Trade: Ryan O'Reilly to St Louis Blues

CallawaySabres

You're our resident wet blanket. I really don't think you should be the one to tell people to stop voicing their negativity.

Yeah, you don’t like me, I get it. But anyway, I come here to read about this trade and instead I get the same three or four posters rapid fire bitching. This place used to be be a great source of information no but unfortunately it has become a steaming pile. Be proud.

To put another way... ROR was so valuable and the return so bad, that not a single one of the other 29 teams were willing to beat that awful return despite the fact that every team knew ROR was available.

Stop making sense.

Yeah, you don’t like me, I get it. But anyway, I come here to read about this trade and instead I get the same three or four posters rapid fire bitching. This place used to be be a great source of information no but unfortunately it has become a steaming pile. Be proud.

Of course, there have been perfectly reasoned posts as to why this is a bad thing, and level-headed explanations as to why it's disappointing (see: the competitiveness timetable), but you choose to ignore those things. Shocking, that. 

There are posters here (myself included) that put hours into posts for this place. Days even. You come and go often enough to miss tons of it, and then say stuff like this because a couple of us had a ###### day? 

Edited by Randall Flagg

Pronman had Three Blues Prospects in his Top 50 Mid Season Rankings. All three remain with St Louis.

That’s my biggest concern is you couldn’t land either Kyrou, Dunn or even Kostin in this deal.

Right. We got a lot of pieces, which is why a bunch of pundits are thinking it was "a haul." But none of those pieces is actually good. 

There are posters here (myself included) that put hours into posts for this place. Days even. You come and go often enough to miss tons of it, and then say stuff like this because a couple of us had a ###### day?

While recognizing that this is true, throwing toys out of strollers rarely elicits a positive response.

To put another way... ROR was so valuable and the return so bad, that not a single one of the other 29 teams were willing to beat that awful return despite the fact that every team knew ROR was available.

That's an interesting way of looking at it

I guess?

I dunno. I'm just trying to stay positive with the whole "we saved money" thing.

If it got us Thomas or even Kyrou, though? Yup. Count me in.

Agreed.  I think you had it backwards:  The trade would have worked out better for us if we had paid the $7.5 for St. Louis.  But it is what it is.

PS, I like the new profile pic.

I have one simple question. Our first game next season is October 4th against Boston. Are we more or less likely to win that game because of this trade?

That's all I care about, and all our management should care about at this point. The time for making move based on the future is over.

Everyone posting we got nothing has no idea how good a 20 year old kid can become considering he has only played one season of pro hockey. I’m impressed that he earned 41 NHL games in his 1st pro year.

The truth is ROR ran himself out of two franchises because he is a fricking prima donna. See yeah. Like Colorado we are going to better without you.

Everyone posting we got nothing has no idea how good a 20 year old kid can become considering he has only played one season of pro hockey. I’m impressed that he earned 41 NHL games in his 1st pro year.

The truth is ROR ran himself out of two franchises because he is a fricking prima donna. See yeah. Like Colorado we are going to better without you.

Colorado had the worst non-expansion team in NHL history without him first, before fixing things :P 

I have one simple question. Our first game next season is October 4th against Boston. Are we more or less likely to win that game because of this trade?

That's all I care about, and all our management should care about at this point. The time for making move based on the future is over.

I wish man. Unless he flips those 2 1sts and Nylander before October, I just don't see it though

Of course, there have been perfectly reasoned posts as to why this is a bad thing, and level-headed explanations as to why it's disappointing (see: the competitiveness timetable), but you choose to ignore those things. Shocking, that.

Picture learning this news a few hours after it happened. There’s a whole lot of crap to wade through when you’re in catch up mode. It quickly outweighs the well reasoned stuff. Some people just want to bitch and that becomes obvious fast.

But anyway, I’m curious to see where they go from here. We have a ton of new bodies all of a sudden and I can’t help but think there’s more to come via trade. I’m definitely curious to see how the use of this glut of draft picks will compare to Murray’s approach.

It took Colorado 4 season to be "better" without him, and they still haven't reached the point total they had in his final season there. 

"If Taylor Hall was so good and Adam Larsson so bad, why did Taylor Hall only yield Adam Larsson? Maybe Hall just isn't as good as you think."

Still interesting?

I don't think "But the Oilers..." is a compelling argument.  As SDS said, everyone in the league knew ROR was on his way out and apparently no one was willing to part with their top prospects for him.  It's worth thinking about.

"If Taylor Hall was so good and Adam Larsson so bad, why did Taylor Hall only yield Adam Larsson? Maybe Hall just isn't as good as you think."

Still interesting?

Well that's easy to explain

Chiarelli

I've always had this vision in my head of that trade:

Picture learning this news a few hours after it happened. There’s a whole lot of crap to wade through when you’re in catch up mode. It quickly outweighs the well reasoned stuff. Some people just want to bitch and that becomes obvious fast.

But anyway, I’m curious to see where they go from here. We have a ton of new bodies all of a sudden and I can’t help but think there’s more to come via trade. I’m definitely curious to see how the use of this glut of draft picks will compare to Murray’s approach.

But at the same time, you can't reasonably begrudge people reacting emotionally in the moment. It might make things a pain to read through, but it's sort of like complaining that people are emotional in a GDT. 

As to how the picks are used, I predict he...uses them. Which as Taro said, would have been totally fine...3 years ago. It isn't fine now.

Give me Compher and Zadorov, please.

It's this kind of weak logic that made people think Hall for Larsson was a good move. Trade value simply isn't always (or even usually) equivalent to on-ice value. That O'Reilly's on-ice value was considerably higher than his trade value is a big part of the reason people like me didn't want to trade him.

Weak logic? It’s a open market where ROR went to the HIGHEST bidder. STL didn’t give us a top prospect because STL didn’t value ROR enough to give us a top prospect. NO ONE DID.

The market spoke today. I’m sorry it didn’t tell you what you wanted to hear.

We really don't know anything though. All we know is Tage Thompson is not great, we did not get the prospects we or anyone thought we should have gotten, and it's obvious at this point Botterill really wanted RoR gone more than anything

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.