Prospect Challenge

GASabresIUFAN

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

If I am reading that lineup correctly, Eric Cornel is the fifth highest drafted prospect. And he is on the fifth line, four years after his draft year.

The 2nd round in 2014 really sucked.

6th highest, unless you were just counting forwards, or not counting Tage since the Sabres themselves didn't draft him:

Dahlin 1

Mittelstadt 8

Nylander 8

Thompson 26

Asplund  33

Cornel 44

---

So, 4 first-round picks on the roster. Wonder how that compares to the other teams..

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Dahlin and Borgen is an interesting combo, some skating and snarl. The proverbial tough to play against.

Asplund and Ogilvie are smart enough and fast enough and hard enough that Nylander has no excuses. That first line can snipe.

That D grouping has to be the best since Risto and Nikita were prospects. Surprised Pilut is on pair four, but it’s that damn left-handed backlog.

And with a playmaker like Mittelstadt in the middle, that should be a very good line. 

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:
H9lOUNsr_bigger.jpgBuffalo SabresVerified account @BuffaloSabres
FollowingFollowing @BuffaloSabres
More

#ProspectsChallenge practice lines:

Olofsson - Mittelstadt - Thompson

Nylander - Asplund - Oglevie

Eiserman - Glotov - Peterson

Pekar - Hancock - Coskey

Aquin - Powell - Cornel

Dahlin - Borgen

Guhle - Atwal

Hickey - Laaksonen

Pilut - Welsh

Stephens - Bisson

Luukkonen

Johansson

Like the top line as that could legitimately be the Sabres 2nd line in '20-'21.

Looks like they're serious about having Dahlin play on his strong side if they have him there even in this tournament.  Disappointed in that as I wouldn't be surprised to see him eventually on the right side w/ Ristolainen anchoring the 2nd pairing.  Not to mention that would bump Pilut to the top 6 this weekend.  Really interested in seeing how quickly/well he adapts.

Really hoping we see Davidsson in this next year.

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

If I am reading that lineup correctly, Eric Cornel is the fifth highest drafted prospect. And he is on the fifth line, four years after his draft year.

The 2nd round in 2014 really sucked.

Cornel factoid.

He was the 3rd overall pick in the 2012 OHL priority draft. 

The first pick was some guy named Conner McDavid. 

Roland McKeown was 2nd (He was drafted 50th overall in the NHL draft and made his Car debut last season).

Jared McCann went 4th (He went 14th overall in the NHL Draft and has already played 166 NHL games)

Josh Ho-Sang went 5th, Robbie Fabbri 6th, Michael Dal Colle 7th and Sam Bennett 9th

I would like to go on record that it's a mistake to play Dahlin in the prospect tournament. 

He should be skating with his teammates, not scrubs... why risk injury?   He's already made the team, give him a few pre-season tilts and then save him for the regular season.

He's 18, he's never played a full NHL season, the fewer meaningless games he plays right now the better he will be later in the season.

58 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I would like to go on record that it's a mistake to play Dahlin in the prospect tournament. 

He should be skating with his teammates, not scrubs... why risk injury?   He's already made the team, give him a few pre-season tilts and then save him for the regular season.

He's 18, he's never played a full NHL season, the fewer meaningless games he plays right now the better he will be later in the season.

It will help him get acclimated to the smaller rink.  Plus it will give him an early exposure to our system and let him test himself against good players, but players who aren't quite NHLers.

6 hours ago, pi2000 said:

So just because Olofsson has an above average shot means he's going fill the void left by ROR?   

That's probably the worst take I've ever read on here.

Says the guy who thinks Auston Matthews is going to be a bust... 

Also, for the record, not what I was saying (Nor was I busting Flagg’s balls). Not in any way expecting Olofsson to contribute this year at all.  Just doubting the actual size of the void left by ROR. 

15 hours ago, dudacek said:

Dahlin and Borgen is an interesting combo, some skating and snarl. The proverbial tough to play against.

Asplund and Ogilvie are smart enough and fast enough and hard enough that Nylander has no excuses. That first line can snipe.

That D grouping has to be the best since Risto and Nikita were prospects. Surprised Pilut is on pair four, but it’s that damn left-handed backlog.

I bitched about the D depth for all of TM's tenure.  Now the SHL D of the Year is on the 4th line of our prospects.  Wow, what a change.  I'm interested to see Hickey and Laaksonen as well

7 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Injuries happen... 

You almost said it best... "he's never played a full NHL season" only the truth is he's never played ANY NHL game.  He needs to play them to adjust.  He's a hockey player and hockey players play hockey.  Injuries happen and you can't live your life sheltered in the corner playing "what if".

I mean, Eichel's first ankle sprain happened at practice.  Perhaps he shouldn't have had to practice just in case?

35 minutes ago, LTS said:

Injuries happen... 

You almost said it best... "he's never played a full NHL season" only the truth is he's never played ANY NHL game.  He needs to play them to adjust.  He's a hockey player and hockey players play hockey.  Injuries happen and you can't live your life sheltered in the corner playing "what if".

I mean, Eichel's first ankle sprain happened at practice.  Perhaps he shouldn't have had to practice just in case?

Insert Alan Iverson youtube clip here....

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I just saw that it's an NHL thing. 

Is there somebody I can complain to?

Or give a cockamamie reason why? That's insane. Or someone on either side maybe got it wrong. There is no competing network or contract. No one making illegitimate money off it. It can only help the teams and league. Something is very strange here. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.