Locker Room Clean-out Day: 4/9/2018

LGR4GM

You don't call out your own teammates in the media.... that's a surefire way to alienate yourself in the locker room.

By taking blame and saying he needs to be better, is a great example. If everybody on the team had that attitude they'd have much better results.

Agreed. Not talking about team issues to the media is being on a team 101.

You don't call out your own teammates in the media.... that's a surefire way to alienate yourself in the locker room.

By taking blame and saying he needs to be better, is a great example. If everybody on the team had that attitude they'd have much better results.

Oh I didn't know the only way he could talk to his teammates was via the media. I thought he worked with them every day. My bad.

The problem is that it can be perceived as a guilt tactic. He is essentially calling out his teammates by needlessly trying to take complete responsibility for the failures of the team.

I have to imagine it rubs some guys the wrong way because even though it may seem genuine it's kinda like "you guys are doing this to me."

Yup.

The problem is that it can be perceived as a guilt tactic. He is essentially calling out his teammates by needlessly trying to take complete responsibility for the failures of the team.

I have to imagine it rubs some guys the wrong way because even though it may seem genuine it's kinda like "you guys are doing this to me."

Sorry, can't see this at all. Every team leader on every team takes the onus and points to the things they can do better. What's the alternative? Calling out your teammates?

They should play for each other.   They should feel guilty when they lose.  They should play hard for ROR because he's their teammate and he hates to lose.

Oh I didn't know the only way he could talk to his teammates was via the media. I thought he worked with them every day. My bad.

Yup.

What?  You just said he should call out his teammates in the media....

Taking all the blame doesn't make you a great leader. Leading makes you a great leader.

If he played a great game and they lose, he shouldn't be all "I need to better " he should be like "player x and y didn't seem to care tonight, we'll work on their effort at practice"

...should he call out his teammates in private locker room discourse?  Yeah, if it's warranted... maybe he has.   Maybe some guys tune him out and just want to collect a paycheck.    Maybe if Housley called guys out, he wouldn't have to.   Maybe if Housley benched some of these clowns once in a blue moon, they'd feel they need to play harder to save their careers.

Edited by pi2000

Here’s another gem from clean out day. This time from Housley.

So much wrong in the locker room.

Housley: "I look at Colorado, there's a group of players there that got together and said, we need to change, we need to do things differently, we need to listen, we need to be coachable. It's a huge commitment to change the direction of this franchise."

We need to be coachable. Now there is a damning statement.

Housley: "I look at Colorado, there's a group of players there that got together and said, we need to change, we need to do things differently, we need to listen, we need to be coachable. It's a huge commitment to change the direction of this franchise."

Helluva quote right there. Goes right in line with what Botterill has been saying

They should play for each other. They should feel guilty when they lose. They should play hard for ROR because he's their teammate and he hates to lose.

What? You just said he should call out his teammates in the media....

...should he call out his teammates in private locker room discourse? Yeah, if it's warranted... maybe he has. Maybe some guys tune him out and just want to collect a paycheck. Maybe his Housley called guys out, he wouldn't have to. Maybe if Housley benched some of these clowns once in a blue moon, they'd feel they need to play harder to save their careers.

Maybe they deserve to be called out in the media. The team finished last. But no, I said he should call out teammate x and y. I didn't actually say "in the media".

Yes, it is Housley's fault. He needs to be better. How do you know he didn't call out players?

Edited by Skurk Liger

So he's officially blaming the players now?   Sounds like a desperate man who's career is on the ropes.

Helluva quote right there. Goes right in line with what Botterill has been saying

It's a reason I think someone like Ristolainen might be traded.

So he's officially blaming the players now? Sounds like a desperate man who's career is on the ropes.

We get it. You like bylsma and hate Housley.

I'd be surprised if Risto was the one not listening

The number of times I saw him go rogue on the system... Idk.

I've been having this thought as well.  He might be a big offender on the not being coachable front.  I have no actual evidence of this, of course...

This has been an issue ever since we bottomed out. Frankly, its been an issue since the Tankfruit showed up. The red flag was taised when the team wouldn’t listen to Bylsma or vets like Gionta, and it is continuing under Housley. They need to ship whoever it is that is leading this as far away as possible. Whoever it is.

True. But it can be cutting on him as well as the players. Housley needs to figure out how to reach the guys that are reachable, while understanding that most guys are followers. If they're following a bad apple, the apple needs to be gone. But if they simply aren't buying into what the kids in Juniors bought into, that's on him. He & Botterill need to figure it out.

One thing in his favor is that Eichel seemed to buy in around Christmas & the light went on for Reinhart around the 1/2 way point. Maybe there's hope he can get the rest to buy in as well.

Maybe they deserve to be called out in the media. The team finished last. But no, I said he should call out teammate x and y. I didn't actually say "in the media".

Yes, it is Housley's fault. He needs to be better. How do you know he didn't call out players?

Yeah, they all need to be called out in the media... and that's the media's job, not ROR's.   

@pham1717

Housley: "Jason and I will have to talk about that, but I don't expect any changes on the coaching staff."

@pham1717

Housley: "I told them to be ready for training camp. It's going to be a hard camp.

@pham1717

Housley said he didn't see O'Reilly lose his passion for the game.

@pham1717

Housley: "We have to evaluate everything. The coaching staff, the players. What are they going to invest in this summer to change."

True. But it can be cutting on him as well as the players. Housley needs to figure out how to reach the guys that are reachable, while understanding that most guys are followers. If they're following a bad apple, the apple needs to be gone. But if they simply aren't buying into what the kids in Juniors bought into, that's on him. He & Botterill need to figure it out.

One thing in his favor is that Eichel seemed to buy in around Christmas & the light went on for Reinhart around the 1/2 way point. Maybe there's hope he can get the rest to buy in as well.

I agree. Housley is on a short leash for me because he needs to figure this out.

I'll believe the culture among the players has changed when I see them skate their ###### off to the bench for line changes, every single time. The way good teams do. The way we lollygag is disgusting

Eichel

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.