Evander Kane did very well in his 1st playoff game

gilbert11

but remember we got a lot for him and he's not a Buffalo guy and a locker room cancer....we don't need a strong, fast goal scoring winger

Said no one. 

We needed a guy signed beyond this year, or some assets that would be. 

Good for Evander. 

Here's a quote from the Sharks' coach in the post-game presser.   Note the section I bolded - remember when this was going to be "Hockey Heaven" under the Pegulas loving touch......?   Now apparently Buffalo is a known pariah in the league to be avoided.    Wuh happen???  Nothing will ruin a good player quicker than doing a 'stint' in Buffalo.  lol

"(Kane) is a world-class player," San Jose coach Peter DeBoer said. "I think Buffalo was a tough situation for everybody, and when he got the opportunity to get into our room and play with Burns and Pavelski, he was re-energized. That's what you're seeing: A guy who got his passion back and came to the rink excited."

Worst team in the league: Tough situation, indeed.

“Hockey Heaven” was nothing more than a branding effort that had some backup in terms of money being spent, facilities being developed, and partnerships being formed (USA Hockey, the draft combine).

Worst team in the league. Of course it was a bad situation.

Go, Evander! Go, Sharks!

when did he change his name to Cane? with a "C"...anyways, it just may be it was not him that was the 'cancer" but rather the Sabres' dressing room is full of "cancer" cause they sure did not look any better after getting rid of the supposed cancer (Kane). glad for Evander though

If they like him so much, re-sign him so we can get a first rounder.

He should be energized to play in the playoffs. If he gets on a roll he can score a lot of goals.

That locker room would be strong enough to keep him focused, but he will never improve his hockey sense.

what does that mean? He's a strong, fast winger who scores goals.

Worst team in the league: Tough situation, indeed.

“Hockey Heaven” was nothing more than a branding effort that had some backup in terms of money being spent, facilities being developed, and partnerships being formed (USA Hockey, the draft combine).

Worst team in the league. Of course it was a bad situation.

Go, Evander! Go, Sharks!

And I still just don't think he felt comfortable here in Buffalo. Like...this wasn't his kinda place. Winnipeg was probably worse. 

He's going to be happy in San Jose. And he's going to be a good fit for that team.

At least until guys like Thornton, Pavelski, and Burns leave...

It is what it is, when you have a losing culture and a team that sucks, players often don't do well.  If the team would've had success and played playoff hockey last couple years, Kane would probably still be here tearing it up for us. 

I dont think it has anything to do with the city in which they play.  Most guys don't even stay in the cities they play in the offseason.  They spend a lot of time on the road as well.  yeah Buffalo and Peg are small market and smaller cities, but why would that have any effect on Kane's play?  He's surrounded by some really good talent and a winning team that is always in the playoffs, of course he is playing well now.

there's that word

It is what it is, when you have a losing culture and a team that sucks, players often don't do well.  If the team would've had success and played playoff hockey last couple years, Kane would probably still be here tearing it up for us. 

I dont think it has anything to do with the city in which they play.  Most guys don't even stay in the cities they play in the offseason.  They spend a lot of time on the road as well.  yeah Buffalo and Peg are small market and smaller cities, but why would that have any effect on Kane's play?  He's surrounded by some really good talent and a winning team that is always in the playoffs, of course he is playing well now.

Again that word "Culture" . Buffalo doesn't have a losing culture, there is no such thing. T 

The Sabres were a team constantly over matched by better teams who have more depth and more skill.  Get better players - get more wins. Simple as that.

Can anyone who believe's in Losing Culture explain to me the Leafs 1 season turn around? Missing the play-offs for 9 of the previous 10 and finishing dead last the year prior?

Losing culture gets misconstrued as some kind of all-encompassing funk that hangs over a team.

What it really means is that a team just consistently fails to get the right mixture of talent, attitude, chemistry, work ethic, and leadership qualities. 

A losing culture can be a team with too much talent and no work ethic.  A losing culture can be a team with a ton of work ethic and no talent. Or a ton of talent and no chemistry. 

A winning culture is just a team that has managed to hit on the right mixture for an extended period of time. Perhaps there are some talented scouts or a talented GM or coach who has a good read for what guys bring what to that mixture.

You see winning cultures on teams like Boston where a group of guys really just works well together in the room (Marchand, Bergeron, Chara), and they hold things together through coaching and GM changes and roster turnover. They might turn into a total dumpster fire of a team when those guys retire. Who knows. 

I sure as hell would want to avoid this ###### winter we have to be on the coast in the nice weather, and I'm a just a regular dude, imagine a star player with lots of dollars, yeah no one is taking buffalo over the that option.

Right? Like, I'm sure there are guys like me who love playing in places like Minnesota because they love winter. But I also know that walking out of the rink in shorts and a t-shirt is really nice.

Until this team turns it around good players like Kane will not sign extensions here nor will good players come here of their own free will. Some might but as it stands now this is hockey purgatory where you have guys around the league talking about the sabres in a negative light and media snickering about the sad sack ways of teams like Buffalo. Unfortunately the city will also be dragged down when they do this. I've heard it on talk radio out here. Get used to it. It is what it is and its unfortunate. Get better. Improve the team. Turn it around or continue to hear it . 7 years without the playoffs. Dead in last 3 out of the last 5 seasons. We suck.

Good point.

No I don't think it was a good point, when Kane was here he made a constant barrage of blasting the guy. He can't admit he was WRONG about the guy without putting some spin on it.

Edited by jsb

Here's a quote from the Sharks' coach in the post-game presser.   Note the section I bolded - remember when this was going to be "Hockey Heaven" under the Pegulas loving touch......?   Now apparently Buffalo is a known pariah in the league to be avoided.    Wuh happen???  Nothing will ruin a good player quicker than doing a 'stint' in Buffalo.  lol

"(Kane) is a world-class player," San Jose coach Peter DeBoer said. "I think Buffalo was a tough situation for everybody, and when he got the opportunity to get into our room and play with Burns and Pavelski, he was re-energized. That's what you're seeing: A guy who got his passion back and came to the rink excited."[/size]

I wouldn't read too much into that.  The Sabres were DFL.  That's the "tough situation" he's referring to.

Edited by Anordning

What

I don't want to pick a fight with you sir but if you're going to deny 2/3 of your posts on Kane were negative ones when he was here, you need to see someone about your short term memory loss  :P

I wouldn't read too much into that.  The Sabres were DFL.  That's the "tough situation" he's referring to.

That's what I read into it also

No I don't think it was a good point, when Kane was here he made a constant barrage of blasting the guy. He can't admit he was WRONG about the guy without putting some spin on it.

Even accepting that d4rk was a Kane-basher (and I'm not sure he was (I know I sure was)), the point has the ring of truth to it.

Kane seems very much like a big-market baller. I acknowledge what's said above re how players don't see much of their team's city/area during the season, but I think that overstates matters. The player is still in and of the area -- driving here and there, doing this and that. I wish I could find the blog/status entries that Ryan Miller made on ... was it MySpace? ... back when he was first in Buffalo (under an account that was intended to be anonymous). There was lots of normal stuff discussed there, even in-season. 

'Peg and Buffalo have small-town vibes (and, for my part, I am happy with them, thanks very much). Now E. Kane's in Siicon Valley, northern California. Totally different scene. I think he's happy as a pig in sh1t.

+++

One more observation re the mic'd up video. His strategic conversation with his linemate struck me potentially as reflective of the sort of hur-dur-Kaner-skate-fast-up-the-ice mentality that frustrated me when I watched him play in Buffalo.

I don't doubt that his magnificent physical skills and intensity could be very useful in the correct setting. It wasn't happening here, though.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.