2019 NHL Draft

LGR4GM

3 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Depends on who goes after 4 and if a second D is selected before then.

I think there is 1% chance a D goes in the top 6 not named Byram. 

Right now we are going to get:

1. Hughes
  2. Kakko
  3. Turcotte/Byram
  4. Byram/Turcotte
  5. Dach/Cozens
  6. Cozens/Caufield/Zegras
  7. Caufield, Cozens, Dach, and Zegras
  • Like (+1) 2

I think Chicago will take Turcotte but could see them taking Byram. I think Colorado wants to take a forward but knows that Byram is too good to pass on. LA is going with Dach or Cozens IMPO. They want big and fast to replace an aging roster. They really need defense but I don't think Byram will be there. Detroit could do anything but I think they will be looking at Cozens or Zegras with a darkhorse shot at Caufield. I think Buffalo has Caufield and Zegras near the top of their list but will take Caufield because scoring. 

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think Chicago will take Turcotte but could see them taking Byram. I think Colorado wants to take a forward but knows that Byram is too good to pass on. LA is going with Dach or Cozens IMPO. They want big and fast to replace an aging roster. They really need defense but I don't think Byram will be there. Detroit could do anything but I think they will be looking at Cozens or Zegras with a darkhorse shot at Caufield. I think Buffalo has Caufield and Zegras near the top of their list but will take Caufield because scoring. 

Probably the closest prediction to what actually happens unless there are some trades... any sense if trades among top 10 are likely or are anything else unexpected happening?

Edited by North Buffalo

2 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Probably the closest prediction to what actually happens unless there are some trades... any sense if trades among top 10 are likely or are anything else unexpected happening?

Well the top 3 will stay put. I see no reason for Colorado to trade out. LA could since the need defense like a fish needs water. Detroit is staying put. There just never is moment inside the top 10. It never really happens. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Well the top 3 will stay put. I see no reason for Colorado to trade out. LA could since the need defense like a fish needs water. Detroit is staying put. There just never is moment inside the top 10. It never really happens. 

I could see Colorado moving if they don’t have whoever Chicago leaves from Byrum/Turcotte as their top guy. They aren’t afraid to go their own way. But you are right, the cap era has effectively squashed movement, at least in the top 5.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/often-top-10-nhl-draft-picks-traded-june/

Edited by dudacek

The Kings have been reported to have a desire to move down, but would want to stay in the Top 10 as they are looking for immediate help particularly on defense.  

I think they would be looking for McCabe in return to move down two slots and that’s not worth it unless by some miracle Turcotte is there. 

I think the Top Six goes like this:

1. Hughes 

2. Kaapo

3. Turcotte 

4. Byram

5. Dach

6. Zegras

I agree with Liger that it will be between Cozens, Caufield but I would add Newhook as well. 

Playing in the BCHL dropped his stock but he did dominate the competition and looked pretty damn good at the U-18s

The Mittelstadt and Laaskenson Picks prove Botterill will go off the board at times.

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I think the Top Six goes like this:

1. Hughes 

2. Kaapo

3. Turcotte 

4. Byram

5. Dach

6. Zegras

I agree with Liger that it will be between Cozens, Caufield but I would add Newhook as well. 

Playing in the BCHL dropped his stock but he did dominate the competition and looked pretty damn good at the U-18s

The Mittelstadt and Laaskenson Picks prove Botterill will go off the board at times.

I totally agree with the order. I hope we take Cozens in this scenario. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Here's hoping Detroit drafts Podz, because I really would hate to see Buffalo draft a midget. 

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

I would love to be in that room listening to 18 scouts pitch their players to the GM, AGM and head scout.

Jankowski's background is interesting with the Euro connection. He would have a good understanding of comparing accomplishments in different leagues.

The more I read about Dach the more I want someone else to take him. The comparisons to Getzlaf are flattering but his skating is not the greatest.

The Blues Cup win may get the copycat teams returning to LAK heavy hockey. Tim Murray would be proud. Dach has the size but does not sound overly physical. He may be high on a few boards.

• Like (+1) 1

They are not taking Broberg.  TM might have but not Jbot.  Jbot is most likely taking the center highest his list.  

What I find interesting in the Jankowski article is that Sexton and Bots developed a prospect model. The model is allegedly based on how Jbot wants his team to play but size and speed don’t seem to be dominate factors.  If they focus on speed you don’t draft Samuelsson.  The only discernible factor seems to be longer development time until you have to sign them to a ELC.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

https://theathletic.com/1029034/2019/06/16/custance-examining-the-trade-possibilities-of-every-first-round-pick-in-the-2019-nhl-draft/

7. and 31. Buffalo Sabres – The Sabres have no interest in trading completely out of the No. 7 spot. There’s a strong likelihood they make that pick. They also hold pick No. 31 from the Ryan O’Reilly trade and there is some flexibility there. It’s possible they move that pick, but the inclination internally now is for them to make both of these picks.

From The Athletic.

I'm kind of sad that the 31st pick isn't in play right now.  Yes we can use more prospects, but with the Finnish kid we already signed, I think we could risk a trade for a player like Kapanen or as a sweetener in a bigger deal.

• Like (+1) 2