2019-2020 Lineup

GASabresIUFAN

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

So it’s just Hunwick? 

No.  Because Bogosian will be there as well.

Edit: Probably because there is no need nor incentive to have Bogosian's salary taken off the cap as the Sabres players (not including Hunwick's AAV) (once guys are recalled after Hunwick goes LTIR) total cap hit won't exceed the cap.  Should a trade get made that may change.

Edited by Taro T

50 minutes ago, Taro T said:

He already maximized it.  The LTIR guys have been designated, which is how they were able to bring Dea, Pilut, and Lazar back up.  They'd be over the cap by about $2MM if the LTIR wasn't included in the day's maneuvers.

Wrong. Those players are not going to stay up. They were only there so that our roster was exceeding the cap for as close as possible to what Hunwicks relief gives us. 

OK.  Correction to the above.  I'd been under the impression today was the league's 1st day.  It isn't, tomorrow is.  Sorry.

So, the moves Botterill made, were made to keep the correct # of bodies on the roster while being able to pull Jokiharju and Olofsson back up tomorrow.  (You can't send a player down and have him come back up the same day and not have his salary count against the cap.)

So, now the Sabres are about $2.22MM over the cap.  Tomorrow, they will send Dea, Pilut, and Lazar down to be cap compliant.  They will then put at least Hunwick on LTIR and possibly other guys on LTIR.  But likely only Hunwick goes to LTIR unless they have need for additional cap space. They will then have enough cap space to bring Olofsson and Jokiharju back up.

Should they need additional cap space to make say a Ristolainen trade occur, they could also put Bogosian and or Montour on BF-LTIR should they be willing to go without either/ both for 10 games &/or 24 days and an NHL Dr confirm they wouldn't be expected to play for at least that long.  And that designation can be made retroactively, so there is no incentive to place anyone but Hunwick on BF-LTIR at present as there is no urgent need for the added cap space and they don't really receive any benefit until the cap space is exceeded.

But, should they make a trade and have to put them on BF-LTIR and either or both be deemed eligible to play, the team would immediately need to free up the cap room to place them back onto the roster.  So, don't expect any trade for Ristolainen to bring back any more than ~$900k in excess salary back should a trade happen as that's about all the Sabres could save by going to a 22 man roster.

Also, apologies about saying the Sabres will be losing ~$200k in cap space by implementing LTIR for Hunwick.  Just eyeballed it from this morning's current cap projection from NHL Numbers.  Looks like the cap space minus Olofsson & Jokiharju (or now Dea, Lazar, and Pilut) is ~$28k.  Oooops.

And pretty sure the reason UPL doesn't count against the Sabres cap and can be sent down is he was not in the NHL prior to having his injury/surgery.  Had he been an NHLer, he'd also count against the cap and at least 1 other guy would have had to go down to clear his cap room tomorrow.

Again, apologies on creating confusion on this.

Just now, Taro T said:

OK.  Correction to the above.  I'd been under the impression today was the league's 1st day.  It isn't, tomorrow is.  Sorry.

So, the moves Botterill made, were made to keep the correct # of bodies on the roster while being able to pull Jokiharju and Olofsson back up tomorrow.  (You can't send a player down and have him come back up the same day and not have his salary count against the cap.)

So, now the Sabres are about $2.22MM over the cap.  Tomorrow, they will send Dea, Pilut, and Lazar down to be cap compliant.  They will then put at least Hunwick on LTIR and possibly other guys on LTIR.  But likely only Hunwick goes to LTIR unless they have need for additional cap space. They will then have enough cap space to bring Olofsson and Jokiharju back up.

Should they need additional cap space to make say a Ristolainen trade occur, they could also put Bogosian and or Montour on BF-LTIR should they be willing to go without either/ both for 10 games &/or 24 days and an NHL Dr confirm they wouldn't be expected to play for at least that long.  And that designation can be made retroactively, so there is no incentive to place anyone but Hunwick on BF-LTIR at present as there is no urgent need for the added cap space and they don't really receive any benefit until the cap space is exceeded.

But, should they make a trade and have to put them on BF-LTIR and either or both be deemed eligible to play, the team would immediately need to free up the cap room to place them back onto the roster.  So, don't expect any trade for Ristolainen to bring back any more than ~$900k in excess salary back should a trade happen as that's about all the Sabres could save by going to a 22 man roster.

Also, apologies about saying the Sabres will be losing ~$200k in cap space by implementing LTIR for Hunwick.  Just eyeballed it from this morning's current cap projection from NHL Numbers.  Looks like the cap space minus Olofsson & Jokiharju (or now Dea, Lazar, and Pilut) is ~$28k.  Oooops.

And pretty sure the reason UPL doesn't count against the Sabres cap and can be sent down is he was not in the NHL prior to having his injury/surgery.  Had he been an NHLer, he'd also count against the cap and at least 1 other guy would have had to go down to clear his cap room tomorrow.

Again, apologies on creating confusion on this.

This looks right. I knew there was something weird about league first day that we were missing.

1 minute ago, triumph_communes said:

Wrong. Those players are not going to stay up. They were only there so that our roster was exceeding the cap for as close as possible to what Hunwicks relief gives us. 

No, you are wrong.  The team needs to be below the cap WITH Hunwick on the roster tomorrow.  Once they are, he'll get put on the list and then Olofsson and Jokiharju will be brought back uo.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Yeah, we missed that I misread the Athletic's banner about the 1st day of the league season and thought that was today. D'oh!

So basically we find out tomorrow who is going on LTIR. That'll be interesting.

I don't expect Bogo to be there. But you never know. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

So basically we find out tomorrow who is going on LTIR. That'll be interesting.

I don't expect Bogo to be there. But you never know. 

Correct.  Most likely they only put Hunwick there as he's the only 1 necessary.  Should Botterill come up with a trade, all bets are off.

I have not been following the Sabres off-season at all this year. Knowing the NHL roster deadline was recently passed, I checked in on sabres.com today to see who they were suiting up this year. WOOF. That is one of the most anemic forward groups I have ever seen assembled. These guys are going to suck out loud. 

Well, that's all I got. Go Sabres. 

Since we're doing charts in the other thread, I thought it'd be fun to re-visit team charts briefly here.  This is what the Sabres looked like last season:

BUFBUF

Compared to their 100 point season 2009-2010:

BUFBUF

Not a hell of a lot of difference defensively (although between 2007-2008 and now, there were much better years defensively).

We had Connolly, Roy, Pominstein, Vanek, Myers, and Hecht all with over 40 points.  Roy had, ironically, 69 points.

And, ironically, Miller played 69 games ending with a SV% of .929. (Hutton had a .908 and Ullmark a .905 last year.)

15 players with 20 or more points in 2009-2010. 10 players with 20 or more points last year. Tim Kennedy had one more point than Mitts.  Kaleta had more points than Angry Larry, Sobotka and Tage.

Far to go?

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, shrader said:

@Taro T, I see Pilut and Jokiharju with the same exact cap hit. So why the need for the swap of those two? Is there some signing bonus somewhere that I’m not seeing or does the one extra year on Jokiharju’s deal factor in somehow?

I thought Pilut was on IR and couldn’t go down until cleared?

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

No, you are wrong.  The team needs to be below the cap WITH Hunwick on the roster tomorrow.  Once they are, he'll get put on the list and then Olofsson and Jokiharju will be brought back uo.

Worded it wrong. Their contracts bring us right up to the cap, which lets us exceed the near entirety of Hubwicks LTIR relief. 

4 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

So will Lazar need to clear waivers again when he goes back down, or is he free to just send back down since he already cleared before?

I think once a player clears waivers, he doesn't have to clear again for 30 days.

Edited by Doohickie

20 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Schopp going off here around 24 mins to 36 mins really speaks for many - 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/10-1-hr-2-schopp-bulldog

Great stuff. 

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

Yeah, I had to turn them off this afternoon. Just incredible levels of wailing.

I’m with @darksabre on this one. I tuned him out too.

He certainly captures what many are feeling, but it’s a point of view jaundiced far too much by the past.

I have no interest in wallowing in it. Keep moving forward.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’m with @darksabre on this one. I tuned him out too.

He certainly captures what many are feeling, but it’s a point of view jaundiced far too much by the past.

I have no interest in wallowing in it. Keep moving forward.

The 2018-19 season, eons ago, when Sobotka was the worst player in the NHL. 

His arguments were mostly grounded in how the season unfolded last year. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Yeah, I had to turn them off this afternoon. Just incredible levels of wailing.

I'll be somewhere where music is playing, and it'll be a song I don't really care for, and it'll sound far too loud. Then a good song will come on, and suddenly it doesn't sound too loud anymore.

It sounds like wailing because you don't agree with the message, to me, it sounds like honest venting brought on by the truth of the reality. Super subjective in the end. Still, I liked it, so I posted it. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

I'll be somewhere where music is playing, and it'll be a song I don't really care for, and it'll sound far too loud. Then a good song will come on, and suddenly it doesn't sound too loud anymore.

It sounds like wailing because you don't agree with the message, to me, it sounds like honest venting brought on by the truth of the reality. 

It's wailing. These guys have been covering sports for decades and you'd think they'd be a little wiser for it and provide some content that reflects that.

But I understand, they have to appeal to their listener base: the worst opinion havers on all sports topics.

It's too bad really. They could be worth listening to at moments like this.

20 minutes ago, darksabre said:

It's wailing. These guys have been covering sports for decades and you'd think they'd be a little wiser for it and provide some content that reflects that.

But I understand, they have to appeal to their listener base: the worst opinion havers on all sports topics.

It's too bad really. They could be worth listening to at moments like this.

After covering the Sabres for the last decade, surely you can see that the wailing is the content that reflects that.

The second bolded, don't even really know where to get started on that given the context you are making that statement in (the one in which I'm agreeing with this instance of their product). But whatever. You can certainly disagree with what the majority and all the stats tell you just because you want to, but taking the default position that a bad player playing high in the line-up is a bad thing is quite far from the "worst opinion" out there. 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.