Locker Room Clean-out Day: 4/9/2018

LGR4GM

They are saying why they sucked. Maybe they should say how they are going to get better.

I will post more stuff here. 

Pominville: “It’s not a lack of skill or lack of talent in the room. A lot of it is mindset. Doing it every day. It’s not once, or when you play good teams, it’s every day at practice and every day at the gym.”

Eichel: “I’m invested in this city and this organization. I’m here for a while. Things will get better and it starts with me.”

Okposo: “We need to change the mindset. You have to go into games thinking you’ll win every game. And if you don’t win, eh, that’s fine, we’ll win the next one. It starts with habits and the foundation of our work.”

Jack Eichel: “At times it was there, but the best teams and best organizations, they’re consistently doing it every night every year. That’s why they’re in the playoffs every year.”

They are saying why they sucked. Maybe they should say how they are going to get better.

Buffalo SabresVerified account[/size] @BuffaloSabres 58s59 seconds ago

More

Eichel seems to be addressing that issue. But I disagree with Pommer. Aging talent is not talent and cant wait till guys like Nolan, Polliott, Lehner, Pommer, Gorges, Beaulieu are gone. Larson and Girgenson are fourth liners, Falk is 8-9th man on D. That will be two years down the rod but if half that happens next year we will see improvements.

Pominville: “It’s not a lack of skill or lack of talent in the room. A lot of it is mindset. Doing it every day. It’s not once, or when you play good teams, it’s every day at practice and every day at the gym.”

Buffalo SabresVerified account[/size] @BuffaloSabres 21m21 minutes ago

More

Eichel: “I’m invested in this city and this organization. I’m here for a while. Things will get better and it starts with me.”

Buffalo SabresVerified account[/size] @BuffaloSabres 5m5 minutes ago

More

Okposo: “We need to change the mindset. You have to go into games thinking you’ll win every game. And if you don’t win, eh, that’s fine, we’ll win the next one. It starts with habits and the foundation of our work.”

Buffalo SabresVerified account[/size] @BuffaloSabres 28m28 minutes ago

More

Jack Eichel: “At times it was there, but the best teams and best organizations, they’re consistently doing it every night every year. That’s why they’re in the playoffs every year.”

You're a loser, Kyle

Jack Eichel, will not go to the world championships: due to getting healthy for next year

Good

You're a loser, Kyle

Good

This is a bit much. That's essentially the attitude you need to have as a pro athlete. You'll hear it from goalies a lot: "I let that goal in, but the only thing I can worry about is making the next save." 

This team seems to get down on itself and let prior results weigh on them too much. Kyle is right. 

This is a bit much. That's essentially the attitude you need to have as a pro athlete. You'll hear it from goalies a lot: "I let that goal in, but the only thing I can worry about is making the next save."

This team seems to get down on itself and let prior results weigh on them too much. Kyle is right.

You learn from the loss and move on.

We’ve heard all this stuff for years here in Sabreland. They’ve always been good at talking and making excuses for their play. It’s the ONE thing this franchise has mastered over the years. Now if we can ever see them play as well as they talk, we might actually have a real team someday.

Edited by Billznut

Didn't much care for lost passion comment from ROR.

Seems as though he pouted all season by not being named captain.

Lost his passion for the game but is going to play for Canada? 

Being honest is good in my eye but to say that then he is going to play for Team Canada coming up, I just lost a bunch of respect for him by that move.

I read that differently.  I think he's subtweeting ROR here...

You learn from the loss and move on.

Right. That's all he's saying.

Instead it seems we have guys just sitting around stewing over losses.

I think there's two different mentalities. You can put the past loss behind you and be indifferent about the loss, or you can be mad about it and determined not to let it happen again. This, to me, just sounds like indifference

We’ve heard all this stuff for years here in Sabreland. They’ve always been good at talking and making excuses for their play. It’s the ONE thing this franchise has mastered over the years. Now if we can ever see them play as well as they talk, we might actually have a real team someday.

How dare you.

I think there's two different mentalities. You can put the past loss behind you and be indifferent about the loss, or you can be mad about it and determined not to let it happen again. This, to me, just sounds like indifference

Trust me. Kyle is not indifferent. In fact he's the opposite of that.

Didn't much care for lost passion comment from ROR.

Seems as though he pouted all season by not being named captain.

Lost his passion for the game but is going to play for Canada?

Being honest is good in my eye but to say that then he is going to play for Team Canada coming up, I just lost a bunch of respect for him by that move.

He hates losing more than anyone and takes blame, always pointing the finger at himself before anyone else. That's a great leader.

Put a guy with that attitude in an atmosphere where his teammates accept loses and the coach is OK with it... that sounds like a living hell. If we're talking a 20 game beer league season, yeah it's doable to keep your chin up for a couple months. Stretch that out over an 82 game season and it becomes a serious drag mentally and emotionally for a guy like him.

He hates losing more than anyone and takes blame, always pointing the finger at himself before anyone else. That's a great leader.

Put a guy with that attitude in an atmosphere where his teammates accept loses and the coach is OK with it... that sounds like a living hell. If we're talking a 20 game beer league season, yeah it's doable to keep your chin up for a couple months. Stretch that out over an 82 game season and it becomes a serious drag mentally and emotionally for a guy like him.

Taking all the blame doesn't make you a great leader. Leading makes you a great leader.

If he played a great game and they lose, he shouldn't be all "I need to better " he should be like "player x and y didn't seem to care tonight, we'll work on their effort at practice"

Edited by Skurk Liger

Jack Eichel, will not go to the world championships: due to getting healthy for next year

Sam Reinhart will not go to the world championships: due to contract negotiations

Good. Really looking forward to the day we no longer give a rat's bippy about the WC's like we didn't the 1st 41 years the Sabres existed because the Sabres players were busy playing in a more meaningful tournament.

Let Mittelstadt go so he gets used to playing meaningful hockey games against men. If Rodrigues or somebody of that stature can get an invite, let him go too. But anybody that's in the top 6 or a top 4, heal up & begin getting ready for next year.

Please shake this roster up as much as possible JBOT. ROR, Okposo, Bogo, Pominville, Girgensons, get them outta here. Even is you get 50 cents on the dollar. Enough is enough. Every player listed there can immediately be replaced by someone in the org. Buh-bye.

Welcome to the most useless day of the year.

Every player has a general script to read from to deliver a message that will placate the masses and not really tell anyone anything.

If every player says that "we" accepted losing (in any of 16 different phrasings) then I suppose the entire team has to go.  I also don't buy it.  I buy that there are some problems that continue in the locker room that made it a trying atmosphere but that story only gets the media into their faces more and that's not what any of them want.

So tell the generic "We accepted losing" story because that story dies fast and doesn't get people rankled.  

This is no different than working at a company where there are a few problems on your team.  You don't go telling everyone outside your team about it because the other groups view your team as a whole and not as individuals.  You have to deal with it internally.  Bob's as really nice guy and talented but he's in the wrong position and being asked to do what he cannot do.  Bob's lack of ability is a frustration to him and his teammates.  It creates a negative opinion of the team to those outside the team as well.  However, if you go out and say, "Well, Bob is the problem." you aren't helping because Bob really isn't the problem so much as Bob PLUS position is the problem.  You can't say "We have people on the team who aren't qualified." because that makes people ask even more questions.  You can't say "We have people who don't want to be here." because that raises more questions.

The best thing to say is, "Our team is struggling and we've got to be better."  Because that's what everyone already sees and accepts.  Captain Obvious is popular for a reason.

Meh... unless someone breaks from the script I am not buying into anything they say.  I'll buy into what they do.

Taking all the blame doesn't make you a great leader. Leading makes you a great leader.

If he played a great game and they lose, he shouldn't be all "I need to better " he should be like "player x and y didn't seem to care tonight, we'll work on their effort at practice"

You don't call out your own teammates in the media.... that's a surefire way to alienate yourself in the locker room.   

By taking blame and saying he needs to be better, is a great example.   If everybody on the team had that attitude they'd have much better results.

You don't call out your own teammates in the media.... that's a surefire way to alienate yourself in the locker room.

By taking blame and saying he needs to be better, is a great example. If everybody on the team had that attitude they'd have much better results.

The problem is that it can be perceived as a guilt tactic. He is essentially calling out his teammates by needlessly trying to take complete responsibility for the failures of the team.

I have to imagine it rubs some guys the wrong way because even though it may seem genuine it's kinda like "you guys are doing this to me."

Welcome to the most useless day of the year.

Every player has a general script to read from to deliver a message that will placate the masses and not really tell anyone anything.

If every player says that "we" accepted losing (in any of 16 different phrasings) then I suppose the entire team has to go. I also don't buy it. I buy that there are some problems that continue in the locker room that made it a trying atmosphere but that story only gets the media into their faces more and that's not what any of them want.

So tell the generic "We accepted losing" story because that story dies fast and doesn't get people rankled.

This is no different than working at a company where there are a few problems on your team. You don't go telling everyone outside your team about it because the other groups view your team as a whole and not as individuals. You have to deal with it internally. Bob's as really nice guy and talented but he's in the wrong position and being asked to do what he cannot do. Bob's lack of ability is a frustration to him and his teammates. It creates a negative opinion of the team to those outside the team as well. However, if you go out and say, "Well, Bob is the problem." you aren't helping because Bob really isn't the problem so much as Bob PLUS position is the problem. You can't say "We have people on the team who aren't qualified." because that makes people ask even more questions. You can't say "We have people who don't want to be here." because that raises more questions.

The best thing to say is, "Our team is struggling and we've got to be better." Because that's what everyone already sees and accepts. Captain Obvious is popular for a reason.

Meh... unless someone breaks from the script I am not buying into anything they say. I'll buy into what they do.

Couldve said we have lot of young players learning to play together with them. Was it frustrating yup, be we are going to keep working on meshing and learning to bring it every night. That is part of my job as one of the leaders on this team. Not this self immolation crap. Edited by North Buffalo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.