GDT: Winnipeg Jets @ Buffalo Sabres. 10 February 2019 @ 3:00 PM EST

SABRES 0311

Just now, dudacek said:

Both goals against, pretty clearly on Dahlin.

First one definitely.  Second one was a team effort.  Dahlin needs to gain 15 pounds to compete with the men.  He will, but at 18, he could eat an extra  pizza a night and not gain an ounce.  He needs a good summer of training. Same with Tage.  Tage could gain 20 on his frame.

• Like (+1) 2

I understand the frustration but that was a desparate team and they clearly have more talent and experience than the Sabres.  

We we had at least five great rushes in the 3rd to score and take the lead.  Hellenbeck (sp?) made saves he didn’t know he made, he let giant rebounds out.   We just could not convert, despite getting the better of the play   

The Jets used there size and interfered all game.  They never missed a chance to blast someone.  Look at the Jets, the Caps, and even the Bolts.  You can tell we need more talent with size and grit.  

One bad shift, one breakdown,  they had chances to clear, it was not all Eichel  

I just don’t get you guys quitting before the game is over.  I don’t get all the negative comments.   Blaming Eichel for the last goal.  There was a lot of blame to go around.   They need to learn and move on.  

We are not at the Jets level, but we still have a shot at 8th.  

• Like (+1) 7

4 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Good game guys!

I thought both goalies played really well.

Nothing wrong with Dahlin that a couple of years worth of experience won't fix. If you're interested, maybe we can fabricate an off-season trade involving Trouba and Dahlin?

Dude Sobotka outplayed Laine tonight, but feeling gracious, I’ll still make the trade. 

19 minutes ago, Tondas said:

First one definitely.  Second one was a team effort.  Dahlin needs to gain 15 pounds to compete with the men.  He will, but at 18, he could eat an extra  pizza a night and not gain an ounce.  He needs a good summer of training. Same with Tage.  Tage could gain 20 on his frame.

There was a lengthy mess leading up to it, but Hunwick was fronting the puck carrier on that side of the ice and there was no need for Dahlin to come and join him.

His job was protecting the back post from exactly what happened. His read there was as bad as his pinch on the shortie.

This blaming Jack is misplaced. We will be good when Casey and Dahlin make the same sort of progress Jack and Sam have made. Takes time.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

This team can't match up against typical WC team, of which the Jets are one of the most WC teams there are.

I think that Jack must still be trying to play through his injury.

Actually we have played well against the West Conference.   Jets are in the top four tier, we are in middle, fighting for eighth with a bunch of other teams.  

The last goal isn't on Eichel at all; he was dog tired and had already blocked a shot which seemed to slow him as well. Okposo got picked and then Wheeler found a soft spot after running the Sabres in a circle. 

I'm angry we couldn't get one point out of their great effort; they truly went to the finish with a Stanley Cup Contender. 

We still have work to do, and the Sabres still are not out of the hunt by any means. Hutton played well and didn't have any freaky goals go in on him so hopefully that's over with.

Can someone please trick Sobotka and Scandella into thinking they won a cruise to the Bahamas and keep them there.

Did Laine play?

• Like (+1) 1

The Sabres played well enough to win.

They were worn down and a few mental lapses did them in.  These are the signs of a young team that is going through some growing pains.  They have come a long way, but are not there yet.

It is February 10th and the Sabres are still battling for a playoff spot and likely will be up until the end.  They, generally, are fun to watch again.  I was not asking for more then that this season.

In the last 5 seasons by February 10th we were so far out of the playoff hunt it was ...

Anyway, who's next.  Let's get 'em!!

GO SABRES!!

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Actually we have played well against the West Conference.   Jets are in the top four tier, we are in middle, fighting for eighth with a bunch of other teams.  

You are right, but what I meant was that the Jets wore us down.  We played well, but the Jets and other teams are really in playoff mode now.  We are still fighting, which is a heck of a lot better than the last 5+ years.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

The last goal isn't on Eichel at all; he was dog tired and had already blocked a shot which seemed to slow him as well. Okposo got picked and then Wheeler found a soft spot after running the Sabres in a circle. 

I'm angry we couldn't get one point out of their great effort; they truly went to the finish with a Stanley Cup Contender. 

We still have work to do, and the Sabres still are not out of the hunt by any means. Hutton played well and didn't have any freaky goals go in on him so hopefully that's over with.

Can someone please trick Sobotka and Scandella into thinking they won a cruise to the Bahamas and keep them there.

Did Laine play?

Right on.   Thank you.  

4 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

The Sabres played well enough to win.

They were worn down and a few mental lapses did them in.  These are the signs of a young team that is going through some growing pains.  They have come a long way, but are not there yet.

It is February 10th and the Sabres are still battling for a playoff spot and likely will be up until the end.  They, generally, are fun to watch again.  I was not asking for more then that this season.

In the last 5 seasons by February 10th we were so far out of the playoff hunt it was ...

Anyway, who's next.  Let's get 'em!!

GO SABRES!!

I am all in.  We missed a shot to tie Pitts for 8th, damm even one point would have helped.  

But im in every game, until the final buzzer.  

Feels great to be in the playoff race.   Every team we play knows we can beat them on any given night.  

• Like (+1) 6

9 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Did Laine play?

Yea, Dahlin was more at fault than Jack. And yea, Jack was dog tired. He still gave nothing... not a playoff race worthy effort .

Maurice's strategy for the offensive cycle is entirely predicated on their blatant pick plays going uncalled. I'm not blaming a Sabre for that goal, it was a clear pick on KO,  and was a missed penalty. They were getting away with interference all game.

And the guy who scored the winning goal shoulda been in the box for a BLATANT slew foot on Pominville. 

Sabres deserved this game.

Laine is also a terrible hockey player. A complete non-entity. 

30 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Both the Jets underlying metrics and points percentage is not only worse this year than last, but buoyed up by a terrible conference. It's all about the East this year.

36 minutes ago, dudacek said:

There was a lengthy mess leading up to it, but Hunwick was fronting the puck carrier on that side of the ice and there was no need for Dahlin to come and join him.

His job was protecting the back post from exactly what happened. His read there was as bad as his pinch on the shortie.

This blaming Jack is misplaced. We will be good when Casey and Dahlin make the same sort of progress Jack and Sam have made. Takes time.

Yup. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

Apparently, you didn't watch the game.

So say he didn't play well. The idea that he doesn't know how to play with teammates is objectively false, as Skinner is having a career year stapled to his hip, he can turn the corpse of Pominville into an occasionally useful player, and for years players of varying ability all perform better when skating with him. But yea, he can't play with others. 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.