No surprise but Antipin is done for the year

Brawndo

I think this board has done a fair amount of projection with Antipin and cut him more slack than other players. He’s been worse than McCabe in a bad season and definitely behind Nelson in terms of poise and Guhle in terms of skill. Beaulieu for all his mental issues has better tools.

He’s not strong and he’s not as fast as those choppy strides make him look.

I like his attitude and his stick skills and think he has untapped upside on the offensive blueline.

I hope they resign him and he takes a jump in year two after shaking off the culture shock.

But he should have been in Rochester this year.

Beaulieu gets an unfair crack on here because a very prominent and mostly respectable (but I still can't believe what he does with animals) poster loathes him.  And Antipin is more advanced than both Nelson and Guhle.  Geez.  His only crime is that he isn't exactly the biggest D-man out there.  He's fine as a starter on probably 26 out of 31 NHL teams.

Beaulieu gets an unfair crack on here because a very prominent and mostly respectable (but I still can't believe what he does with animals) poster loathes him.  And Antipin is more advanced than both Nelson and Guhle.  Geez.  His only crime is that he isn't exactly the biggest D-man out there.  He's fine as a starter on probably 26 out of 31 NHL teams.

There has to be a valid reason for Housley to sit him as often as he does.  I just can't figure out what that reason is.

Antipin might be more advanced than Guhle, but not by much and he’s 5 years older.

He’s an offensive defensive who doesn’t create much offence.

Nelson defends the rush better, joins the rush better, clears the zone better, moves the puck better and is just as good defending our net and playing the point. I was highly skeptical, but he’s won me over.

I like Antipin, but I think communication problems have led him to make too many wrong decisions.

Phil doesn’t trust him to play the system.

Edited by dudacek

You'd rather have Falk and/or Nelson than Antipin?

I'd rather have Nelson but I think Nelson is going to test the market and sign elsewhere, would prefer to have him back but I don't see it happening.

Falk and Antipin are different types of defenders and I think Falk will hang around if nothing much changes. Antipin has been a disappointment and if he doesn't resign/isn't tendered I won't really mind.

It is my hope that Nelson’s reasons for choosing Buffalo initially still apply, and that - despite his progress -he’s still not done enough to earn a more significant offer on the open market than he’s going to get here.

More pertinent perhaps, there is a good chance that he feels he has carved a role for himself here that he likes under a coach he likes and that will be more attractive than jumping ship for a more uncertain role.

I’m betting he signs a one-way deal here.

Edited by dudacek

Can someone explain why they think Nelson is in line for some great FA contract? What exactly has be proved to get more then a one year NHL minimum deal?

He has 12 pts in 51 nhl games. 8 in 33 this season. If Buffalo does want him back, why would he go elsewhere when he knows he has Housley’s trust and our D group sucks giving him ample opportunity to prove himself.

If I were in his shoes, i’d a take a one year deal here, and then go earn a long-term deal.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Nelson has some leverage as a 25 year old UFA right defenceman.

But I don’t think he is line for any big contract.

I think he’ll probably sign with the first team to offer a two-year one-way deal no matter the wage.

Edited by dudacek

Harrington has written about how steamed Botterill and Housley are. The outcome was terrible, but it wasn't the crime of the century. Harrington called it "assault." That's funny. I watched it one more time. Antipin pivots, makes the reverse play, straightens up, relaxes and admires his pass. He has to be smarter in this league. I don't know how the KHL is.

Edited by PASabreFan

Harrington has written about how steamed Botterill and Housley are. The outcome was terrible, but it wasn't the crime of the century. Harrington called it "assault." That's funny. I watched it one more time. Antipin pivots, makes the reverse play, straightens up, relaxes and admires his pass. He has to be smarter in this league. I don't know how the KHL is.

Exactly how Drury got hurt by Neal...admiring a shot... then got cheapshotted. cant do that.... even if a goon is not on the ice its likely to happen.

It doesn’t mattter what Antipin did. The puck was gone and the play was going the other way. The hit was completely unnecessary and his own coach called it a stupid play.

Just because the NHL demeed it a “legal” play it’s the type of play the is inherently dangerous and if the league was serious about the health of it’s players Hartnell would have been suspended.

It doesn’t mattter what Antipin did. The puck was gone and the play was going the other way. The hit was completely unnecessary and his own coach called it a stupid play.

Just because the NHL demeed it a “legal” play it’s the type of play the is inherently dangerous and if the league was serious about the health of it’s players Hartnell would have been suspended.

I keep hearing about comments Laviolette made, but I have yet to find one online. Can you help?

I don't think the league deemed it a legal play.

Edited by PASabreFan

I keep hearing about comments Laviolette made, but I have yet to find one online. Can you help?

I don't think the league deemed it a legal play.

Definitely not.  It was a major and a game misconduct, no?

I still think there should have been a phone hearing, even if that resulted in no discipline.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.