2019 NHL Draft

LGR4GM

52 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I will be surprised Friday if the pick isn’t moved.

Which pick?  If it's #31, then it makes sense, in most cases, I really hope someone falls that another team wants to overpay for, moving down into the 2nd round and gaining a third or fourth round pick would be ideal.  If it's moved for a forward, I hope it's for the right type of guy. 

31 for a player.

Only way 7 is moved is to slide up or down a couple spots, and I doubt that will happen.

14 minutes ago, TheCerebral1 said:

Which pick?  If it's #31, then it makes sense, in most cases, I really hope someone falls that another team wants to overpay for, moving down into the 2nd round and gaining a third or fourth round pick would be ideal.  If it's moved for a forward, I hope it's for the right type of guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

7. and 31. Buffalo Sabres – The Sabres have no interest in trading completely out of the No. 7 spot. There’s a strong likelihood they make that pick. They also hold pick No. 31 from the Ryan O’Reilly trade and there is some flexibility there. It’s possible they move that pick, but the inclination internally now is for them to make both of these picks.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://theathletic.com/1029034/2019/06/16/custance-examining-the-trade-possibilities-of-every-first-round-pick-in-the-2019-nhl-draft/

From The Athletic.

I'm kind of sad that the 31st pick isn't in play right now.  Yes we can use more prospects, but with the Finnish kid we already signed, I think we could risk a trade for a player like Kapanen or as a sweetener in a bigger deal.

I agree with this, #31 in play for someone like Kapanen is fine by me, 22 years old coming off a 44 point season.  That's the type of trade we need to do. 

48 minutes ago, dudacek said:

31 for a player.

Only way 7 is moved is to slide up or down a couple spots, and I doubt that will happen.

I agree.  Botts always sounds to me like a draft and develop kind of guy.  But I think after last seasons hot start, fan base ready to revolt, ownership may be applying some pressure.

who would you look to use the pick on?  Any names in mind? 

2 hours ago, Derrico said:

I agree.  Botts always sounds to me like a draft and develop kind of guy.  But I think after last seasons hot start, fan base ready to revolt, ownership may be applying some pressure.

who would you look to use the pick on?  Any names in mind? 

I think they love  Turcotte enough to try to trade up. I think they expect to pick one of Caufield or Zegras. And if all three are gone I think they disappoint us and go D, probably Broberg. Hopefully the latter is tied to a trade down.

No rumours, just guess work based on general impressions.

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think they love  Turcotte enough to try to trade up. I think they expect to pick one of Caufield or Zegras. And if all three are gone I think they disappoint us and go D, probably Broberg. Hopefully the latter is tied to a trade down.

No rumours, just guess work based on general impressions.

If Botterill refuses to go the CHL Route for either Cozens or Dach, Alex Newhook will probably be the Fail Safe Option 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

They are not taking Broberg.  TM might have but not Jbot.  Jbot is most likely taking the center highest his list.  

What I find interesting in the Jankowski article is that Sexton and Bots developed a prospect model. The model is allegedly based on how Jbot wants his team to play but size and speed don’t seem to be dominate factors.  If they focus on speed you don’t draft Samuelsson.  The only discernible factor seems to be longer development time until you have to sign them to a ELC.

Biggest factor to JB. 

Brawndo's mention of Newhook as the fallback seems likely to me for this reason.

Edited by Thorny

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

And so this seems accurate to me. 

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Biggest factor to JB. 

1 hour ago, Derrico said:

Oh come on, not you too!!

I’m a huge Newhook Fan, his upside is as high as Cozens and Dach and his 200 Foot Game reminds me of Turcotte. 

That being said, any CHL Player taken in the Top Ten should have a quicker development pathway to the NHL and at least get a good look in Training Camp if not a nine game tryout. So Cozens or Dach are not out of the realm of possibility 

• Like (+1) 1

McKenzie’s list - usually the most accurate in terms of where a player will get picked - is out.

Turcotte is 4, followed by Dach, Cozens, Zegras, Podkolzin, Caufield and Krebs.

https://www.tsn.ca/americans-set-to-dominate-first-round-of-the-nhl-draft-1.1323878

Also, Jankowski was on GR this morning. Had a lot of enthusiasm in his voice about Caufield (amazed by his numbers), more matter-of-fact about Dach (prototypical big offensive centre) and Cozens (will be an NHL player). Said they’ve talked to Pod twice and feel good that his personality and love of the game will bring him to the NHL. Also trust his agents.

For whatever that’s worth.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

McKenzie’s list - usually the most accurate in terms of where a player will get picked - is out.

Turcotte is 4, followed by Dach, Cozens, Zegras, Podkolzin, Caufield and Krebs.

https://www.tsn.ca/americans-set-to-dominate-first-round-of-the-nhl-draft-1.1323878

Also, Jankowski was on GR this morning. Had a lot of enthusiasm in his voice about Caufield (amazed by his numbers), more matter-of-fact about Dach (prototypical big offensive centre) and Cozens (will be an NHL player). Said they’ve talked to Pod twice and feel good that his personality and love of the game will bring him to the NHL. Also trust his agents.

For whatever that’s worth.

I'd be OK with that as Zegras is the guy (after the big 4) that I'd like to see the Sabres end up with.

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

I'd be OK with that as Zegras is the guy (after the big 4) that I'd like to see the Sabres end up with.

Based on the fact that dudacek's recap of the GR interview didn't mention Zegras at all, it makes me think that they do in fact pick him.  Smokescreens are fun.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

Based on the fact that dudacek's recap of the GR interview didn't mention Zegras at all, it makes me think that they do in fact pick him.  Smokescreens are fun.

Agree with your point, but all the player talk was prompted by the hosts. Those were the 4 guys they asked about.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

That will be interesting to watch as the draft plays out.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I remember leading up to the Bills draft last year Sal Capacio started talking a ton more about the positives of Josh Allen. So much so my Dad and I started wondering if he was setting us up

30 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

it will be interesting to see the reaction if Podkolzin is the pick.  Dangerous but worth the risk?

Personally, I don’t think a Podkolzin is risky from a pure talent standpoint.  If anything he is sort of safer with a lower upside compared to some other guys in the top-10.  

By this I mean that I have some questions about his hockey IQ, but even if that doesn’t come along his physicality, skating, and relentless hustle/intensity mean that he can probably be a 3rd liner at worst.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I see Pod’s ceiling as Evander Kane/Dustin Brown - very useful top six guy, but he doesn’t have the passing game to be an elite guy.

Yes, something like this.  Fast, good shot, big, physical, intense, but lacking playmaking skill and probably not as good hockey IQ as most top-10 picks.

20 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Chris Peters mentioned that Pod plays for St Petersburg, which is one of the more wealthy teams in the KHL, would he be enticed to stay until he can sign a one year ELC at age 24? 

On the positive he is represented by Newport Sports. 

ll be surprised if he is the pick, only because his arrival could be 2 to 4 years off and Botts can't wait that long.  

That bulldog type player is exactly what the Sabres could use though, among other things

However, centers are still the greatest need. thats why I have guys like Cozens, Zegras and Newhook above Boldy, Caufield and Pod

Edited by Crusader1969

8 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

ll be surprised if he is the pick, only because his arrival could be 2 to 4 years off and Botts can't wait that long.  

That bulldog type player is exactly what the Sabres could use though, among other things

However, centers are still the greatest need. thats why I have guys like Cozens, Zegras and Newhook above Boldy, Caufield and Pod

Does Botterill draft for need?

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

In this situation BPA and need could match up perfectly. 

Maybe so, but I've been told repeatedly that all NHL GMs worth their weight draft for BPA exclusively. 

It does look like the pick is Zegras or Caufield. 

Edited by Thorny

42 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Maybe so, but I've been told repeatedly that all NHL GMs worth their weight draft for BPA exclusively. 

It does look like the pick is Zegras or Caufield. 

Botterill and Jankowski are on record saying BPA is the way to go, Jankowski this AM said as such 

• Like (+1) 2