Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

This is as close to a general football thread as it gets, I guess.

https://sports.yahoo.com/op-ed-one-flawed-study-irresponsible-reporting-launched-wave-cte-hysteria-150349666.html?fbclid=iwar21fmiqoqbu81duwemicsownepfohyea5kmokuqeqj-svohz4dj7g5fwti

Gee, call me shocked yet another flawed study leads to...what we have today.

27 minutes ago, ... said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/op-ed-one-flawed-study-irresponsible-reporting-launched-wave-cte-hysteria-150349666.html?fbclid=iwar21fmiqoqbu81duwemicsownepfohyea5kmokuqeqj-svohz4dj7g5fwti

The op ed suffers from the same exact thing as all the coverage of the original paper.  Not once have I ever actually heard what their actual message was, just the constant reporting of the same numbers over and over.  I suspect the the message was that it is something that needs to be investigated further.  That's pretty typical for something like this.  How the media chooses to run with it is another story all together.

The line in the op ed accusing the authors of trying to bury the limitations of the study is pretty comical.  That is something that is always listed in the discussion section of a paper, which is always at the end.  To suggest that it was done deceptively is itself deceptive.

• Like (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, shrader said:

The op ed suffers from the same exact thing as all the coverage of the original paper.  Not once have I ever actually heard what their actual message was, just the constant reporting of the same numbers over and over.  I suspect the the message was that it is something that needs to be investigated further.  That's pretty typical for something like this.  How the media chooses to run with it is another story all together.

The line in the op ed accusing the authors of trying to bury the limitations of the study is pretty comical.  That is something that is always listed in the discussion section of a paper, which is always at the end.  To suggest that it was done deceptively is itself deceptive.

I think my favorite part is it's an op-ed by authors hocking their own book with "the plot to destroy football" in its title. The plot to destroy football

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I think my favorite part is it's an op-ed by authors hocking their own book with "the plot to destroy football" in its title. The plot to destroy football

Yeah, I forgot to mention that.  But that's how everything works now.  Stuff only comes to light if someone's trying to sell something.

Just now, ... said:

Wait, so neither of you are concerned that the study was flawed?  I'm on the wrong planet.

I'm much more worried about how it gets spun and who is doing the spinning.  This stuff gets bastardized in the public eye all the time.  I'm much less worried about the public's force-fed interpretation of these results and just hope that the more knowledgeable people in the medical community are dealing with it properly.

7 minutes ago, shrader said:

I'm much more worried about how it gets spun and who is doing the spinning.  This stuff gets bastardized in the public eye all the time.  I'm much less worried about the public's force-fed interpretation of these results and just hope that the more knowledgeable people in the medical community are dealing with it properly.

What matters is the perception.  The first impression is the most difficult to erase in the general public.   When that first impression is based on flawed data it's even worse.   The medical community...really.  That's like the scientists studying...never mind.

You get the idiot media out there who can't parse science trying to tell us what the science means, and everyone else just gobbles it up because the media says so.  That's the way it works, it's a proven process.  It's used ceaselessly in politics, marketing, all manner of societal control.

That it's one part of a thing chiseling away at the foundation of an industry that provides jobs and entertainment to millions - that in of itself is otherwise innocuous in the grand scheme of things.  It's sick that someone released that flawed study and damned the fallout from it.

Edited by ...

1 hour ago, ... said:

I've heard all of this before. Everything in that article was mentioned at the time of the original story. I don't know why they are so fired up about it now, I mean, um, unless they have some sort of agenda, as well.

54 minutes ago, ... said:

What matters is the perception.  The first impression is the most difficult to erase in the general public.   When that first impression is based on flawed data it's even worse.   The medical community...really.  That's like the scientists studying...never mind.

You get the idiot media out there who can't parse science trying to tell us what the science means, and everyone else just gobbles it up because the media says so.  That's the way it works, it's a proven process.  It's used ceaselessly in politics, marketing, all manner of societal control.

That it's one part of a thing chiseling away at the foundation of an industry that provides jobs and entertainment to millions - that in of itself is otherwise innocuous in the grand scheme of things.  It's sick that someone released that flawed study and damned the fallout from it.

I feel like your entire message here is that it's flawed because people misinterpret or misrepresent it.  How exactly is that on the writers?  There's only so much they can do if people won't take the time to actually read it themselves.  And no, the data is not flawed, it's the misrepresentation that is the issue.  Again, it's tough to fault the authors for people being stupid.  Hell, that right there sounds like a perfect reason to conduct further research into head injuries.

7 hours ago, shrader said:

This, and everything else you've written in this thread since this morning, deserves an award.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Hue Jackson fired.

Fun fact: Hue Jackson ranks 218th out of 219 in winning % by a head coach with a minimum of 40 starts. The last place guy? Some head coach for the Eagles in the 1940s; that guy couldn't get fired because, well, he was also the owner

24 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Hue Jackson fired.

Fun fact: Hue Jackson ranks 218th out of 219 in winning % by a head coach with a minimum of 40 starts. The last place guy? Some head coach for the Eagles in the 1940s; that guy couldn't get fired because, well, he was also the owner

Is McDermott now the worst coach in the NFL?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.