pick for Karlsson

brador

Said this earlier in my reply but once again, in my opinion i think Dahlin might have close to such hockeysense that Peter "The Great" Forsberg had, i see the similaritys quite often how Dahlin moves the puck and see the oportunites 20 seconds into the future like Peter could, Peter Forsberg is still the greatest forward ever that played this game, the talant he had was out of this world.

Look at this great vid and then go back and look on Dahlin vids, the similarity is there. Imagine Ullmark becomes the goalie we need, a mini "Forsberg"- Dahlin on the blue, sure gonna help this team hell of a lot.

Edited by MODO Hockey

I feel the opposite. I don't think we're hyped enough honestly 

I agree the board seems to have settled on, he will probably be as good as Ekblad but I hope he turns into Karlsson! When in reality I think it should be this guy has a legit shot to be better than Karlsson offensively and be like Lidstrom defensively. 

I agree the board seems to have settled on, he will probably be as good as Ekblad but I hope he turns into Karlsson! When in reality I think it should be this guy has a legit shot to be better than Karlsson offensively and be like Lidstrom defensively. 

Same. I think we've all tempered our expectations so much because of the under-delivering of the current players. Dahlin will be that good. 

A few nitpicks:

I don't think one person thinks he won't be better than Ekblad, but I do think it's possible his rookie season isn't as good as Ekblad's, for three reasons. One is that he is guaranteed to not have a partner as good as Campbell was that year. The second is that Phil has shown no inclination that Dahlin will get any sort of optimal usage, because Phil's usage is whacked out in general. Ekblad's was literally perfect. And third was, I don't think for a second that Dahlin is weak or not strong enough for the league, but Ekblad was already a 28 year old man during his rookie year, and was stronger than most of his opponents like Jack, which helped a lot. It's possible that Dahlin takes a little longer, is all, just like Hedman, Doughty, Karlsson all had under 22 points their rookie years. 

Of course, it's also possible he is Orr incarnate, and it's fun to dream while it's still summer. But I think Sabres fans on balance have a pretty good distribution of rookie year expectations for the kid. 

Also, we shouldn't be throwing around Karlsson offense and Lidstrom defense lightly. The combined package of those two things is, without exaggeration, the 2nd best defenseman in NHL history. This is guaranteed to no prospect ever, since it requires light-speed development and absolutely maxed potential, neither of which can be even close to guaranteed. 

I don't care if he's Bobby Orr, the best defenseman in 30 years, I just want him to be a true and good #1 defenseman. This team is so devoid of talent on the backend that I'M PUMPED to have this guy. PUMP UP THE HYPE MACHINE. If he's anywhere as good as they project, I've got my Elvis Costello tune PUMP IT UP, ready and primed to blare.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.