KeyBank Center improvement chatter

PASabreFan

The rink where i grew up watching hockey was built in 1938, the only substantial renovations have been done in the last 20 years. It does have a lot of character and the low roof adds to the atmosphere. Plexi glass was installed for the first time in 2011.

Compared to Fife ice Arena the Keybank center will be like a palace :)

The rink where i grew up watching hockey was built in 1938, the only substantial renovations have been done in the last 20 years. It does have a lot of character and the low roof adds to the atmosphere. Plexi glass was installed for the first time in 2011.

Compared to Fife ice Arena the Keybank center will be like a palace :)

I feel like i've asked you this before but I can't remember the answer, have you been to Buffalo for a game before? And do you have plans to?

I feel like i've asked you this before but I can't remember the answer, have you been to Buffalo for a game before? And do you have plans to?

Not yet, seen us in New Jersey last season but a visit to WNY is top of my bucket list by a long way.

I really only have 1 issue with KBC. No restrooms in the atrium. Was there for the Genesis concert years ago. Place was packed waiting for them to let us into the arena and everyone was crossing our legs. We like to sit up top in the last row. We have a shelf behind us to put coats, drinks and what not and can see everything.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm maybe slightly more than a casual fan...slightly more.  I watch most of the Sabres games on TV, and probably go to a couple games a year.  

I think the Arena downtown is fine for the hardcore fans...or fans that are more into hockey than I am.  Personally, I'm not a big fan of it.

Over the last decade, I have seen almost as many Sabres games in visiting arenas than I have in Buffalo. I lived outside of Buffalo for a while before moving back (Boston area and in Florida) plus have caught a couple of games in other Arenas when in the are for conferences.  

I go almost as much to see the Arena and the area they are in as I do for the game.  I'm not advocating the Sabres build a new $400 million dollar arena, but many of the other place around the league are nice, REALLY nice.  Even in Columbus, the arena there is only a little nicer than the KBC downtown, but it is fun to walk around the area near the arena..it is filled with restaurants and bars and is just a little 'busier' than it is in Buffalo. Its a little more modern and inviting.

The arena sure needs upgrades for the current Sabres ticket holders. I'd start with the seats and go from there. As a casual fan, I just long for a nicer, newer Arena that is actually fun to walk around before a game, in an area of the city that has a lot to do for blocks and blocks.  Canalside is nice and the Cobblestone district has some decent places in it though...so that is at least a LOT better than we had a few decades ago.

• 6 months later...
On 3/2/2018 at 3:31 PM, pi2000 said:

I frequent Staples Center and the Honda Center.     Last time I was at KBC was 2 years ago.

1 - KBC is dark.   Dark hallways, dark arena, dark concourses.     

4 - KBC hallways/concourses are too narrow.

I think they could add in some windows in the concourses. Even though i'm up above ground it feels like a dungeon walking the concourses. 

Looking out at the lake or over the city wouldn't be a bad thing between periods. Rochester has some glass to look out over the river/city and it's cool.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Ross Rhea said:

I think they could add in some windows in the concourses. Even though i'm up above ground it feels like a dungeon walking the concourses. 

Looking out at the lake or over the city wouldn't be a bad thing between periods. Rochester has some glass to look out over the river/city and it's cool.

The finest feature of BlueCross Arena right there. I like looking at the river between periods. 

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, spndnchz said:

Got a survey about possible renovations to KBC. Invited to be in one of their discussion groups. No date set, they’ll ‘let you know when’.

Ditto - the questions in the survey seemed to be concerned a lot about how much I would be willing to pay for season seats in certain areas (boxes, club level, etc.) and concession prices.  This year is the first time I've been to a Sabres game for quite a while, so I don't know why I got the survey.  My first choice in renovating the KBC is to jack up the entire building, replace the hockey team with one that actually wins, and then lower it back down again.  Everything else is window dressing.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Sabre Dance said:

Ditto - the questions in the survey seemed to be concerned a lot about how much I would be willing to pay for season seats in certain areas (boxes, club level, etc.) and concession prices.  This year is the first time I've been to a Sabres game for quite a while, so I don't know why I got the survey.  My first choice in renovating the KBC is to jack up the entire building, replace the hockey team with one that actually wins, and then lower it back down again.  Everything else is window dressing.

Didn't get any q's about concession pricing, but didn't have them high on the priority list.

But based on the survey, any renovations will be expected to be paid for in higher prices rather than increased facility utilization.

On 3/2/2018 at 10:53 AM, josie said:

It's a frickin' hockey arena. It's supposed to be cold. It's downright toasty compared to going to your local rink to watch beer league or kids play. You don't go to a hockey game to hang out in your shorts and tank tops. 

Went to game in vegas. It was 90 outside and i couldnt figure out why so many people were bundled up like it was winter. When i got in the arena with my shorts and tank top i understood 

5 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Almost all of the questions I was asked focused on whether or not I would pay $X for season tickets in different seating areas.  That's not a survey inquiring about my amenity preferences, that's market research.

Sounds like they want to raise praises but are afraid to do so after the waiting list for season tickets vanished like a fart in the wind so they are testing the waters with surveys.

KBC is owned by Erie County, and by being the major lessee, PSE may be probing the ability to improve the facility using little to no public funds.  To do that, they would want to know how much money they can gather in the following years from the improvement.

It'd be like if you wanted to take out a mortgage to improve your house, but you don't own/have any equity in your house, you rent it like an apartment.  No one would give you that loan, unless you could give serious collateral and prove how you were going to pay for it.

That kind of research will tell PSE whether they havw $5M/$10M/$50M to play with for improvements.

55 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Almost all of the questions I was asked focused on whether or not I would pay $X for season tickets in different seating areas.  That's not a survey inquiring about my amenity preferences, that's market research.

Yep.

Would also be curious to find out if anybody/ how many of the people "randomly" selected for the focus group didn't get asked questions about suite &/or concession pricing.  Didn't get asked about either & didn't get asked to participate in the focus group.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.