Draft lottery day thread 8PM NBCSN

#freejame

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think the move up 4 spots lottery was better. Make it 5 spots if needed but going from 12th to 3rd, barf. 

But we have to combat tanking, the practice that has existed in all of these leagues since drafts were first held. Honestly, I’d just eliminate them all together, but the two leagues like it for the drama. 

I actually like the lottery system as it is currently.  Dropping the top teams just enough, and introducing enough randomness, that it’s not worth it to tank for a specific player.  

I like Eichel as much as the next guy, but the whole McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes, trade away anyone with a pulse, lose as many as you can, race to the bottom, was not a good look for the league or Buffalo.

Edited by Curtisp5286

3 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

I actually like the lottery system as it is currently.  Dropping the top teams just enough, and introducing enough randomness, that it’s not worth it to tank for a specific player.  

I like Eichel as much as the next guy, but the whole McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes, trade away anyone with a pulse, lose as many as you can, race to the bottom, was not a good look for the league or Buffalo.

and after 4 yrs look at their teams. a disgrace. tanking doesn't help anyone.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Every single team has a greater chance of staying the same or falling back as opposed to moving up. But by all means, think it’s a stupid system designed to screw Buffalo. 

It doesn't just screw Buffalo, it screws every team that legitimately needs talent to build it's roster.

23 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I've been told it's the only way to break the cycle of the race to ninth.

Oh, wait. I guess it did that.

26 minutes ago, calti said:

and after 4 yrs look at their teams. a disgrace. tanking doesn't help anyone.

I didn’t realize that Jack and Sam were hanging up their skates. Too bad. I figured they had at least another decade. 

11 hours ago, Claude_Verret said:

Yep. This should only reinforce how fortunate we were to finally beat the odds to land Dahlin last year.

Could you imagine what people on here would do if the Sabres dropped to 4th last year?

11 hours ago, Billznut said:

It’s Ok to admit once in awhile that the Sabres get NO breaks. 

They apparently did last year when despite the probability being greater that they drop out of the top spot they actually landed it.  

9 hours ago, Derrico said:

Everyone say it with me.....because Buffalo....

Oy. No. because probability...

---------------------

I don't like that teams can jump so high in the lottery, it does seem to make it fairly stupid.  This is what happened a couple of years ago though when Philly and NJ made big jumps. Philly from 13 to 2 and NJ from 5 to 1...  There really should be a limit of how many spots a team can move up.  I still prefer that the team that finishes last gets the top pick.  That system may influence teams who are out of the race to make moves to improve their chances of finishing last, but I'm not sure the lottery has changed that behavior.

9 minutes ago, LTS said:

Could you imagine what people on here would do if the Sabres dropped to 4th last year?

They apparently did last year when despite the probability being greater that they drop out of the top spot they actually landed it.  

---------------------

I don't like that teams can jump so high in the lottery, it does seem to make it fairly stupid.  This is what happened a couple of years ago though when Philly and NJ made big jumps. Philly from 13 to 2 and NJ from 5 to 1...  There really should be a limit of how many spots a team can move up.  I still prefer that the team that finishes last gets the top pick.  That system may influence teams who are out of the race to make moves to improve their chances of finishing last, but I'm not sure the lottery has changed that behavior.

I'll take what we got...1st last year + 7th this year vs. dropping to 4th last year and getting 1st this year. In other words, we all should still be over the moon that we have Dahlin.

Although I wont hold my breath, this result should also hopefully once and for all remove the term "tanking" from the NHL lexicon. The system was put into place to discourage the practice, and no team in their right mind will engage in it going forward so long as the lottery continues to follow the immutable laws of probability and yields results like we observed last night.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, LTS said:

---------------------

The old limit on how far you could jump up always seemed a bit pointless to me.  If you're going to do a lottery, you might as well do it without that limit.  That said, I'm with you on not having it at all.  Sometimes teams just suck.  Ottawa had no reason to tank this year, but they still finished dead last.  For every one year where that's happening, we've probably had 5 or 6 where the worst team got their solely on their own incompetence.  I'd say that the current lottery has had more of an impact on the trade market than it has on the so called tanking.

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

You don't want teams to tank?  Bring in relegation.  ?

Don't want teams to tank, once you are eliminated from the playoffs, you start counting points towards the draft. So the first team eliminated would have the possibility of getting the most points. You get the most points and you draft 1st. Then count down from there. A team getting eliminated on the last day will draft where they should and a team that gets eliminated because they suck in early March has to still play to try and get to the top of the draft board. 

The sooner most of us realize that Gary Bettman and his cronies want the worst for the Buffalo Sabres, the better off we will all be.

I've come to accept it for what it is. For the Sabres to be great, it will take efforts to get over hurdles that other franchises do not face.

3 minutes ago, Swedesessed said:

The sooner most of us realize that Gary Bettman and his cronies want the worst for the Buffalo Sabres, the better off we will all be.

I've come to accept it for what it is. For the Sabres to be great, it will take efforts to get over hurdles that other franchises do not face.

They may want that but if they controlled the lottery, there is no way in hell they let us have Rasmus Dahlin. 

Gary Bettman saved the Sabres franchise for Buffalo by keeping the doors open and bringing in Golisano.

People who think otherwise are willfully blind.

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Don't want teams to tank, once you are eliminated from the playoffs, you start counting points towards the draft. So the first team eliminated would have the possibility of getting the most points. You get the most points and you draft 1st. Then count down from there. A team getting eliminated on the last day will draft where they should and a team that gets eliminated because they suck in early March has to still play to try and get to the top of the draft board. 

Why should the league be worried about tanking? It’s not like history has shown it’s a guaranteed path to success.

Just now, LGR4GM said:

They may want that but if they controlled the lottery, there is no way in hell they let us have Rasmus Dahlin. 

Perhaps but the Sabres were the favorites to win that year. A broken clock is right twice a day.

Lost 2 spots this year

Lost 2 spots in Matthews lottery

Lost max spots (1) in McDavid lottery

Lost max spots (1) in Ekbald lottery

Have the Sabres EVER moved up in a lottery like franchises like New Jersey, Chicago, and Edmonton do routinely?

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Gary Bettman saved the Sabres franchise for Buffalo by keeping the doors open and bringing in Golisano.

People who think otherwise are willfully blind.

Why should the league be worried about tanking? It’s not like history has shown it’s a guaranteed path to success.

I don't think they should. I was just offering an incentive to keep games competitive that last month. 

1 minute ago, Swedesessed said:

Perhaps but the Sabres were the favorites to win that year. A broken clock is right twice a day.

Lost 2 spots this year

Lost 2 spots in Matthews lottery

Lost max spots (1) in McDavid lottery

Lost max spots (1) in Ekbald lottery

Have the Sabres EVER moved up in a lottery like franchises like New Jersey, Chicago, and Edmonton do routinely?

It's called luck. We had an 18% chance of Dahlin, if that is lottery we win, I can live with that. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't think they should. I was just offering an incentive to keep games competitive that last month. 

It's called luck. We had an 18% chance of Dahlin, if that is lottery we win, I can live with that. 

Also, I recall the year of the McDavid lottery is when the NHL was so eager to change the percentages.

I would bet thousands that if New York and Chicago were tanking that year and not Buffalo and Edmonton, the league would not been as eager to make those quick changes.

Between the crease rule for No Goal and the Sabres tanking for McDavid, it amazes me how fast the league works when something could benefit a franchise like Buffalo. 'Suddenly', they are prompt and quick!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.