Bucky Gleason and the Culture of Losing

GASabresIUFAN

http://buffalonews.com/2018/04/10/bucky-gleason-sabres-feeling-lingering-affects-of-failed-master-plan/

Against my better judgement I read Bucky’s latest rant against Pegula and the tank.

I’ll sum it up for you. Pegula and his stupid tank strategy has created a black hole of losing that sucks in even “honest” players like Ryan O’Reilly and the Sabres are going to be stuck in this vortex forever.

In this rant he dismisses the turnaround in Colorado by saying they were recently (5 seasons ago) one of the best teams in the NHL. He ignores the fact that that Avs team wax an aboration. Prior to this season, the was the Avs only visit to the playoffs in 7 years. Oops.

Where I agree with Bucky is that we have had incompetent management until now since Pegula owned the team. I agree that TM was in over his head. However this culture of losing is simply crap.

Toronto has had a culture of losing since 1967. Suddenly 50 years of losing is washed away by good drafting and roster construction by competent management. The Blackhawks drafted well following a management shake up after Rocky Wirtz died and bam their decades long culture of losing is gone.

The truth is we are still recovering from TM and DR’s handling of our team (more TM). It was TM who traded away all the “tank” assets. It was TM who gave away huge contracts (or acquired huge contracts) that saddled this franchise with overpaid players many of which contribute nothing on the ice. It was TM and DR who drafted poorly.

This isn’t a culture of losing, but a culture of mis-management.

I actually think it’s different this time. Jbot focuses on hockey trades rather than mortgaging the future trades like TM. Jbot is focused on having prospects develop in the AHL, instead of rushing them to the NHL like DR. Jbot also has something TM never had. Jbot hired Randy Sexton as his AGM. Why is this important? It’s important because Sexton is an older experience ex NHL GM with whom JBot has a strong working relationship. This gives Jbot a sounding board and experience to draw on to do his job well.

The truth is we are still recovering from TM and DR’s handling of our team (more TM). It was TM who traded away all the “tank” assets. It was TM who gave away huge contracts (or acquired huge contracts) that saddled this franchise with overpaid players many of which contribute nothing on the ice. It was TM and DR who drafted poorly.

This isn’t a culture of losing, but a culture of mis-management.

I would love it if JBot stated the above in his end of year presser, and contrasted having to deal with legacy contracts and assets to Vegas's clean slate.

I actually think it’s different this time. Jbot focuses on hockey trades rather than mortgaging the future trades like TM. Jbot is focused on having prospects develop in the AHL, instead of rushing them to the NHL like DR. Jbot also has something TM never had. Jbot hired Randy Sexton as his AGM. Why is this important? It’s important because Sexton is an older experience ex NHL GM with whom JBot has a strong working relationship. This gives Jbot a sounding board and experience to draw on to do his job well.

I like to think you're correct. I hope you are, anyway.

Edited by Anordning

It's amazing how you can keep track of everyone's opinions over the length and breadth of the decades. Truly impressive! You and dark are really on fire today.

I said "probably" somewhat sardonically.  It's on the record that I don't read Gleason's column and haven't in over a decade--not even in the print edition.  I've stated it numerous times.

Edited by Eleven

I see this on here some times: “it’s hopeless and will never get better.”

Of course it will. It has and it does; the evidence is everywhere.

Yup. But we're Buffalo, so it won't happen to us. Obviously.

Moreover, we can re-hash the tank all we want, but when a team's best non-top-10 draft pick in a decade is Jake McCabe, it's going to suck. Keeping Torrey Mitchel, Christ Stewart, and Jhonas Enroth isn't going to move the needle.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.