GDT Sabres at Capitals 2/24/18 7 PM MSG, GR

Brawndo

They do.

Yes, in general , they do. They also owe it to fans to build the best team and to protect their assets. If you're not keeping Kane then you need to get the best deal you can for him. Serious injury could hurt this especially for meaningless games. Are the Rangers wrong for holding out Nash? Not in my mind their not.

If he plays another game gets serious injury I'll be very interested to see reaction on here.

Oh, there will be plenty of negative reaction, but not by me.  We should always be icing our best team possible.

Meh. I'm not that invested in what Kane brings back. Dollars to donuts, it's going to be one of the more worthless transactions in recent memory. I hope to be wrong.

I tend to agree.  Besides, we're watching hockey, not a fantasy league.  I long ofr the days when this fanbase was more concerned about wins than they are about return on assets.  I loathe Darcy for putting that mindset into conversation.  It was the mindset of a penny pinching organization.

This fanbase

Oh, there will be plenty of negative reaction, but not by me.  We should always be icing our best team possible.

I tend to agree.  Besides, we're watching hockey, not a fantasy league.  I long ofr the days when this fanbase was more concerned about wins than they are about return on assets.  I loathe Darcy for putting that mindset into conversation.  It was the mindset of a penny pinching organization.

This fanbase

Can't disagree here but going on assumption team doesn't feel they can sign Kane or Kane doesn't want to sign then get what you can. Also have long believed he won't fetch what a lot on here think but get the most you can. We've lost with him and we'll lose when he's gone.

Can't disagree here but going on assumption team doesn't feel they can sign Kane or Kane doesn't want to sign then get what you can. Also have long believed he won't fetch what a lot on here think but get the most you can. We've lost with him and we'll lose when he's gone.

I guess I don't care.  Ice the best team possible, every game.  It isn't only Sabres fans that are affected by icing less than the best team possible.  Other fans around the league pay alot of money to watch these games as well.  They don't want to see a Sabres team at it's less than best any more than I want to see a Tampa Bay team at anything less than it's best.  IMO the Sabres have an almost fiduciary responsibility to fans league wide to ice the best team they can. I've been pretty consistent on this.  It was my basic reasoning for disapproving the tank as well.

I've got to disagree, We've.  The trade deadline is a very binary thing.  If he's healthy, they get something that could potentially help the win when it actually matters (i.e., still in the hunt for the Cup) for years to come; if he's injured, they get nothing.  Winning these two games, while nice for the fans in attendance can't (at this point) help accomplish any more than the win, itself. 

Besides, what's the real affect of sitting Kane vs. not?  There's a very good chance that they lose both with him and also a small chance that they win both without him.  Really, you're talking about cases where they would have won with him, but don't without him.  Plus, there is actually a chance that we would lose with him and actually win without him.  For the playoffs, that incremental (expected) net gain is worth a lot.  But when you're already out of the playoffs ...

I guess my decision would depend on what's on the table.  If there's a couple of very solid offers that you're working on, then he sits.  If all you've got is tire kicking or offers of a second and/or mediocre prospect, then he'd probably play.

Oh, there will be plenty of negative reaction, but not by me. We should always be icing our best team possible.

I tend to agree. Besides, we're watching hockey, not a fantasy league. I long ofr the days when this fanbase was more concerned about wins than they are about return on assets. I loathe Darcy for putting that mindset into conversation. It was the mindset of a penny pinching organization.

This fanbase

I long for the days where standard operating procedure wouldn't be somehow tied to the tank. Bad teams trading expiring contracts for future assets at the deadline is a practice so old it may predate the creation of the universe. Why is there a need to use this to make sweeping generalizations about a fan base being transformed by Darcy's final acts? What we're talking about now has nothing to do with the tank, or having a loser mentality brought on by the decision to tank. It's how things have always worked.

At least there’s a game to watch.

For all those who like to play hypothesis hoopla.

Kane plans on being in Buffalo next season. They agreed to trade him if something came up. If he’s injured or not traded they will sign him this season. If he’s traded he’ll come back for an “agreed upon” contract next season. It might even be one of those we will pay you X, if you can get substantially higher take it or allow us to match it. This has happened before.

Just some fun thinking.

I long for the days where standard operating procedure wouldn't be somehow tied to the tank. Bad teams trading expiring contracts for future assets at the deadline is a practice so old it may predate the creation of the universe. Why is there a need to use this to make sweeping generalizations about a fan base being transformed by Darcy's final acts? What we're talking about now has nothing to do with the tank, or having a loser mentality brought on by the decision to tank. It's how things have always worked.

Yeah, that would be that slight bit of disappointment that crept in when they won in overtime last game.  Straight-up tank-based loser mentality.  Trying to kick it, but when they are officially eliminated, it's easy to slip back.

Trading expiring contracts at the deadline when your record isn't very good?  G.M. S.O.P. 

This board was never so consumed about returns on pending FA's prior to the dismanteling of the franchise.  It is a result of the lead up to, and the tank itself.

This fanbase

Darcy was complicit, but I blame OSP.

I’m talking about sitting the guy, not trading him. WTF posts are you all reading?

Let's see if a trade is announced in the next 24 hours.  If it is, then the best call is absolutely to scratch him.  If a trade is in place (but not yet announced), you don't put any risk on the asset you hope to trade.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.