Central  that teams want to keep the maximum amount of money and stay close to cap to maximize the amount of money you can put on LTIR. This would allow for more moves to be made after the team is cap compliant at 5pm 

I think this came up in another thread.  Wish I could remember which one.

20 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I've covered this in one of the other threads, but Readers Digest version is: when you use BF-LTIR whatever you salary cap payroll is (as opposed to actual payroll) becomes effectively your team's salary cap.  So, if the cap were $82MM and your payroll was at $80MM prior to LTIRing a $5MM player, you could bring in replacement player(s) having up to $3MM in salary, not the full $5MM because you don't get cap relief for salary that doesn't take you over the cap (and the 1st $2MM got you to the cap, it was the next $3MM that takes the team over.)

As long as the team keeps a player (or players - hello Hunwick) on LTIR, that effective cap at the time you started using LTIR remains your cap.

The Sabres are currently just under $1.6MM over the cap.  Waiving Jokiharju and Olofsson would put them ~$200k under the cap.  So, if Bogosian &  Hunwick go on LTIR, the Sabres would effectively have ~$200k more dead cap than just Hodgson 's dead cap.

Were they to put those guys on LTIR with, oh, say Sobotka and his ~$3MM contract in Ra-cha-cha then they'd effectively have just about $3MM extra in dead cap the entire season due to the expectation that Hunwick will be on IR all year.

Pretty sure stuff is set up that way to both limit abuse of LTIR and to minimize escrow the players forfeit at the end of the year as Hunwick 's and Bogosian 's actual salaries paid while on IR count against the players' share.

And there are nuances to all this (due to team cap getting calculated each day) but that gives a reasonable overview of the mechanics.

Edited by Taro T
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.