pick for Karlsson

brador

Let me ask a similar question: "Who WOULD YOU trade the 1st overall pick in this year's draft for ?"

1. McDavid

Mcdavid. That's it

Let's roll the dice on some magic beans.

Dahlin is not magic beans. Just straight up magic.

Most GMs in the league aren't in our position though

Yeah, I'm trying to differentiate between like NHL 18 player value and what we would actually feasibly do. It's hard to completely separate the two in my mind. But I'd guess that there are definitely more players that have the raw value of Dahlin, but wouldn't make any sense at all for us to move him for

Let me ask a similar question: "Who WOULD YOU trade the 1st overall pick in this year's draft for ?"

1. McDavid

2. Matthews ?

Great question: who I would trade if I was the Sabres isn’t the same as if I was another team.

McDavid is the only clear yes for me. After that there are clearly a handful of players worth the deal, they just don’t necessarily fit age, or position or contract wise.

The Sabres best assets are 19-24 and the player they acquire needs to fit that core.

What they lack most is a high end defenceman.

Karlsson, Hedman and Doughty are the best defencemen in the league.

The first two are 27 and Doughty 28, which is about as old a player that I would consider trading for in this kind of deal.

Given the fact that Doughty and Karlsson are looming UFAs, I think you have to count them out.

Hedman though is on a good contract, so I would think hard about that.

Seth Jones is another one; he’s like Hedman four years ago, but off the top of my head he’s the only younger D who can approach Dahlin’s ceiling.

McKinnon and Matthews are young enough and talented enough that you’d have to look at that, then trading, them or Eichel or O’Reilly for a package that fills our biggest holes.

Basically the issue is it’s hard to give up Dahlin’s upside in any deal because he fits our team need so perfectly and the only players you’d consider one for one are players who will not be dealt.

Edited by dudacek

Great question: who I would trade if I was the Sabres isn’t the same as if I was another team.

McDavid is the only clear yes for me. After that there are clearly a handful of players worth the deal, they just don’t necessarily fit age, or position or contract wise.

The Sabres best assets are 19-24 and the player they acquire needs to fit that core.

What they lack most is a high end defenceman.

Karlsson, Hedman and Doughty are the best defencemen in the league.

The first two are 27 and Doughty 28, which is about as old a player that I would consider trading for in this kind of deal.

Given the fact that Doughty and Karlsson are looming UFAs, I think you have to count them out.

Hedman though is on a good contract, so I would think hard about that.

Seth Jones is another one; he’s like Hedman four years ago, but off the top of my head he’s the only younger D who can approach Dahlin’s ceiling.

McKinnon and Matthews are young enough and talented enough that you’d have to look at that, then trading, them or Eichel or O’Reilly for a package that fills our biggest holes.

Basically the issue is it’s hard to give up Dahlin’s upside in any deal because the only players you’d consider one for one are players who will not be dealt.

Don't forget Provorov. The next 4 years will feature Jones and Provorov heavily as yesteryear's Subban/Weber/EK/DD in Norris discussions. Hopefully our guy joins them in short order.

No you don’t even trade for McDavid. He already on a max cap deal. You control Dahlin at cap friendly prices for the next 6 years. Franchise D are few and far between.

Keep the kid. The last one of his caliber was Doughrty.

However franchise centers are coming more frequently. Hughes is next. Jack, McDavid, Matthews, Barzal, McKinnon have all come out recently.

I’d rather have the D.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I'm as optimistic and excited about this kid as anybody. But mcdavid? Come on. Trade in a heartbeat.

McDavid is great and where did his team finish? This is a salary cap league and a great D under cap control is worth more then a great center already at a max deal.

Who is in the ice more? The best D can play upwards of 30 minutes. The top forwards? 22 minutes.

McDavid is great and where did his team finish? This is a salary cap league and a great D under cap control is worth more then a great center already at a max deal.

Who is in the ice more? The best D can play upwards of 30 minutes. The top forwards? 22 minutes.

If Dahlin is great enough that you're confident "his team will finish" better, then that cap savings will last all of 3 seasons anyway. 

McDavid is by far the best hockey player in the world right now regardless of how stupid Chiarelli is, and no asset holds close to his value, and if you ever have the opportunity to trade one single asset for that asset and you don't do it, you should be fired and never be allowed to so much as hold pens for another NHL staff member for the rest of your life

If Dahlin is great enough that you're confident "his team will finish" better, then that cap savings will last all of 3 seasons anyway. 

McDavid is by far the best hockey player in the world right now regardless of how stupid Chiarelli is, and no asset holds close to his value, and if you ever have the opportunity to trade one single asset for that asset and you don't do it, you should be fired and never be allowed to so much as hold pens for another NHL staff member for the rest of your life

This is correct.

However, I love GA's Dahlin love. Give me more! Right into my veins!

McDavid is the best but how do finish out your roster? Let’s say you trade Dahlin for McDavid. Ok now what? Trade ROR for a D? Who are you getting and for what price? How about the often injured Fowler?

So what is a better lineup Jack, ROR, Casey with Risto and Dahlin

Or McDavid, Jack, Casey with Risto and Fowler for $7 mill more?

I’ll take what we have thanks

Before you say ROR for Fowler isn’t realistic, don’t forget Hall for Larsson.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

McDavid is the best but how do finish out your roster? Let’s say you trade Dahlin for McDavid. Ok now what? Trade ROR for a D? Who are you getting and for what price? How about the often injured Fowler?

So what is a better lineup Jack, ROR, Casey with Risto and Dahlin

Or McDavid, Jack, Casey with Risto and Fowler for $7 mill more?

I’ll take what we have thanks

Before you say ROR for Fowler isn’t realistic, don’t forget Hall for Larsson.

You be a GM - you would be increasing the overall hockey and trade value on your team by swapping McDavid for Dahlin. You make it work!

No you don’t even trade for McDavid. He already on a max cap deal. You control Dahlin at cap friendly prices for the next 6 years. Franchise D are few and far between.

Keep the kid. The last one of his caliber was Doughrty.

However franchise centers are coming more frequently. Hughes is next. Jack, McDavid, Matthews, Barzal, McKinnon have all come out recently.

I’d rather have the D.

After his 3 years are up, Dahlin gonna get big money.

After his 3 years are up, Dahlin gonna get big money.

All I have to say is thank g-d people here don't manage the cap for us.

Let me put this another way.

How many franchise centers have we had? Perreault, Hawerchuk, LaFontaine, Turgeon,and now Eichel.  How many Cup have we won? Zero.

How many franchise D have we had of the Lidstrom, Doughty, Neidermeyer, Stevens, type?  None.  Maybe it's time to try something new.

How many franchise centers have we had? Perreault, Hawerchuk, LaFontaine, Turgeon,and now Eichel.  How many Cup have we won? Zero.

How many franchise D have we had of the Lidstrom, Doughty, Neidermeyer, Stevens, type?  None.  Maybe it's time to try something new.

You would probably trade Eichel if you got McD. 

Also, you should realize that we're just having offseason fun. These are not things that would actually happen if we were general managers. Ain't nobody on this website a better hockey mind than anybody else. 

Schoenfeld...

I would say no god d_amn way !

Look, if we nurture Rasmus Dahlin carefuly and with a long term perspective im 100% sure this guy will 

become the best defensive player ever drafted from Europe in the history of NHL.

Erik Karlsson is a massive piece for any team, but long term Dahlin is the better choice, he just is.

I would say no god d_amn way !

Look, if we nurture Rasmus Dahlin carefuly and with a long term perspective im 100% sure this guy will

become the best defensive player ever drafted from Europe in the history of NHL.

Erik Karlsson is a massive piece for any team, but long term Dahlin is the better choice, he just is.

Have you watched Dahlin play live in person?

Have you watched Dahlin play live in person?

I have. 

The kid litterly see hockey like no other defender ive ever watched.

I watched Victor Hedman from 16 years old until he left for NHL, we are born here in the same town (Ornskoldsvik), 

ive not seen Rasmus as much as Victor obviously, but the answer is yes.

Id say Rasmus has Victors size and the speed of Erik Karlsson, but id say Rasmus is even more skilled than Erik, the kid does these things you would think is 

impossible. 

Kids hockeysense is very much like Peter Forsberg (If you remember him), his talant is unbeliveble, its like he see the future 20 seconds, like he has 2 eyes built in his neck aswell. No one can tell the future, but id say most experts are right about Rasmus and i believe we will look back in the future and say "They were all right about Rasmus, this kid is a ###### god" :D

Edited by MODO Hockey

I have.

The kid litterly see hockey like no other defender ive ever watched.

I watched Victor Hedman from 16 years old until he left for NHL, we are born here in the same town (Ornskoldsvik),

ive not seen Rasmus as much as Victor obviously, but the answer is yes.

Id say Rasmus has Victors size and the speed of Erik Karlsson, but id say Rasmus is even more skilled than Erik, the kid does these things you would think is

impossible.

Kids hockeysense is very much like Peter Forsberg (If you remember him), his talant is unbeliveble, its like he see the future 20 seconds, like he has 2 eyes built in his neck aswell. No one can tell the future, but id say most experts are right about Rasmus and i believe we will look back in the future and say "They were all right about Rasmus, this kid is a ###### god" :D

I’m going to need a minute:)

This has been a post on several other places I look.  Karlsson is 28, has one more year on his contract and then will hit the 9.5-11.0 million dollar threshold.  Erik Karlsson will not make this team a playoff team next year.  In addition, it continues to cripple our financial floundering.  Trading a controllable asset who has unlimited upside and shows more "tools" than Karlsson to me is a joke.  There is ZERO guarantee that he'd even stick around (Karlsson).  Unless they take Okposo, Bogosian, Moulson and Pominville and still return Karlsson, White, and other assets it makes no sense.  This team is going to be outside of the playoffs next year again.  Unless something drastically changes, or they hit on every single situation next year.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.