Sabres @ Blue Jackets 1st Preseason game 7pm tonight!

North Buffalo

34 minutes ago, EichSnipe said:

I was at this one.. from my view, Nylander was the best player on the ice tonight. He and Berglund had some chemistry. Something to watch over the next few games. Maybe he could end up on the wing of a Swedish vet. 

Hell, that line from tonight could be our third line. Thompson tried to dangle a few times when he shouldn’t have. But he looked good with them too. 

Nylander turning things around and becoming a good NHL player would be so awesome. 

4 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Nylander turning things around and becoming a good NHL player would be so awesome. 

It would be awesome, but I don't really think he's turning anything around. He's progressing as an NHL prospect should. He is only 20 FFS.

13 minutes ago, SwampD said:

It would be awesome, but I don't really think he's turning anything around. He's progressing as an NHL prospect should. He is only 20 FFS.

Not being in the NHL by 20 is normal. A top-10 pick looking like hot smoldering uselessness for two years before showing even a glimmer of life, however, is not progressing as an NHL prospect should. And I say this as one of the biggest Nylander boosters on the board. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Not being in the NHL by 20 is normal. A top-10 pick looking like hot smoldering uselessness for two years before showing even a glimmer of life, however, is not progressing as an NHL prospect should. And I say this as one of the biggest Nylander boosters on the board. 

Yeah, it's not the lack of production, it's the whole being benched in his most recent real games because he didn't try/care enough on the ice that's the thing he'd be turning around from

4 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

Yeah, it's not the lack of production, it's the whole being benched in his most recent real games because he didn't try/care enough on the ice that's the thing he'd be turning around from

I'm really glad that none of you were my dad. ?

9 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Way-too-early hot takes after preseason game 1: 
Tonight is the night I flip the switch to almost never including Thompson in projected lineups to always having him in there. The fun thing will be figuring out exactly where he goes - I have no idea. But he's making the team.
Nylander will play games, I'm not sure if it'll be right away though. 
Guhle is not currently one of the top six D in the organization and needs to go play more in Rochester, which is completely fine. 
Olofsson will be spending a significant amount of time in Rochester, which is completely fine. 
Ogelvie will be an awesome Amerk for a long time. 
Tennyson, as bad as we remember.

I watched a good protion of the game since i live close to Columbus and was able to stream it.  

I wouldn't say your takes are hot or too early.  I was most impressed with Nylander, he was going into corners and fighting for the puck, he created a goal that way.  He played with confidence last night.  I totally agree with you, have him start in Roc and be one of the first few call ups as needed, but overall, a dominating season in Roc will go a long way for him.  You're also right about Thompson, he will probably be a Sabre opening night, fighting Okposo and Reinhart for top 6 minutes.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marions Piazza said:

I watched a good protion of the game since i live close to Columbus and was able to stream it.  

I wouldn't say your takes are hot or too early.  I was most impressed with Nylander, he was going into corners and fighting for the puck, he created a goal that way.  He played with confidence last night.  I totally agree with you, have him start in Roc and be one of the first few call ups as needed, but overall, a dominating season in Roc will go a long way for him.  You're also right about Thompson, he will probably be a Sabre opening night, fighting Okposo and Reinhart for top 6 minutes.

Agreed on most except Nylander... If he continues to forecheck, backcheck and go into the corners like he did last night hes gonna start in Buffalo on Beglunds line... that line with Thompson was the best line on ice all night long. Erod was good and Larry tried to do to much.. even this amateur team has speed wow!

Edited by North Buffalo

23 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Agreed on most except Nylander... If he continues to forecheck, backcheck and go into the corners like he did last night hes gonna start in Buffalo on Beglunds line... that line with Thompson was the best line on ice all night long. Erod was good and Larry tried to do to much.. even this amateur team has speed wow!

Fair point, but, I still think Nylander should start in Roc.  He's just now getting his confidence, but he still hasn't faced solid NHL defenseman or good backchecking forwards.  If we toss Nylander in too early, it could possibly hurt his budding confidence.  On the other side of it, if he continues to play well all TC and preseason, and he still gets sent to Roc, will that hurt his confidence thinking he's still not good enough?

8 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Maybe he finally has started taking things seriously and working hard to get better.

Gotta think with young players that are high draft picks many times they can be lazy because their talent has carried them all their life and they never had to work hard because they were so much better than everyone else.  That doesnt work anymore once you hit a certain level and it can be a shock to them at first.

Looks like he is starting to figure out what is needed to be a productive player at the next level and a lot of that comes with maturity i think...Nylander turning into a productive player would be another great piece to add to the team's young core.

46 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Dont need Nylander playing 8 minutes a night here. Need him playing 20 minutes+ a night in Rochester to continue to develop.

You guys discussing Nylander have to remember Cal O'Reilly stunted his growth by what amounts to off-the-ice maltreatment.  From what I've read about what happened there, it is absolutely no surprise it's taken him time to get his head straight.

9 minutes ago, ... said:

You guys discussing Nylander have to remember Cal O'Reilly stunted his growth by what amounts to off-the-ice maltreatment.  From what I've read about what happened there, it is absolutely no surprise it's taken him time to get his head straight.

I know something happened, but never known really what really did happen.   If you can shed some light on it.

11 minutes ago, ... said:

I remember hearing that it was a bad billet match -- but not that it was downright bad. What's the story there?

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

I know something happened, but never known really what really did happen.   If you can shed some light on it.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

I remember hearing that it was a bad billet match -- but not that it was downright bad. What's the story there?

from memory, i remember reading that CoR was mad he was in Roc in the 1st place, hazed Nylander, made him do stuff like cleanup the bus, locker room etc, while not providing any mentorship whatsoever.  If the hazing was funny and light hearted while being a mentor, then no big deal, but some of the stuff i read was that he was just a d!ck.

Edited by Marions Piazza
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Marions Piazza said:

from memory, i remember reading that CoR was mad he was in Roc in the 1st place, hazed Nylander, made him do stuff like cleanup the bus, locker room etc, while not providing any mentorship whatsoever.  If the hazing was funny and light hearted while being a mentor, then no big deal, but some of the stuff i read was that he was just a d!ck.

yeah - yuck.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.