GDT: Sabres at Vegas 10/16/18 10:00 PM MSG, WGR

Sabel79

Just now, SDS said:

So, this is a legitimate complaint? He’s doing what is best to win and he should be criticized? Good grief. 

Is he though?  Perhaps having his team better prepared to start games, be less inclined to make a mess out of zone exits, and for that matter, zone entries, then I’d believe he’s doing what’s best to win.  Dude’s incapable.  On any level, no leadership whatsoever.  

No question this team is offensively challenged. Without a good PP we will lose a lot of games and the PP really let us down tonight.

If Eichel wants to be a true NHL allstar he has to be able to pick it up at key moments and so far I don't see that happening. When this game is 2-0 and we have 2 anemic PP's in a row you just know it ain't gonna happen. Those are the moments where Crosbys and the like step it up and turn a game that should be lost into a win. We lack that big time.

Well, on the bright side we are .500 and probably that's about as good as we can expect. Signs of this being a real hockey team, but we have a LONG way to go.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

No question this team is offensively challenged. Without a good PP we will lose a lot of games and the PP really let us down tonight.

If Eichel wants to be a true NHL allstar he has to be able to pick it up at key moments and so far I don't see that happening. When this game is 2-0 and we have 2 anemic PP's in a row you just know it ain't gonna happen. Those are the moments where Crosbys and the like step it up and turn a game that should be lost into a win. We lack that big time.

Well, on the bright side we are .500 and probably that's about as good as we can expect. Signs of this being a real hockey team, but we have a LONG way to go.

The problem is they SHOULDN'T be. They have enough scoring talent to be far far better than they are. There is really no excuse other than Housley's system is failing miserably to let them flow offensively.

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

The problem is they SHOULDN'T be. They have enough scoring talent to be far far better than they are. There is really no excuse other than Housley's system is failing miserably to let them flow offensively.

Too easy. Blame the coach.

I think the talent is over valued as usual.

There may have been locker room problems and they had to go, but we removed Kane and O'Reilly's goals on a team that was already offensively poor last year and expected what? Skinner would save the day? When your second best offensive  center is a kid clearly not NHL ready (Mittlestadt) there isn't a coach in the world that can make that work.  

15 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

Is he though?  Perhaps having his team better prepared to start games, be less inclined to make a mess out of zone exits, and for that matter, zone entries, then I’d believe he’s doing what’s best to win.  Dude’s incapable.  On any level, no leadership whatsoever.  

What does that have to do with pulling the keeper with 4:xx on the clock and down by 3? Was that a mistake worthy of criticism?

14 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Good to know for the finals.

That team is for real, and yes that is good to know.

As far as I'm concerned, they played a respectable game, they didn't quit, and they found a way to score.

Good teams find a way to score goals, and the Sabres are a good team.

They might not have their act together yet but, what I saw tonight was very encouraging.

When this team gets on fire, watch out.

Let's Go Buffalo!

Edited by hockeyhound
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

There may have been locker room problems and they had to go, but we removed Kane and O'Reilly's goals on a team that was already offensively poor last year and expected what? Skinner would save the day? When your second best offensive  center is a kid clearly not NHL ready (Mittlestadt) there isn't a coach in the world that can make that work.  

Then who do you blame when we continue to turn high scoring players from other teams into 10 and 15 goal scorers here? 

Funny how players leave here and suddenly figure out how to score again.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

What does that have to do with pulling the keeper with 4:xx on the clock and down by 3? Was that a mistake worthy of criticism?

In a vacuum, no.  But let's not pretend we're in a vacuum here.  Laud the balls on the guy for pulling the goalie so his team can lose by an extra goal, but let's have a look at all the things he's quite evidently not dealing with (or if he's trying to, then woof twice as hard).

Thoughts:

Sue is the most obvious Yuri yet, OR, the most interesting new poster SS has ever had

I forget who has the inside info that a lot of the team was still blasted during the game in Vegas last year, but I'd bet this month's paycheck it happened again. Vegas flu.

In Sobotka's 3 games, that was the first legitimate scoring threat he's been involved in at ES (not really, as the goalie was pulled). By my count, Berglund is still stuck at 1. Luckily Phil has noticed their sluggish start offensively. 

Kyle deserved the point, and showed why he has the A. As you can probably tell, his presence bugs me less when we don't lean on him on our top ES line. Thanks for coming to skate today Kyle, next time bring your teammates

Hutton was good too. 

Casey had one of those rookie nights. I'm not sure he completed a pass, and he attempted about 40. I'd swap him and Tage for maybe Smith and Alex when we get back to Buffalo. Not sure this environment is as good as it was a week ago, to me it seems like the lack of success is getting in their heads.

When Dahlin has an off night, we have zero Flagg-defined good NHL defensemen, yikes. 

If they can get 3 points in the next 3 games, I'll be fine with the trip. They'll get there.

I don't back off a single offseason assessment I've put forward yet, concerning team-oriented ES play, cerebral hockey players with the hands and quick-twitch decision making needed for meaningful ES hockey, and the state/amount of those players in the Sabres organization, especially as it sits in relation with culture, and how careful we should be about just shifting scapegoats after "fixing" the latter (quotation marks because the whole concept is dubious to me) and not addressing the former in a significant manner. 

Today one of my students asked where I was from, and I said "Buffalo, NY." She said "I knew it! It's the accent." I don't know what a Buffalo/WNY accent is, but I swelled with pride. Boy do I miss home. 

14 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I've been a bit disappointed in Berglund -- I feel like his line never generates any offense, and his playmaking skills are closer to Larsson-level (i.e. zero) than I was expecting.

A worthwhile time to reiterate that, in 57 games last season, Berglund recorded one assist that involved directly passing the puck to a teammate and having one of the next two teammates who touched it score a goal. The rest of the low total were random bounces or deflections of his shot. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

Idc what y’all say. You can swap Tage, Mitts, Larry, whoever for CJ, Nylander, and Olafsson tomorrow, and HCPH won’t know what to do with it. 

The guy isn’t prepping for each game. He’s basically like a student who didn’t study for a test, and goes in circling “B” for each answer and hoping for the best. Then wondering why he keeps getting a 40% grade. 

3 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

@Randall Flagg I, and all of us love you.  Don’t leave again... 

❤️

Also I didn't "leave" haha I couldn't let myself log on the last two days because of too much stuff going on IRL. 

To be clear, of course I stepped back after the Saturday GDT just to take a breath, as we all do, but logging back in before tonight was going to mess with my ability to get stuff done Sunday-Tues. And I probably have to leave again shortly for the same reason

5 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Idc what y’all say. You can swap Tage, Mitts, Larry, whoever for CJ, Nylander, and Olafsson tomorrow, and HCPH won’t know what to do with it. 

The guy isn’t prepping for each game. He’s basically like a student who didn’t study for a test, and goes in circling “B” for each answer and hoping for the best. Then wondering why he keeps getting a 40% grade. 

I'm not sure I buy this sentiment. It's pretty vague. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

I thought Nathan Beaulieu was going to be a complete bust this year; however, that's not the case.

In one particular play tonight, Vegas came across the blueline looking to dominate the middle of the ice. Beaulieu wasn't having any of that, so he forced the play towards the boards. He broke the play up; however, Vegas was bringing the pressure. Once he gained possession he didn't panic but instead smartly made the play up the boards. Now I'm sure that probably doesn't seem like much but, last year, it was commonplace to see Beaulieu in similar circumstances under pressure making some ridiculous play into the middle of the ice, or panic and have the puck picked off and put in the back of our net. So far this year Beaulieu has been unnoticeable in a good way, and the times I have noticed him, its for the right reasons.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Was at the game tonight and thought that was one boring game. I’m not a fan of Housley’s system and a matter of fact I don’t even think he’s the right coach for this team. They need a coach like New Jersey’s or someone that going to let these guys play but get the most out of them and to be tough with them. It looks like they have a lot of speed on this team and it looks like it’s not getting used properly. I wouldn’t care if they lost if they played hard but it doesn’t look like it at all.  Then you throw in that ***** power play Buffalo has. No movement at all and it’s very predictable. 

Edited by SabresBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

This team has way too much offensive talent to have the same damn issues scoring goals as they did last year. It is unacceptable to be shut out twice in 6 games with as much top end scoring talent as we have.

Whatever system we run offensively doesn't work and needs to be changed.

Or maybe the coach needs to change. Not a fan of his system.

1 hour ago, hockeyhound said:

Vegas played a picture perfect home game. They deserve the win.

The loss of Schmidt and Tuch are huge right now for Vegas!

I pin this loss on Housley.

Should've went with the hot hand in Ullmark.   He probably makes that save on the shorthanded goal... Maybe even stops the first goal with his size.

Again, he didn't have them ready to play.  They looked slow and disinterested in the first period.

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

I pin this loss on Housley.

Should've went with the hot hand in Ullmark.   He probably makes that save on the shorthanded goal... Maybe even stops the first goal with his size.

Again, he didn't have them ready to play.  They looked slow and disinterested in the first period.

I thought the same. Why would you put Hutton in when Ullmark put up a shutout the game before. He shoulda played him again.

14 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Sabres need an honest coach that pushes them with some intensity and has better matchup instincts a la Quenville and that guy from Toronto

I would even throw in New Jersey’s coach.

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Agree with this to a point but for some reason I'm still questioning Housley as a coach for this team and I liked the hire at the time.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.