Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

Just now, WildCard said:

Well he scored 25 pts in 50 games last year so yeah I'd say he made an impact

He also scored 51 pts in 66gp last year, and 7pts in 15 gp this year in the AHL.

I'm aware of his stats, both in the AHL and NHL. Neither impress me in the slightest and they definitely don't put a 24-year-old in front of Thompson as a prospect.

• Like (+1) 1

Looking closer, I'm not even going to lie, from a pure asset-management standpoint  a la NHL 18 I'd probably trade Tage for Oesterle and Hinostroza. I've seen a lot more of the last two, so in reality I'd watch Tage first. 

But if we had never made the ROR trade and somebody posted in this thread that the Blues trade Tage Thompson for Hinostroza and Oesterle, I guarantee that people would look through the stats and conclude the trade at least fair (and totally uninteresting) 

But Tage is a Sayber now! Go team

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Same. Point still stands.

How? Hinostroza did that in just over half a season on a non-playoff team, so if you concur about O'Regan, well, Hinostroza has already destroyed the supposed conclusion for O'Regan as a valuable comparison piece. At least you'd have to move onto a guy like Brian Flynn or somebody that has a few seasons of NHL games under their belt to illustrate your indifference toward the player, no? 

Talk about semantics, I know haha. 

Anywho, the Yotes definitely have the most bizarre composition of any roster in the NHL IMO

Edited by Randall Flagg

10 minutes ago, WildCard said:

So then he's not Danny O'Regan 

He is. Read what I said. He's Danny O'Regan but got a shot at an NHL roster because of lack of organizational depth in Chicago. San Jose has a ton of depth.

I don't think O'Regan will ever get a meaningful shot at the NHL.

27 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Looking closer, I'm not even going to lie, from a pure asset-management standpoint  a la NHL 18 I'd probably trade Tage for Oesterle and Hinostroza. I've seen a lot more of the last two, so in reality I'd watch Tage first. 

But if we had never made the ROR trade and somebody posted in this thread that the Blues trade Tage Thompson for Hinostroza and Oesterle, I guarantee that people would look through the stats and conclude the trade at least fair (and totally uninteresting) 

But Tage is a Sayber now! Go team

"Missster Thompson, our..new...celebrity"

FTFY. Honestly, you are the Severus Snape of SS nowadays. It's awesome.

Edited by Thorny

53 minutes ago, Hoss said:

He is. Read what I said. He's Danny O'Regan but got a shot at an NHL roster because of lack of organizational depth in Chicago. San Jose has a ton of depth.

I don't think O'Regan will ever get a meaningful shot at the NHL.

But O'Regan isn't in San Jose anymore. If he still doesn't get a meaningful shot at the NHL, I'm perfectly willing to conclude he's a worse prospect than Hinostroza.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

But O'Regan isn't in San Jose anymore. If he still doesn't get a meaningful shot at the NHL, I'm perfectly willing to conclude he's a worse prospect than Hinostroza.

Someone mentioned Flynn above and I feel like that may be a better comparison. But I do think they're on similar levels of skill and O'Regan just hasn't gotten the opportunity Hinostroza has.

And I don't think either has a significant NHL future in front of them.

I think Thompson has a better chance at carving out a long-term place in the league because he seems to have the potential to exist within a niche role. He has that one stand out skill that can sometimes allow guys to find their spot on a team. In Thompson's case, from all accounts he has a brilliant shot - exactly what the doctor ordered for the Sabres. 

Some guys make a career out of one main skill. Obviously can't make a direct comparison between the two, but Patrik Laine literally can't skate, or do much of anything at a level above average, but when he's stands around and waits for a perfect feed, he can cash that feed better than, perhaps, anyone else in the league right now. He'll probably win multiple Rocket Richard trophies based solely on having a great shot. 

Edited by Thorny

Found this pretty interesting:

I read an article awhile back that claimed Ken Holland was a fantastic GM before the cap, and he's been a garbage one since. Well, before the cap in 2003-2004, the Red Wings salary cap was $78M. For reference, the cap this year will be $79M. Even worse? Adjusting for inflation, the Red Wings cap today would be $106M

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/8yfsox/nhl_salary_cap_has_finally_caught_up_to_red_wings/

10 minutes ago, Hoss said:

The Golden Knights just signed Fleury to a 3 year extension worth $21 mill. That’s... a lot.

Apparently the goalie market is really ratcheting up. Then again, it is George McPhee 

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

So much for McPhee being a genius.

Quite the contrary.  He is 33 and face of the franchise.  Have you been to Vegas during the season?  The city loves him.  His jersey was #4 in sales for 2017/18.    The organization recognized about $25-30M in incremental revenue based on 11 Playoff home games that was 100% unplanned.   As far as on the ice,  during the playoffs he had the best save percentage and second to only Holtby in GAA.  Maybe his decline is sharp, but worth risk to lock him in until retirement.   

image.thumb.png.7a2c177f8b252faf3be1d547914276cc.png

I mean you can extend him, you just don't have to shell out $7M for it

McPhee: Marc, let's talk extension

Fleury: Sure, I was thinking somewhere around fi....

McPhee: Seven! Same here! Wow, it's crazy how much we're alike, right? Wanna grab a drink later

Fleury ...sure?

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Quite the contrary.  He is 33 and face of the franchise.  Have you been to Vegas during the season?  The city loves him.  His jersey was #4 in sales for 2017/18.    The organization recognized about $25-30M in incremental revenue based on 11 Playoff home games that was 100% unplanned.   As far as on the ice,  during the playoffs he had the best save percentage and second to only Holtby in GAA.  Maybe his decline is sharp, but worth risk to lock him in until retirement.   

image.thumb.png.7a2c177f8b252faf3be1d547914276cc.png

I get all of that, I guess. And maybe it is actually a good business move. But, in terms of the hockey? The deal is nothing short of bizarre.

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I mean you can extend him, you just don't have to shell out $7M for it

McPhee: Marc, let's talk extension

Fleury: Sure, I was thinking somewhere around fi....

McPhee: Seven! Same here! Wow, it's crazy how much we're alike, right? Wanna grab a drink later

Fleury ...sure?

Thingisif he's 37 when the contract is due to end then he'll be 34 when it starts & an early retirement as the face of the franchise doesn't hit into the cap.  Giving a 1 or 2 year deal forces the team onto the hook later to get that extra year put on.

Probably just looking to "do him a solid" for having waived his NMC last off-season.

Don't see this as big an oops as others are seeing.  Ymmv.

• Like (+1) 1