Worst Way To Start a Season?

GASabresIUFAN

8 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

The "be patient" and "relax" crowd needs to realize that this is not a single game we are talking about.

Last night was basically Game 83 from the 2017-2018 campaign.

That's a problem.

I thought it was much different hockey from last year. There were stretches last year that were unwatchable. I thought last night was watchable, they just lost.

So yes only one game.

Yes the Bruins lost bad the night before but they looked better doing it then the sabres. The Caps just got every bounce and were a step ahead of them all night but they were not as badly outplayed as the Sabres were yesterday.

I would feel much better about it if they had played like we were told they were going to play by  the coach. North south 4 lines as a unit. that means to me more body fore check then stick and the trying to be to fancy is replaced with solid smart play.

Get the puck deep stop trying to skate through 2 to 4 defenders. Take the shots when they are their with the assumption and hopeful execution others are going to the net for rebounds.

My real concern is we picked the wrong coach.  Its still early in the season but that is the fear of what I am seeing and hearing when I listen to Mr. Housley   

6 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I was thinking this morning that on a "terrible start" scale of 1-10, this was a solid 8. 

It didn't get to 10 because:

- no injuries

- they did look faster and had the better of the play and possession in the 1st period

- Dahlin looked good

Well, Sobotka is hurt, so there goes the first one.

The bolded is the main positive I took, though. I don't agree with the OP that all the kids did nothing, as I think Dahlin did indeed look pretty good. 

2 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

The highlighted text says it all.  Those here who are really concerned about last night likely believe the highlighted text to be true.

Those urging patience I guess don't see it that way.

The next 5 games, let's say, will tell us a lot more.  

Next five games? Well, I would put it at next nine. I just have this feeling they are going really lose badly in these home games and then go on the road trip and win a few. That would be just like them to do that. 

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

I thought it was much different hockey from last year. There were stretches last year that were unwatchable. I thought last night was watchable, they just lost.

I agree to a point, but not scoring a goal is a really bad sign, IMO. 

49 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Next five games? Well, I would put it at next nine. I just have this feeling they are going really lose badly in these home games and then go on the road trip and win a few. That would be just like them to do that. 

I agree to a point, but not scoring a goal is a really bad sign, IMO. 

That was the thing, for me. I know they are vastly superior to the Sabres, but for reference (they were they first team I checked) The Leafs had a total of 1 time the entirety of last season where they got shut out at home. It's not that common of a thing. 

For the Sabres to accomplish that in their very first game let the air out of the balloon a little bit. 

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, Thorny said:

That was the thing, for me. I know they are vastly superior to the Sabres, but for reference (they were they first team I checked) The Leafs had a total of 1 time the entirety of last season where they got shut out at home. It's not that common of a thing. 

For the Sabres to accomplish that in their very first game let the air out of the balloon a little bit. 

Just a random thought, but I'll bet you it doesn't happen again this season!

The low from losing yesterday wasn't quite as bad as losses from last year to me, because of one reason: Rasmus Dahlin. I truly believe in this kid's talent, and when Dahlin becomes our best player, we'll be a good hockey team. He's going to be a true difference maker. 

Botterill backed into a stroke of luck so helpful to team building that imagining the situation where we didn't capitalize on that 18.5% chance could give me nightmares. 

Edited by Thorny

Didn’t bother to read the responses. I’m sure there were plenty of optimists. 

“Oh it’s just the first game, oh there’s a lot of new players, oh Boston is better.”

They sucked. No identity, no unison, no soul. If you think that’s going to change in two days, or two weeks, idk what you’re smoking. Vegas had a team of all new players and almost won a Cup. 

It all just looked a little too much like the usual (last years) to make me feel good about the potential. Too early to judge for sure though.

Regarding Housley though, I have my doubts. Dude, it's a home game, why are you not working harder at keeping Bergeron away from Jack? Bergeron shuts down everybody and if you're going to load up a top line you don't want it on the ice with him. 

The guy I really wonder about though is Skinner. So far he looks like a guy who is just passing time and doesn't want to be here. Overrated? I don't know his history but did his linemates maybe make him look better than he is? At the moment, this is Okposo v2 and if he doesn't have a good year we wont' even get anything decent at the deadline. 

Again, too early, but it does raise question marks and doubts. 

On 10/6/2018 at 1:02 AM, PerreaultForever said:

It all just looked a little too much like the usual (last years) to make me feel good about the potential. Too early to judge for sure though.

Regarding Housley though, I have my doubts. Dude, it's a home game, why are you not working harder at keeping Bergeron away from Jack? Bergeron shuts down everybody and if you're going to load up a top line you don't want it on the ice with him. 

The guy I really wonder about though is Skinner. So far he looks like a guy who is just passing time and doesn't want to be here. Overrated? I don't know his history but did his linemates maybe make him look better than he is? At the moment, this is Okposo v2 and if he doesn't have a good year we wont' even get anything decent at the deadline. 

Again, too early, but it does raise question marks and doubts. 

When I read that Phil kept Jack out there against Bergeron for 1/2 his shifts I was pretty pissed.  Isn’t that why we acquired Berglund to play against guys like Bergeron?

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:54 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

When I read that Phil kept Jack out there against Bergeron for 1/2 his shifts I was pretty pissed.  Isn’t that why we acquired Berglund to play against guys like Bergeron?

I don't think Phil is the sharpest tool in the shed.

On 10/8/2018 at 9:54 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'd like to see how many of those shifts were off offensive or neutral zone face-offs. I'd like to think the #1 line with the $10M man can drive some play in the Boston end to negate their top line once in awhile.

43 minutes ago, Sakman said:

I'd like to see how many of those shifts were off offensive or neutral zone face-offs. I'd like to think the #1 line with the $10M man can drive some play in the Boston end to negate their top line once in awhile.

Nice in theory, but it is wiser at home to use the last change to maximize your matchup advantages when you have one.

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Nice in theory, but it is wiser at home to use the last change to maximize your matchup advantages when you have one.

You're assuming it's not to their advantage to do so. I have no idea whether that is the case or not. As you said, it's all a theory without data backing it up. 

The question is do the Sabres actually have a "shutdown line" that can effectively match up with a high powered line like the B's have. If not, maybe being aggressive by putting them on the defensive is a viable option. 

Again, I agree it's all theory. I was just initially reacting to the data about Eichel's line being out there for 1/2 the shifts. 

Edited by Sakman
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.