Another curious comment by Robin Lehner

PASabreFan

The first of course was his tin-foil comment on Toronto predetermining outcomes that go against Buffalo.

This one came after the Kings game. Harrington asked who had a greater voice during the second intermission, the players or the coach.

"If you fight your whole life to get to this level, you'll get to see it. But you guys do not."

Uh, OK. I know he's a goalie and all.

Still... there's something off about this guy.

I like it.

He and the rest of the players can't be happy.  The coaches and JBOT can't be happy.  The owner ..........

Harrington and other reporters should just keep quite.  What a stupid question and I love the way Lehner answered it.  A bit of snark is great.

There's no way I could know but I can imagine Lehner being Ryan Leaf nuts in the locker room.  I think it's possible he's somewhat unapproachable and maybe difficult to coach in terms of telling him what he's doing wrong and needs to work on.  Again, not saying he is but can imagine him being an intimidating guy - not great for a locker room/coaching.

I think the comment was more of a “what is said in the room stays in the room”.

He’s not gonna call anyone out, good or bad. Maybe he’s more of a team player than we thought?

He could have said that lol. To me, there was more there. It was a jab at the media, who don't have the right to ask the question because they never played (although those guys have worked hard to get to an elite level in their field too). It also sounded a bit defensive given his recent poor play, like he was trying to remind himself what he's accomplished.

He could have said that lol. To me, there was more there. It was a jab at the media, who don't have the right to ask the question because they never played (although those guys have worked hard to get to an elite level in their field too). It also sounded a bit defensive given his recent poor play, like he was trying to remind himself what he's accomplished.

Or Harrington is a condescending jerk and Lehner thought better than to beat Harrington with his recorder and gave that answer insted.

But most likely the whole episode is sprinkled with all those flavors of human nature. So we get a great quote.

Edited by skogslopp

• 6 months later...

... Lehner said he sharpens his skates once  a year 

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/24465718/nhl-oddities-absurdities-outfitting-goalie-10000-dollars-well-spent

"I have no edge at all," says the Isles' new free-agent acquisition (Robin Lehner). "You couldn't cut yourself on them."

Edited by LGR4GM

43 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What in the world. 

I understand not needing them to be super sharp or anything, I'm a big guy too and I like to shuffle. You wouldn't get me doing 3/8" on mine. But modern skates are meant to be sharp for those heel and toe pushes. You want that part of the blade to bite so you aren't wasting energy on the motions you make a hundred times a game. 

If the middles of my blades are too sharp I just stand at the bench door and run em up and down the plastic edge a bit. That usually takes some of the edge off and then my heels and toes are still sharp for pushing. 

Not to mention those edges get pretty banged up kicking posts. Just hitting em with a f*ckin stone isn't enough. That's beer league sh*t. 

11 hours ago, darksabre said:

What in the world. 

I understand not needing them to be super sharp or anything, I'm a big guy too and I like to shuffle. You wouldn't get me doing 3/8" on mine. But modern skates are meant to be sharp for those heel and toe pushes. You want that part of the blade to bite so you aren't wasting energy on the motions you make a hundred times a game. 

If the middles of my blades are too sharp I just stand at the bench door and run em up and down the plastic edge a bit. That usually takes some of the edge off and then my heels and toes are still sharp for pushing. 

Not to mention those edges get pretty banged up kicking posts. Just hitting em with a f*ckin stone isn't enough. That's beer league sh*t. 

So, if his skates aren't sharp and he still manages to push his way out of position all the time what do you think would happen if he put an edge on them?  He might shoot through the side boards...  

He's clearly just a beast and doesn't need edges, perhaps his claws provide enough traction?

2 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Kris Baker had a good point: how in the world does a goalie coach not correct this? 

To be fair, I don't think it's something a goalie coach would mess with. If the guy doesn't like sharpening his skates there's really nothing you can do about it. 

Goalies man. Goalies. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.