Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

6 hours ago, Hoss said:

Yes. That would be crazy to say. Good thing nobody I’ve seen has even come to close to saying that.

Nobody has the ability to watch live and say this. Nobody.

Also, this only works as a defense if you’re willing to accept a QB who can’t make tough throws or “throw his guys open.” Allen may someday be able to do this but if what you’re saying turns out to be true that there was never an open receiver then it’s still not a good look.

It wasn't live. In every replay they showed, nobody was open.?

And even when Josh "threw his guy open" (which is just a euphemism for throwing to a covered receiver who the QB has faith in being good enough to come down with the ball, anyway), that guy dropped it. They are terrible.

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

It wasn't live. In every replay they showed, nobody was open.?

And even when Josh "threw his guy open" (which is just a euphemism for throwing to a covered receiver who the QB has faith in being good enough to come down with the ball, anyway), that guy dropped it. They are terrible.

There is a thread on TBD asking if we just cut all our current WR and replaced them regularly with street FA would anyone notice. Most replied they wouldn't notice a difference.  I think they would be a significant improvement.

• Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, inkman said:

There is a thread on TBD asking if we just cut all our current WR and replaced them regularly with street FA would anyone notice. Most replied they wouldn't notice a difference.  I think they would be a significant improvement.

I am also legit serious when I say I think there are absolutely street free agents that could be better than this group within a couple weeks. I even think TO could do better than Benjamin right now.

When Earl Thomas signed his four year forty million dollar deal Seattle made him the highest paid safety in the league. The Seahawks decided not to sign him to a long term deal at thirty years old with recent injury issues and again make him the highest paid safety in the league. Understandable. They were activiely trying to trade him. Thomas is under contract, Bell is not, different situation. The Seahawks owe him nothing. 

19 minutes ago, inkman said:

Jeremy Maclin and Rishard Mathews would be a 1000% upgrade over any of the jackwads the Bills have playing WR currently. 

Matthews should’ve already been working out for this team. That one is obvious. Not sure if he has interest.

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Mahomes was so fun to watch tonight. That left-handed pass was ridiculous. Those WRs, TE, and RB are insanely good. 

For me, "fun" is not how I would describe watching Mahomes. He's just another very painful reminder that McDermott/Beane have no idea what they're doing when it comes to evaluating offense: offensive line, wide receivers, offensive coordinator, but especially QB. For those who forgot, Mahomes fell into our lap during the 2017 draft at #10.

Edited by FuhrUrsinne

3 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Mahomes was so fun to watch tonight. That left-handed pass was ridiculous. Those WRs, TE, and RB are insanely good. 

I'm not a big fan of running QB's. But I don't think he's a running QB, he just has some sick sense of what's going on right after the snap........... and he's been groomed to not trust his line. Could be the way new QB's are going, who knows. Makes sense since it takes some real GM talent to build a pocket O-Line nowadays. You're not going to find a team that has lines like Drew Bledsoe was used to. He could step back and take 4-5 seconds to make a decision. But a running QB will get hurt a lot.

A guy like him who can tear out of the pocket instantaneously and still make the right choices, has the potential to be an superstar. 

I think I heard them say he set an NFL record for most yards out of the pocket in a game. 

58 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Once again: Without a proper offensive mind in the mix, Mahomes would’ve been wasted here. It’s for that reason that I feel no need to get into a coulda shoulda with Mahomes. Buffalo was not capable of doing what KC has done with him.

Some guys have the talent and mind to transcend their situation. I don’t know if Mahomes is one of those. I also don’t know if Allen is.

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

Some guys have the talent and mind to transcend their situation. I don’t know if Mahomes is one of those. I also don’t know if Allen is.

At the quarterback position in the NFL, I'm not convinced that's true. So much of what the QB does is about technique, scheme, and preparation (and, yes, talent around you (that's a whole 'nother issue)).

In other news, I continue to watch and monitor whether Beane and McDermott unduly value their philosophical need for process-based buy-in and aptitude from their players ("we're all in this together, men!") over their players' essential talent, skill, and utility on the field. It's a bit of a tweak on the age-old: Acquire players for character or pure talent? But there's something unique about the way Beane and McDermott are going about it. 

There's no other explanation for Andre Holmes being on the team, let alone getting time with the 1s on offence.

His decision making was questionable in college. It was never going to magically change over night. The fact the line doesn't give him time compounds the issue. The fact that Beane and McDermott didn't fix the offensive line is one of the biggest failures. If they address defense more next year and don't significantly improve the line (4 new players) then it is clear they don't get it. The NFL is a passing league now with QB's getting 350 yrds or more weekly. 300yrds is the new 200yrds. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

What is it with that guy. Is it because he's a Cowboy that he just seems to get more love/respect than is warranted?

I think that's a lot of it. The other thing is he had a crazy rookie year and is a good story; people in the NFL do that so much, where they have a guy that has one good season and just label him as great for the next 5 seasons or so

56 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

His decision making was questionable in college. It was never going to magically change over night. The fact the line doesn't give him time compounds the issue. The fact that Beane and McDermott didn't fix the offensive line is one of the biggest failures. If they address defense more next year and don't significantly improve the line (4 new players) then it is clear they don't get it. The NFL is a passing league now with QB's getting 350 yrds or more weekly. 300yrds is the new 200yrds. 

I decided this weekend that I detest this. Near the end of the Bills/Packers game (so, there were still ~6-7 games left to be played in full) the week's passing stats scrolled by. The 375 yard, 2TD game I saw...was the SEVENTH best passing performance of the young week. What a freaking arena-football-league joke that is. 

I am quite young, but even I remember a time when you could feel the field position battle that an NFL game is. You could really feel the front line shifting, being fought hard for, sometimes a yard at a time. I miss when running games felt unique and important. Now, if you're backed up at your own 3 yard line, as long as you have one of the 25 best QBs in the league you'll be at midfield within 4 plays it feels like, because the cornerback can't breakup the pass without laying a finger on the WR, and because the linebacker didn't tackle the QB softly enough. Now, I'm not saying that I want big gory hits or anything like that, so I don't want to sound like I'm dragging my knuckles. But I'm just not as interested in 500 passing yards-each slugfests as the NFL seems to be in having them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.