Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

Just now, Huckleberry said:

I think you underestimate how good he is as 4C -  for me he has been one of the few bright spots on this team actually.

Agree, he is very good at his role, but it’s a low end role in the NHL.  Plays good defense and produces zero offense.

I don’t think any 4th liners need to be signed to 3+ year deals.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Agree, he is very good at his role, but it’s a low end role in the NHL.  Plays good defense and produces zero offense.

I don’t think any 4th liners need to be signed to 3+ year deals.

I’m would be surprised if most playoffs have three years of continuity on their fourth lines. Good teams don’t fill their fourth lines like that.

3 hours ago, #freejame said:

I’m would be surprised if most playoffs have three years of continuity on their fourth lines. Good teams don’t fill their fourth lines like that.

It is uncommon.  However,  Had the Sabres kept the co-captains, that 4th line of Mair, Gaustad, Kaleta, et al. could have lasted a while.

4 minutes ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

It is uncommon.  However,  Had the Sabres kept the co-captains, that 4th line of Mair, Gaustad, Kaleta, et al. could have lasted a while.

One of these things is not like the other...Goose did a lot, Mair and Kaleta were plugs and at the time could have been replaced yearly if the team wanted that role.

Even with getting 3out of 4 points these last two games this team is not a playoff team.  I look for them to finish around the 80 point mark.  That being said here are the moves to be made before trade deadline.

Sheary to Columbus for a 2021 4th rd pick.

Bogo to Carolina for a 2020 3rd rd pick. Sabres retain half of salary.  This gives Sabres back pick from Skinner trade.  Bogo gives them depth d with Hamilton out for rest of year.

Frolik to Islanders for 2020 4th pick.  Islanders have cap room and Frolik fits their defensive style game.

Risto and Vesey to Vegas for Tuch, Merrill and 2020 3rd pick.  Vesey is big body and defensively responsible like Tuch.  Risto gives Vegas top RD they need.  Sabres get a top six RW.

Off season potential moves:

Rights to ERod and conditional 2021 3rd pick to Edmonton for rights to Puljujarvi.  

Thompson and 2020 3rd rd pick to Columbus for rights to Josh Anderson.

New 2020 line up-

Olofsson- Eichel- Tuch

Skinner- Johansson- Reinhart

Puljujarvi- Cozens- Anderson

Girgenssons- Lazar- Asplund

D-

Dahlin- Montour

McCabe- Joker

Pilut- Miller

6 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Even with getting 3out of 4 points these last two games this team is not a playoff team.  I look for them to finish around the 80 point mark.  That being said here are the moves to be made before trade deadline.

Bogo to Carolina for a 2020 3rd rd pick. Sabres retain half of salary.  This gives Sabres back pick from Skinner trade.  Bogo gives them depth d with Hamilton out for rest of year.

Frolik to Islanders for 2020 4th pick.  Islanders have cap room and Frolik fits their defensive style game.

Risto and Vesey to Vegas for Tuch, Merrill and 2020 3rd pick.  Vesey is big body and defensively responsible like Tuch.  Risto gives Vegas top RD they need.  Sabres get a top six RW.

Rights to ERod and conditional 2021 3rd pick to Edmonton for rights to Puljujarvi.  

New 2020 line up-

Olofsson- Eichel- Tuch

D-

Dahlin- Montour

McCabe- Joker

Pilut- Miller

Generally, I like what you did.   My concern is toughness.  I don't see that line up being tough to play against, especially the D.  I know it's heresy, but I would have liked an Okposo for Lucic trade (to be a scarecrow if nothing else).

Two things, Carolina has one of the smartest analytics departments in the league, I highly doubt they trade for Bogo in the first place let alone give up a 3rd Round Pick even if the Sabres could retain 100% of His Salary. 

And Johansson has proven he is incapable of being a 2C, having Reinhart as his RW will help but I would like to improve that position . 

I do wonder if Pittsburgh might be interested in Sheary as well given his playoff history with them. 

Botterill should use his three salary retention slots to increase his return 

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Two things, Carolina has one of the smartest analytics departments in the league, I highly doubt they trade for Bogo in the first place let alone give up a 3rd Round Pick even if the Sabres could retain 100% of His Salary. 

And Johansson has proven he is incapable of being a 2C, having Reinhart as his RW will help but I would like to improve that position . 

I do wonder if Pittsburgh might be interested in Sheary as well given his playoff history with them. 

Botterill should use his three salary retention slots to increase his return 

He won't though. 

26 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't get the josh Anderson thing at all. Why do I want another meh bottom 6 forward?

The hope is of course that he rebounds from the poor season that he has had so far.  The previous 3 seasons he had scored 63 goals in 223 games, 57 of them at ES.  I would say he was a quality 3rd liner.

18 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

So he's a mid-bot 6?

What does “mid-bot 6” mean?

middle-bottom 6?  What’s that?  2nd, 3rd, or 4th liner?

I said I think he is a quality 3rd liner.  I think that a lot more descriptive than mid-bot 6.

Edited by Curt

On 2/8/2020 at 8:45 AM, sweetlou said:

New 2020 line up-

Olofsson- Eichel- Tuch

D-

Dahlin- Montour

McCabe- Joker

Pilut- Miller

You're still missing a 2C.

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

One other small detail, the Sabres 2020 3rd belongs to Carolina from the Skinner Trade and their 2021 belongs to the Rangers for Vesey 

I think you are mis-reading what was proposed. The proposed deals were Bogo to Carolina to get back our 3rd and the other deal was to trade Vesey and Risto to Vegas getting a 3rd rounder plus back in the deal. Those deals are done now and the picks used in the off season to make the other deals in which we relinquish those picks again.

So, we are obtaining those picks to be used later.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.