No surprise but Antipin is done for the year

Brawndo

Don't have all the facts or don't have any facts? What is the basis for guessing here? His face hit the glass then the ice. When did his teeth get damaged?

Was that quote even real? I didn't really Randall's reference, and it might have been a joke.

Thank you for sussing this out...I was wondering why I hadn’t seen it anywhere.

Really?

I was lead to believe that twitter was the new fangled 'Sunday Papers' and *they wouldn't print it if it were untrue* ...  :flirt:

Big fat bonus to anyone that knows the reference.

You can give the bonus to the next guy. Still can't believe she's really going out w/ him. ;)

Don't have all the facts or don't have any facts? What is the basis for guessing here? His face hit the glass then the ice. When did his teeth get damaged?

Video is facts. It was my evaluation of what I saw. No more than that. I’m pretty sure I didn’t commit a faux paux by forming an opinion based on what I saw and commenting on it.

Really, I can’t believe this is an issue for you of all people.

Looked between the shoulder blades to me. 

What made it greasy was the puck was gone.  There was no need to finish that hit.  That's an aggressive play made for aggression's sake.  The league needs to get to a point where the players know they need to peel off from those plays.

This.

Never saw it.

What?

Not acceptable.  It is part of the canon.

Probably in the minority, and yes it was a dirty hit, but Antipin needs to do a better job to protect himself there. If he keeps skating and doesn't turn his back to the play it's probably not even a penalty.

Even if Antipin made a mistake and I don't think he did, but he (and every player) needs to feel comfortable out there that he will not be smashed into the boards, or whatever.

He was seriously hurt and it could have been (maybe it still will be) much worse.  

Antipin got run by one of the biggest and dirtiest runners in the league.  We can't and shouldn't be blaming the victim.

Even if Antipin made a mistake and I don't think he did, but he (and every player) needs to feel comfortable out there that he will not be smashed into the boards, or whatever.

He was seriously hurt and it could have been (maybe it still will be) much worse.

Antipin got run by one of the biggest and dirtiest runners in the league. We can't and shouldn't be blaming the victim.

I respectfully disagree. He put himself in a bad position by turning his back to F1. Sure, Hartnell should've laid off, but that play happens a dozen or more times a game and guys aren't stretchered off every time.

No DPS hearing is a joke. The Preds scratched him tonight against Tampa though. So at least a little bit is right in the world.

Any word on why he was scratched?

Video is facts. It was my evaluation of what I saw. No more than that. I’m pretty sure I didn’t commit a faux paux by forming an opinion based on what I saw and commenting on it.

Really, I can’t believe this is an issue for you of all people.

I never pulled my opinion about Terry out of thin air. He has said and done things that I've interpreted as boneheadedness. Maybe I'm missing something here. What do you see on the video to support the idea that Antipin's injuries were caused by the ice and not the glass?

(Yeah, it doesn't matter. It's just an interesting exercise. This happens on every single controversial hit. People see different things. Taro sees Lucic elbowing Miller, for example.)

Edited by PASabreFan

I didn’t see any explanation on Twitter, but I’ll dig. My guess: set aside the fact that it was dirty, it was also just a bonehead play from a team perspective. For a marginal player (which Hartnell is at this point) to singlehandedly swing a game... yeah, that would get your ass benched if I was a coach.

I never pulled my opinion about Terry out of thin air. He has said and done things that I've interpreted as boneheadedness. Maybe I'm missing something here. What do you see on the video to support the idea that Antipin's injuries were caused by the ice and not the glass?

(Yeah, it doesn't matter. It's just an interesting exercise. This happens on every single controversial hit. People see different things. Taro sees Lucic elbowing Miller, for example.)

I guess I don't see that video as requiring nearly as much interpretation as anything Terry has said.  Antipin is looking back at the puck when he is hit.  His face is not straight on to the glass, because he is looking back at the puck. It looks to me like the side of his face took the brunt of the impact with the glass, whereas when he fell to the ice, he hit face down and his head clearly bounced and he had a second impact of face on ice.  Given that the glass hit wasn't face on and the boards/glass do have a bit of give, and the hit on the ice was definitely face down and the ice has no give, I would expect that the worst of the damage came from the ice impact and not the glass impact.  I would also expect that the force of an uncontrolled 6' fall to the ice (distance from head to ice) was a higher energy hit that the one Hartnell dished out.

I'm going to go out on a limb here.  I'm guessing that your distaste (for lack of a better word) with the thought that the ice did the most of the damage and not the glass means that maybe Hartnell is less responsible for the outcome because he couldn't have controlled what happened after glass/boards impact.  And I would wholeheartedly disagree with that.  Whether Antipin lost his balance, lost his footing, or lost consciousness and subsequently fell face first to the ice as a result of the hit doesn't matter.  At the end of the day, Hartnell pursued a hit after the puck was gone that resulted in a player in a vulnerable, dangerous situation, and Hartnell should be held fully responsible for it.

Edited by We've

I guess I don't see that video as requiring nearly as much interpretation as anything Terry has said.  Antipin is looking back at the puck when he is hit.  His face is not straight on to the glass, because he is looking back at the puck. It looks to me like the side of his face took the brunt of the impact with the glass, whereas when he fell to the ice, he hit face down and his head clearly bounced and he had a second impact of face on ice.  Given that the glass hit wasn't face on and the boards/glass do have a bit of give, and the hit on the ice was definitely face down and the ice has no give, I would expect that the worst of the damage came from the ice impact and not the glass impact.  I would also expect that the force of an uncontrolled 6' fall to the ice (distance from head to ice) was a higher energy hit that the one Hartnell dished out.

I'm going to go out on a limb here.  I'm guessing that your distaste (for lack of a better word) with the thought that the ice did the most of the damage and not the glass means that maybe Hartnell is less responsible for the outcome because he couldn't have controlled what happened after glass/boards impact.  And I would wholeheartedly disagree with that.  Whether Antipin lost his balance, lost his footing, or lost consciousness and subsequently fell face first to the ice as a result of the hit doesn't matter.  At the end of the day, Hartnell pursued a hit after the puck was gone that resulted in a player in a vulnerable, dangerous situation, and Hartnell should be held fully responsible for it.

Yeah, if I run someone off the road he hits a tree and is seriously injured it's the tree that caused the injury right? Sounds ok to me.(note sarcasm please)

I didn’t see any explanation on Twitter, but I’ll dig. My guess: set aside the fact that it was dirty, it was also just a bonehead play from a team perspective. For a marginal player (which Hartnell is at this point) to singlehandedly swing a game... yeah, that would get your ass benched if I was a coach.

He's often a healthy scratch, no?

Haven't rewatched that Lucic hit in at least 3 years, probably more like 5. (Haven't rewatched the Neil - Drury hit in at least that long either.) If it wasn't an elbow, so be it. Not about to rewatch it again at this point to decide whether it was or wasn't. The rest of my comment stands.

But have fun continuing to ponder imponderables. Hope you had a good Easter.

Thanks. Interesting analysis.

There's no such distaste. I just found the topic interesting. I'm sure I'm the only one.

Obviously none of you have been badly injured before.  Let me tell you, it sucks.

You NEVER completely heal.  You can be in pain FOREVER.  Whiplash and

concussions can cause permanent BRAIN DAMAGE.  It sucks even more for

the average joe who doesn't have a million dollar salary. Still, this needs to

stop.

Hartnell is such a dirty player.  Kaleta got run out of town.  Why not Hartnell too?

These useless goons need to get out of the game.  (At least Kaleta was actually

a useful player who very rarely made a stupid play that got the strictest enforcement

possible because, well, Buffalo.  We could use another super-fast, tough, 4th

liner who can kill penalties and actually score some goals. Kaleta was a TEAM

player who gave it all.  We need those kinds of players on the Sabres _again_.)

Obviously none of you have been badly injured before.  Let me tell you, it sucks.

You NEVER completely heal.  You can be in pain FOREVER.  Whiplash and

concussions can cause permanent BRAIN DAMAGE.  It sucks even more for

the average joe who doesn't have a million dollar salary. Still, this needs to

stop.

Hartnell is such a dirty player.  Kaleta got run out of town.  Why not Hartnell too?

These useless goons need to get out of the game.  (At least Kaleta was actually

a useful player who very rarely made a stupid play that got the strictest enforcement

possible because, well, Buffalo.  We could use another super-fast, tough, 4th

liner who can kill penalties and actually score some goals. Kaleta was a TEAM

player who gave it all.  We need those kinds of players on the Sabres _again_.)

There's a lot to unpack here. None of it good, with the exception of pointing out that Hartnell is dirty. Which we all know already.

Going a bit into left field, Call me a softy if you want. Call me a wimp if you want. But

these hits like Chara on Pacioretty, Lucic on Miller, Hartnell on Antipin, they make me

sick to my stomach.  I can handle playing hard, playing strong. I can even handle a

little wrestling/fighting. But this stuff is plain wrong.  I heard the Instigators talking about

how a serious hockey player would go out and try to injure Austin Mathews.  Those

bums should be off the radio. 

Y'all give your opinions. Some of you do it quite frankly. So, here I go with the reasons

for my opinions.

It's not that it just that goons bother me, it's that it bothers God's Spirit in me.  There I go into

left field.  But, my stomach turns, and God's Spirit churns when it sees mindless violence.

So, it's not just my opinion.  I can speak somewhat authoritatively that God doesn't

like goons and thugs.  King David had his mighty men of valor; ninja like soldiers who

lived by a code of ethics.  I'm sure Andrew Peters has never heard of such a thing

as he's seen on camera getting into a fracas with youth players while still on the bench.

There's a lot to unpack here. None of it good, with the exception of pointing out that Hartnell is dirty. Which we all know already.

Sorry.  My mind goes into many directions and weaves it all together into a nice basket case. :P

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.