Trade: Ryan O'Reilly to St Louis Blues

CallawaySabres

I’m pretty sure Botterill sees the two vets as more than cap dumps.

I haven’t watched them much recently, so they may be as done as Pominville, but they used to be pretty good.

Ive been reading Blues fan forums a few times throughout the last year, and you could take their posts, put them here, swap Berglund & Sobotkla for Okposo and Pominville,a nd they'd be the same things. 

It was a shock to me at the time because I explicitly went over there to see if we could pry Sobotka away, sometime in March, maybe, and came away with the idea that they'd give us picks to take him.

Well, yea. I'm with you there :lol:

As you said, they're upgrades on Larsson and Pouliot. But that probably shouldn't be the bar at which a ROR trade is measured :lol:

Currently, on their best days, they're 3rd line players. On their worst? Hello 4th baby! 

Trading away your top assett should be for upgrades to your 3rd or 4th lines. Thast what should be found in FA or through your minor league system...

To cancel NHL.tv or not...hmmmm…

I'm not ordering NHL CenterIce this season. I stopped watching halfway through last season. I figure this season will be more of the same.

If a miracle happens and we don't suck, I can always order at the midway mark of the season for a discounted rate.

I just love how we've handled Jack so far. 

Here's Sheary/Girgensons and Okposo. Your other centers the other team needs to defend are Berglund, Mittelstadt, and Larsson. We're going to win 28 games this year. Have fun breh 

Seriously, by the time we're a playoff team, we'll have flushed the first 6 years of Jack's career down the toilet. 

To cancel NHL.tv or not...hmmmm...

Well, if you cancel it and decide to watch the Sabres on bad internet streams, the pixelation should distort the terribleness a bit.

Y’all are acting as if Jbot is done and this roster we see on capfriendly is the opening night roster.

However, jbot has built up some ammo in 3 first rd picks for next season plus a large contingent of near ready prospects in Olofsson, Borgen, Oglevie, Hickey, Smith, Guhle and Pilut.

It’s a long time before pre-season.

I don't think the issue is that people were in love with O'Reilly. It's that we thought we'd get something more than the Blues' 9th, 10th, and 19th scorers from last season in return. Names like Parayko were being thrown around pre-trade.

...maybe Tage Thompson will blossom with a new team.

To put another way... ROR was so valuable and the return so bad, that not a single one of the other 29 teams were willing to beat that awful return despite the fact that every team knew ROR was available.

To put another way... ROR was so valuable and the return so bad, that not a single one of the other 29 teams were willing to beat that awful return despite the fact that every team knew ROR was available.

Quiet you....we're trying to be enraged here.

I remember how excited I was to get O’Reilly.

Trades rarely work like you imagine.

Would you rather have Thompson, a first and a second, or Compher, Zadorov and a second back?

Give me Compher and Zadorov, please. 

It's this kind of weak logic that made people think Hall for Larsson was a good move. Trade value simply isn't always (or even usually) equivalent to on-ice value. That O'Reilly's on-ice value was considerably higher than his trade value is a big part of the reason people like me didn't want to trade him.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Blies ownership gave a directive to get better whatever the cost.

We are perpetually rebuilding.

What good is a multi billionaire owner if the directive to win is never given.

It seemed that the directive to win was given for the '15-'16 season but the talent wasn't there yet & the wrong coach was brought it.

And, so now we've got a GM that wants to build slowly following one that tried to accelerate the rebuild. Just our luck; we get the GM's that AREN'T tearing down to the studs in place in the wrong order. So, though this is year 7 of a rebuild for us, it's only Botterill's 2nd. If we were in this exact spot 5 years ago, we'd be alright w/ it. But it's year 7 and this IS unacceptable.

And, directly to the O'Reilly trade. If O'Reilly ISN'T a dressing room problem, REALLY unhappy that they traded him now for what they got. Having O'Reilly let Mittelstadt get sheltered minutes would've been more valuable to this team long term than having a late 1st in '19 vs a late 1st in '20 which would've realistically been the onky difference in what they'd've received by waiting 1 more season to pull the trigger.

It's the friggin' Hasek trade all over again. :censored:

Ive been reading Blues fan forums a few times throughout the last year, and you could take their posts, put them here, swap Berglund & Sobotkla for Okposo and Pominville,a nd they'd be the same things.

It was a shock to me at the time because I explicitly went over there to see if we could pry Sobotka away, sometime in March, maybe, and came away with the idea that they'd give us picks to take him.

The Blues were a 94 pt team.

I remember how excited I was to get O’Reilly.

Trades rarely work like you imagine.

Would you rather have Thompson, a first and a second, or Compher, Zadorov and a second back?

Compher and Zadarov. They also parleyed the 2nd in 3 picks I believe. I know JT and Z can play in the NHL.

I probably did, but it didn’t have to be rushed and for amcrap return. Pegula could afford the 7.5 to do it right and get something valuable in return. Look at how much unproductive cap,we are carrying for the next 4 years. Banner day at the Bender household.

:lol:

Hey, hey, smoke up Johnny. :lol:

To cancel NHL.tv or not...hmmmm...

I'll watch every game as I do every year.  Jack, Casey, Dahlin and the occasional Ullmark will make it interesting even if the winning is not there yet. 

The Blues were a 94 pt team.

And? I'm genuinely not sure the point you're making here.

Pominville scored 34 points on a 106-point Minnesota team. They still couldn't wait to get rid of him. He came here and continued to suck. Sometimes bad players play roles on good teams while actually being bad.

And? I'm genuinely not sure the point you're making here.

Pominville scored 34 points on a 106-point Minnesota team. They still couldn't wait to get rid of him. He came here and continued to suck. Sometimes bad players play roles on good teams while actually being bad.

*Brad Richards in Chicago during their third cup, insert fart noise*

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.