Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

There are over 20 guys in the locker room. Think of when you were at school, or the team you are in at work. Do you like all of them? Probably not, can you work with them / respect them? Yes. Penn and Teller aren't even friends off stage. Just because ROR and Eichel don't ride a tandem bike to work doesnt mean there is an issue.

If ROR is being traded, we are trading a top line centre (not top line in the sense of Crosby, McDavid etc.) top line as in starting centre on most teams. We absolutely need a kings ransom. Eichel was bad defensively and he wasnt even being asked to play the hard defensive minutes. We would require a good young defensive 2nd line 40 point + player, a proper blue chip prospect and a 1st/2nd at an absolute minimum. I think ROR is almost not worth trading - i.e. his value is worth more than most teams will pay.

yeah, the Sabres should be holding their heads high over the Coyotes. What did the standings look like at the end of last season?

I cant remember where, but I was reading something about Risto and trading him where they said Risto and Eichel also weren't fond of each other....

Eichel doesn't seem to like a lot of people...

There is absolutely no proof of this being remotely true.

I'm not saying there is, but it has been reported he didn't like Blysma, ROR and now Risto. Not to mention if it were any other player proof would not be needed.

Many a whipping boy has been created from a single rumour. 

I do think Eichel is too often held a though he is beyond criticism Whereas most star players are held responsible for the state of a franchise, it feels like Eichel is all too frequently absolved of any responsibility. 

Who said Eichel doesn't like Risto, and how could they have just gotten this information now, two months since the team was last all together in one place? 

Apuszczalowski said he couldn't remember where he read it. I don't think anyone is saying it is true, but we comment on rumours all the time here, so I don't see whats different about this one (bar it being about Eichel and somewhat negative). I generally trust posters to not out right lie, and as I am not connected into US/Buffalo news I trust them on their reporting of news.

I'm not saying there is, but it has been reported he didn't like Blysma, ROR and now Risto. Not to mention if it were any other player proof would not be needed.

I do think Eichel is too often held a though he is beyond criticism Whereas most star players are held responsible for the state of a franchise, it feels like Eichel is all too frequently absolved of any responsibility.

The community deserves better reporting. We have Hamilton spouting nonsense which turns into this narrative. Beyond that, does the "locker room culture" matter at all? Shouldn't the emphasis be on crafting the most productive lineup that results in wins rather than who ends up hanging out at the bar following the game?

Finally, selfishly I come here for the trade rumors not locker room gossip. I may lose some of my millennial street cred but I don't have the Facebook or the Twitter. Is there really nothing juicy out there we can discuss?

Edited by Doctor of Philhousley

The community deserves better reporting. We have Hamilton sprouting nonsense which turns into this narrative. Beyond that, does the "locker room culture" matter at all? Shouldn't the emphasis be on crafting the most productive lineup that results in wins rather than who ends up hanging out at the bar following the game?

Finally, selfishly I come here for the trade rumors not locker room gossip. I may lose some of my millennial street cred but I don't have the Facebook or the Twitter. Is there really nothing juicy out there we can discuss?

I agree. I also think expecting/wanting all the players to be best friends off the ice is wrong. I would rather have a group of professionals who showed up to games and practices and never spoke off the ice, than a group of best friends using hockey to fund a bar crawl (not that I am saying the Sabres players do that.. before it gets misinterpreted).

That said, I think it is interesting if a player/players actively don't get along - as I think that is pretty rare for an adult in a work environment. Further, it is interesting (if true) that the players on the block are the ones that Eichel most dislikes - as it does imply this really is his and his team alone. E.g. what happens if Dahlin doesn't get on with him etc. etc. Basically I think players actively not getting on leads to trade rumours.

But it does seem like the news out there is mostly wild speculation sadly.

Tyler Johnson and Ondrej Palat have full no-trade clauses kicking in soon. Just sayin'.

I wouldn't mind Palat, but what does he cost to get? Can we flog them Nylander? As a Drouin replacement...

Other than Dwight, Tim Murray, & probably his own mother; is there ANYONE who likes Bylsma? ;)

I wouldn't mind Palat, but what does he cost to get? Can we flog them Nylander? As a Drouin replacement...

Perhaps cheaper than what he's actually worth, because of the contracts they need to hand out next offseason. I certainly hope we inquire - talk about a player that can help Jack win his ES matchups. 

I like the players but with another extortion draft around the corner I don’t think I want to take on any no trade/movement clause contracts.

I believe the weird thing is that those clauses are only binding with the club that signed the contract. I.e. when we trade for them we are under no obligation to allow the NMC to be enacted.

That said, I think Botterill has made a conscious decision to hand Jack the reins of this team and my have decided trading ROR is a part of that. I hope it doesn’t result in him taking the best offer if that best offer is not commensurate with O’Reilly’s value.

I’d guess Botterill is too value-conscious to do that.

I haven't heard the interview. I was going off what Brawndo posted (above). A reporter saying that multiple sources have told him that two players don't get along is, or would be, significant.

Ya, I mean, did he mention Sabres staff members or not? That’s pretty key. I’ll have to listen.

If O’Reilly is traded I doubt it happens before July 1.

Same teams looking at ROR will also be looking at what happens with Tavares and Ryan has a $7.5 million bonus owed that day.

If the Sabres pick up that, the last five years of his contract pay out just $25 million over five years, which ought to look good to a team like Carolina.

Edited by dudacek

If O’Reilly is traded I doubt it happens before July 1.

Same teams looking at ROR will also be looking at what happens with Tavares and Ryan has a $7.5 million bonus owed that day.

If the Sabres pick up that, the last five years of his contract pay out just $25 million over five years, which ought to look good to a team like Carolina.

Could they not cover the bonus regardless? I still think the draft is a likely trade time should he indeed find himself on the move.

Could they not cover the bonus regardless? I still think the draft is a likely trade time should he indeed find himself on the move.

Not sure about that. I think there’s might be rules against it in the CBA.

I remember the Leafs made a trade that essentially had two parts: they announced the first half at the draft and the second after July 1, and I think bonuses may have been the reason: Bernier? Andersen?

There’s no reason why he couldn’t be traded at the draft, but the only reason he need to be traded then is if a pick is part of the deal.

I hope that’s not the case.

Edited by dudacek

I’d guess Botterill is too value-conscious to do that.

Ya, I mean, did he mention Sabres staff members or not? That’s pretty key. I’ll have to listen.

“From what I hear from people I’m not convinced they are best friends”

Hamilton’s Quote

I have a few friends who are on the Sabres Medical Staff and are in the training area just off the room in between periods and post game. They have mentioned the animosity once or twice.

Edited by Brawndo

“From what I hear from people I’m not convinced they are best friends”

Hamilton’s Quote

I have a few friends who are on the Sabres Medical Staff and are in the training area just off the room in between periods and post game. They have mentioned the animosity once or twice.

Sounds like a group of guys who hate losing and know that the rest of the talent in the lockerroom isn't enough to stop it.  My guess is if they start winning all that BS goes away. 

On hfboards I saw a proposal that is probably the only prospects+picks combination you could pay me to give ROR for. It was Vince Dunn, Robert Thomas, and their second 1st rounder. 

Vince Dunn is already playing and is a top 4 D with top pairing upside, and Robert Thomas is ready to go, and is at least on equal footing with Mittelstadt: both top 5 prospects outside the NHL. It's like the "Richards return" on steroids. 

I'm violating my "guarantee" requirement, but the value here sways overwhelmingly in our favor, enough for me to take it. 

Especially if you consider that first as a big part of trading for a goalie. 

On hfboards I saw a proposal that is probably the only prospects+picks combination you could pay me to give ROR for. It was Vince Dunn, Robert Thomas, and their second 1st rounder. 

Vince Dunn is already playing and is a top 4 D with top pairing upside, and Robert Thomas is ready to go, and is at least on equal footing with Mittelstadt: both top 5 prospects outside the NHL. It's like the "Richards return" on steroids. 

I'm violating my "guarantee" requirement, but the value here sways overwhelmingly in our favor, enough for me to take it. 

Especially if you consider that first as a big part of trading for a goalie.

I would do this trade in a heartbeat.

The problem is there is NFW that St Louis Trades Thomas.

I doubt they would even agree to Jordan Kyrou , Dunn and Winnipeg’s First.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.