Rumor Draft Lottery with be April 28th

Brawndo

The later draw has been the recent trend. I don't like it- let me down early, then give me more time to speculate!!

We lost the '14 lottery on 4/15

McEichel lottery in '15 was 4/18

TO's tank was rewarded on 4/30

Last year's crazy lottery was 4/29

To announce the winner they should have Dahlin standing behind a curtain wearing the winning team's jersey.    They lift the curtain in front of an audience of GMs while the winning team's goal song plays in the background with ice girls dancing on stage, balloons and confetti flying.   Hosted by Oprah.    

To announce the winner they should have Dahlin standing behind a curtain wearing the winning team's jersey. They lift the curtain in front of an audience of GMs while the winning team's goal song plays in the background with ice girls dancing on stage, balloons and confetti flying. Hosted by Oprah.

Better Oprah than Steve Harvey.

I would immediately become a fan of any team that sent their mascot to represent them.

12.5% this year if standings hold

7.6% last year

6.0% in 2016

20.0% in 2015

25.0% in 2014

3.6% in 2013

Chances of getting 6 consecutive #1 picks assuming same standings: 0.00000103% :P

So basically, if we miss out this year we have failed on the odds of 75% (pretty much)

If you ever wanna dissuade a team from tanking, screw the lottery and implement relegation

Someone brought up the notion that the NHL should follow the EPL with the 3 lowest teams relegated to the AHL and the 3 top AHL coming up to the NHL.

I think that would be awesome, but it would never fly.

Someone brought up the notion that the NHL should follow the EPL with the 3 lowest teams relegated to the AHL and the 3 top AHL coming up to the NHL.

It also doesn't really work, as they are affiliated with NHL teams, so suddenly the Rochester Americans roster has Eichel and Reinhart on it and plays in the NHL

It wouldn't work because the AHL is the NHL's minor league. What happens when the Marlies get promoted and have to play Toronto? Would the GM's even let their teams take the ice? How would the league handle players getting sent down and called up? You couldn't do the way it stands with many of the players in the AHL being the property of an NHL team.

It also doesn't really work, as they are affiliated with NHL teams, so suddenly the Rochester Americans roster has Eichel and Reinhart on it and plays in the NHL

Agreed. I love the relegation idea, but there's really no way of implementing it outside of cutting 10 teams off the league and creating a B league like the EPL has. It's also worth noting that those teams that are relegated in EPL usually stay there

Yeah.  There would have to be a provision that the affiliate of a relegated club could not come up.

It wouldn't work because the AHL is the NHL's minor league. What happens when the Marlies get promoted and have to play Toronto? Would the GM's even let their teams take the ice? How would the league handle players getting sent down and called up? You couldn't do the way it stands with many of the players in the AHL being the property of an NHL team.

Yup.

Agreed. I love the relegation idea, but there's really no way of implementing it outside of cutting 10 teams off the league and creating a B league like the EPL has. It's also worth noting that those teams that are relegated in EPL usually stay there

And, yup.

But a guy can dream, eh?

Yeah.  There would have to be a provision that the affiliate of a relegated club could not come up.

Yup.

And, yup.

But a guy can dream, eh?

As a side note, with hockey being so miserable lately and my buddy moving here (he's a huge soccer fan), I've gotten really into soccer lately. Bought some tickets to NYC to see NYCFC and the Subway Series, and have just started a ton more Champions League, MLS, and EPL games. Fun stuff

Instead of two equal conferences, a first and second division of 16 teams each with an interlocking schedule.

And Oprah. Lots of Oprah.

That's a really interesting idea for the regular season. Still play every team in the other conference twice.

I'm not sure how you'd get 4 rounds of playoffs though, so it's a non-starter losing out on the revenue. I guess you could play the two conferences against each other at the end, but 1-8 match-ups aren't always that great. I'm trying to figure some solution where you'd take the losers from the first round and play them against the opposite conference winners, I guess. That doesn't fix the issue where the 8 teams in the premier league that don't make the playoffs are out, but the top 8 in the B-league are in.

It's rigged, and I already have the script written for exactly why it's rigged for every possible scenario of different teams winning, and nothing anyone says can convince me otherwise. 

I have nothing but bad memories of this thing so I'll probably sit it out.

giphy.gif

So basically, if we miss out this year we have failed on the odds of 75% (pretty much)

Actually, the probability of getting at least one #1 pick in those 6 years was/is 56% (=1-Product(1-Probability(#1))).  The average number of #1's that we would get by playing those lotteries over and over again would be about 0.75.

In fact, we had about exactly a coin flip's chance of getting at least one #1 during the previous 5 lotteries.  The average number would have been 0.62.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.