Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

18 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Yzermann convinces Stamkos, Kuch, and Hedman to take less than market value and then he leaves. Gotta wonder how they feel about that 

Most of those deals were negotiated by Brisebrois.  He has been the main driver in their scouting and player dev.  They have been holding a spot for him for a while.  Denied Blo and others the opportunity to interview him.  This will have no impact on Tampa at all.

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

So, the expectation is that you score on that play 11% more often than you give up a scoring chance.  Looks like there is a reason teams take the point shot.

I guess I’d want to see it compared to other areas but this doesn’t feel like good enough “risk” to have it as a focal point of an offense. At least not for anyone without studs on the blue line. Mmmm Rasmus Dahlin.

If there's a team whose main offensive zone goal (separate from ability) is not to create slot space and get the puck there, that team should fold 

And of course, there are plenty of times where the only option is to pass to the point, and the only option from there is to shoot, or even just wring the puck around, and of course that's what should be done in those instances - but teams should never, all things equal, prefer the point man versus the guy in the slot

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I guess I’d want to see it compared to other areas but this doesn’t feel like good enough “risk” to have it as a focal point of an offense. At least not for anyone without studs on the blue line. Mmmm Rasmus Dahlin.

Depends on the goalie and the system.  With Ruff's system and any of Miller, Biron, and/or (of course) Hasek, I'd take it in a hot second.  And I think the percentages would go up.

10 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

If there's a team whose main offensive zone goal (separate from ability) is not to create slot space and get the puck there, that team should fold 

And of course, there are plenty of times where the only option is to pass to the point, and the only option from there is to shoot, or even just wring the puck around, and of course that's what should be done in those instances - but teams should never, all things equal, prefer the point man versus the guy in the slot

Exactly. Well said. 

11 hours ago, Eleven said:

Depends on the goalie and the system.  With Ruff's system and any of Miller, Biron, and/or (of course) Hasek, I'd take it in a hot second.  And I think the percentages would go up.

Now just imagine if it's Zhitnik at the point.  Once his shot takes off the face of a teammate, it's even more likely to face an odd man rush.

• Haha (+1) 2

@BrettCyrgalis
Wonder how much #Isles brass is over John Tavares? How about this from Lamoriello today: “There’s no aftermath. Players come and go. It’s different if they had won championships. It’s different if they had had a lot of success. They haven’t done much.