Kim Pegula IN

Eleven

I wish Kim well, and hope for the best.

My hope is that she will surround herself with trustworthy, smart people, and recognize where her limitations are.

I mostly don't care for her apparent tastes in matters creative, but I think she can be a good chief officer.

My hope is that she will surround herself with trustworthy, smart people, and recognize where her limitations are.

I think this is a general overseeer position for her.

These two quotes right here are what I picture the job to be.  I really wish we could get a true picture of what the job.  All too often it seems that people think the president is out there drawing up plays on the clipboard during practice.  Now I know those clipboards with an ice rink are cool, but I doubt one will ever find its way into Kim's office.

I think the Pegulas are learning to take a more hands on approach in the day to day stuff. It seems like at the beginning they were hoping to run things the way Terry has always run his fracking ventures: hire a bunch of people and put them to work, things will sort themselves out.

But this sports venture appears to have been a different animal than they expected. We've seen the problems that have come with too much of a hands-off approach, especially with the way the Sabres were being run under Murray. They also, perhaps, were taking the advice of people who shared different mindsets when it comes to how things should be run, the culture of an org, etc. They're clearly trying to establish a uniform culture (take that how you will). 

I think the Pegulas are getting a grasp on this business now. I think Kim taking the reigns herself is good. That kind of can-do, no BS attitude should trickle down through the ranks. 

I think the Pegulas are learning to take a more hands on approach in the day to day stuff. It seems like at the beginning they were hoping to run things the way Terry has always run his fracking ventures: hire a bunch of people and put them to work, things will sort themselves out.

But this sports venture appears to have been a different animal than they expected. We've seen the problems that have come with too much of a hands-off approach, especially with the way the Sabres were being run under Murray. They also, perhaps, were taking the advice of people who shared different mindsets when it comes to how things should be run, the culture of an org, etc. They're clearly trying to establish a uniform culture (take that how you will). 

I think the Pegulas are getting a grasp on this business now. I think Kim taking the reigns herself is good. That kind of can-do, no BS attitude should trickle down through the ranks. 

In other words, growth.  They were foolish to say that they could turn this around so quickly when they first took over.  Since then, they've learned a lot and hopefully things are now headed down the right path.  Making mistakes at the beginning does not guarantee that they will make those same mistakes forever.

Soon, I think, it will be announced that Beane and Botts will be named VP Football / Hockey Operations and GM of their respective teams.  And be named Alt-Governors.

This sounds right.

They're clearly trying to establish a uniform culture (take that how you will). 

As for the uniform culture, I agree. It's not one that resonates with me, but I think it very well may work out for them.

Small tangent: I heard that Stanford DT on WGR this morning. Holy shnikes does he fit in with the culture they're trying to build. And I'll say: Dude was impressive.

The idea that Kim Pegula is unqualified to run her own business makes as much sense as saying Smell is unqualified to run his own household. It’s her business.

The idea that she lacks the prerequisite skill is ironic given the Neanderthal morons that hockey has routinely put in charge of its organizations whose best qualifications have been their ability to put a puck in the net or paste a body into a wall while skating.

It is entirely likely that 20 plus years of working in the business world and seven of operating the Sabres have given her sizeable knowledge and insight into people and organizations, especially this organization and this community.

It is entirely possible she has the character and intelligence necessary to complement that background and be a leader; to recognize those areas where she needs to push, and those where she needs to nurture, and to surround herself with good people and put them into positions where they can succeed.

I have no more insight into this than I did about Brandon, or Eleven’s Vegas dude, or any other sports business executive.

And neither do the vast majority of you.

Edited by dudacek

The idea that Kim Pegula is unqualified to run her own business makes as much sense as saying Smell is unqualified to run his own household. It’s her business.

The idea that she lacks the prerequisite skill is ironic given the Neanderthal morons that hockey has routinely put in charge of its organizations whose best qualifications have been their ability to put a puck in the net or paste a body into a wall while skating.

It is entirely likely that 20 plus years of working in the business world and seven of operating the Sabres have given her sizeable knowledge and insight into people and organizations, especially this organization and this community.

It is entirely possible she has the character and intelligence necessary to complement that background and be a leader; to recognize those areas where she needs to push, and those where she needs to nurture, and to surround herself with good people and put them into positions where they can succeed.

I have no more insight into this than I did about Brandon, or Eleven’s Vegas dude, or any other sports business executive.

I would say all of us, but maybe one or two people have some inside info.

I think this is a general overseeer position for her.

Soon, I think, it will be announced that Beane and Botts will be named VP Football / Hockey Operations and GM of their respective teams.  And be named Alt-Governors.

I don't think so. Kim is not above them in the organizational chart. They could be presidents of hockey/football operations, but they already are, really.

We really need some clarity from the Pegulas as to what Kim is going to be doing, exactly.

I think some here are overthinking her role.

It is also entirely possible that those Neandethal morons have great insight into what winning organizations do culture and process-wise to foster the right path to team success. And I suspect that those folks critical of the Pegulas hands on approach are folks that want to see people at the very top that have extensive exposure to winning cultures and processes.

It’s not so much about the Pegulas competence as it is their lack of exposure to highly succesful people in what I assume is a unique industry.

It is also entirely possible that those Neandethal morons have great insight into what winning organizations do culture and process-wise to foster the right path to team success.

Absolutely. This is my point. Their success in winning hockey games as a player may be relevant to the organizational success of the Sabres. So too may be the Pegulas success in drilling for oil.

I suspect that those folks critical of the Pegulas hands on approach are folks that want to see people at the very top that have extensive exposure to winning cultures and processes.

It’s not so much about the Pegulas competence as it is their lack of exposure to highly succesful people in what I assume is a unique industry.

Is this not Jason Botterill and Brandon Beane? Edited by dudacek

Unless Smell bought his household, I don't think the analogy is apt.

If you bought that pastry shop down the road that you enjoy frequenting at noontime on Monday and Thursday, a little later on both Saturday and Sunday (awesome bear claws eh?), would you be qualified to run it?

Is there any chance this means she will get more media exposure and Terry will get less? I hope so, because she seems a lot more comfortable with a mic in her face than he does.

I think it's a package deal.  They're running this entire show together and you won't see any real change to who gets more air time.

Absolutely. This is my point. Their success in winning hockey games as a player may be relevant to the organizational success of the Sabres. So too may be the Pegulas success in drilling for oil.

Is this not Jason Botterill and Brandon Beane?

To point #1, it is rational to believe that oil and sports are different enough that cultures and processes for success in each looks very different.

Iy is also rational to believe that they aren’t different.

Regarding point #2, Yes. But that’s not to say a President with appropriate credentials isn’t still desirable over a president that doesn’t have them.

Kim is not above them in the organizational chart. 

Yes she is.

post-760-0-20255000-1525281102_thumb.png

post-760-0-14551200-1525281155_thumb.png

Like, literally.

p.s. It's a little strange that she is not listed as an owner of the Bills.

We really need some clarity from the Pegulas as to what Kim is going to be doing, exactly.

To my ear, the tone of this is part of what I've been talking about. She owns the team(s). As a result, I just presume that she'll be doing whatever she has a mind to do. 

The one thing I am encouraged with is when the fans were rumbling about the arena experience and improvements, they generally fell on deaf ears with prior administrations until Kim took it upon her and the PSE team to try to fix it. Now, not everything that was done was successful or made a difference, but there was at least some recognition that they understood what the fans were asking for.

I see her going after the quick wins and things the business side can control (Think Nashville or Vegas fan experience vs. current Sabres game day) to improve the overall event. The biggest thing will always be having a talented winning team, but at least we have another shot at having the business side folks "stay in their lane" and work on arena/events/experience stuff.

I can't say that Brandon's time as President had many decisions that were popular with the fans, despite keeping the team in Buffalo (if you give him credit for that). It often seemed he did whatever he felt was best, regardless of what the fan base had asked for.

Unless Smell bought his household, I don't think the analogy is apt.

If you bought that pastry shop down the road that you enjoy frequenting at noontime on Monday and Thursday, a little later on both Saturday and Sunday (awesome bear claws eh?), would you be qualified to run it?

Funny you mention that. My brother in law had a deal on the table to buy a bakery. He is an accountant and doesn’t bake but went through training so he understood how the operatio worked.

The deal fell apart because he wanted to be a hands-off owner and the franchise demanded he be hands-on.

To answer your question. Kim isn’t taking over the pastry shop down the road. She’s taking over the one she’s had a hand in operating for seven years.

To point #1, it is rational to believe that oil and sports are different enough that cultures and processes for success in each looks very different.

Iy is also rational to believe that they aren’t different.

Regarding point #2, Yes. But that’s not to say a President with appropriate credentials isn’t still desirable over a president that doesn’t have them.

It is also reasonable to think that the process and culture necessary to make a hockey team a success on ice is significantly different than the same for its success off ice.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.