2019 NHL Draft

LGR4GM

24 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

hmmm, hard to say. Zegras has a personality fir sure. Krebs is a known leader. Hard to say which ones are positive but it would be something to look at. We need more fun and personality on this team for sure. 

Don't get dizzy or confused, stick with the game plan of Cozens, we need a center and a shooter, he can do both. 

1 minute ago, jsb said:

Don't get dizzy or confused, stick with the game plan of Cozens, we need a center and a shooter, he can do both. 

I'm not, I was asked a specific question. Cozens being a center makes no nevermind to me. By the time Cozens is ready to go, Mitts will be our 2c anyways. 

4 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

I do too, what if Dachs is around though... not saying I like him... but just not sure if on the board where he would slot.

I don't know what you mean here? 

Edited by LGR4GM
spelling

Caulfied is a scorer but Sabres already have Skinner, Sheary and Olloffson... is his size a determining factor.

Would Dachs slot inbetween Boldy and Caulfield or in front of them.

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I still don't understand what you mean? You mean where he slots in my list? 

Yes

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Caulfied is a scorer but Sabres already have Skinner, Sheary and Olloffson... is his size a determining factor.

For me Dach slots in behind them. He lacks consistency and that is an issue I have. Caufield is very consistent. Boldy I think will have improved consistency when he isn't being asked to adapt his game to whatever. That's my take there. I have Dach lower than Krebs and Newhook too. 

13 hours ago, #freejame said:

@LGR4GM @jame

Let me preface this by saying this is one of the stupidest things I’ve asked, but are there any players in the draft who seem to have as much fun out there as Marner? Just saw his Matthews commercial and on top of all the other stuff I’ve seen, read, and know about him it seems like he enjoys the game and spreads his joy for the game more than damn near anyone else in hockey. I’d love a guy with that sort of positive charisma on the Sabres. 

Hate saying it, because I don’t want Buffalo to draft him at #7, but maybe Caufield.

1 minute ago, North Buffalo said:

Got it wow even with Krebs injury which can take a while to come back from.  Achilles are notorious for slow healing.

Krebs wasn't going to be an NHL player next season anyways so it doesn't really bother me much. Some people really love Dach though, I think he is very creative and has good not great skating. He's fast but not much of a cutter/slashing skater. Decent hands, very good at passing. If we select him I won't hate it but I personally have a preference for those players with extremely good edges. That's a contributing factor. It is all about what you like in a player though. 

Won't be there, but Turcotte is the guy I'd like to see them end up with.  If he's not there, hoping Zegras is there.  Probably would go with Cozens as the 3rd choice.  (Technically would go with Byram after Turcotte, but even less of a chance he slides to 7 than Turcotte has.)

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Yes

I totally agree.  Now they have Skinner for 8 years, my interest in Caufield decreased significantly.  

Go get another Center. Be it Zegras, Cozens or Dach.   

31 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

For me Dach slots in behind them. He lacks consistency and that is an issue I have. Caufield is very consistent. Boldy I think will have improved consistency when he isn't being asked to adapt his game to whatever. That's my take there. I have Dach lower than Krebs and Newhook too. 

Big Dach fan here to chime in a little about the consistency issue.  The origin of this issue/perception is that he didn’t produce hardly anything for a roughly 20 game stretch in the middle of this past season.  I don’t think he was inconsistent on a game to game or shift to shift basis.

I don’t know what was going on with him for that 20 game stretch.  It could have been a health or personal issue, or he could have been putting too much pressure on himself, or it could have been mostly bad puck luck.

Just wanted to clarify that he doesn’t have a long standing issue with consistency in his play.  That makes a difference for me.

• Thanks (+1) 1

It's interesting to see where we are sitting at on the organizational depth chart, anyways. These aren't all the names, just the guys I'd say are A) ranked above the others (in a long term sense) and B) have either had an NHL impact or have a reasonable chance of having an NHL impact. 

Centre: Eichel, Mittelstadt, Larsson, Asplund

LW: Skinner, Sheary, Rodrigues, Olofsson, Davidsson, Smith

RW: Reinhart, Okposo, Nylander, Thompson

LD: Dahlin, McCabe, Scandella, Pilut, Bryson, Samuelsson

RD: Montour, Ristolainen, Nelson, Borgen, Laaksonen

To me, unless we are going to bunch all the wingers together, I think we are most in need at RW, and at RD, particularly if Ristolainen is moved. We could certainly stand to add another C, but I don't think at the expense of BPA, looking at the fact the depth chart is fairly balanced. 

Edited by Thorny

We are now less than two weeks away from draft time.  I have been looking into the players at the top of the draft and the possible Sabres selections at #7.  I wanted to share my top of the draft rankings with everyone.  I stopped at 13 because after that I was going to be getting into the defensemen who I haven’t looked at very deeply.  So without further ado, here is my top 13.  Love it, hate it, discuss it, enjoy it.

TIER ONE

1) Hughes

2) Kakko 

TIER TWO

3) Byram

4) Turcotte

5) Dach

TIER THREE

6) Zegras

7) Cozens

8) Newhook

9) Krebs

TIER FOUR

10) Podkolzin

11) Boldy

12) Kaliyev

13) Caufield

Edited by Curtisp5286

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Centre: Eichel, Mittelstadt, Larsson, Asplund

LW: Skinner, Sheary, Rodrigues, Olofsson, Davidsson, Smith

RW: Reinhart, Okposo, Nylander

LD: Dahlin, McCabe, Scandella, Pilut, Bryson, Samuelsson

RD: Montour, Ristolainen, Nelson, Laaksonen

You can add Thompson at RW, Pekar and Ruotsalainen at LW,  Borgen at RD

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

You can add Thompson at RW, Pekar and Ruotsalainen at LW,  Borgen at RD

Flat out forgot about Thompson (added), don't feel confident on either of the second 2 having an impact. Meant to put Borgen (added).

Edited by Thorny

26 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Flat out forgot about Thompson (added), don't feel confident on either of the second 2 having an impact. Meant to put Borgen (added).

That’s fine, but I don’t see why Pekar and Ruotsalainen should be regarded any lower than Davidsson and Smith.  Pekar especially, I love.  He has an infectiously positive personality and willingness to play a scrappy, gritty, pesty game combined with a good amount of skill and skating.  I think he is a no doubt NHLer and possibly a quality middle-6 winger.  Ruotsalainen, who knows honestly.

Edited by Curtisp5286