Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

16 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I saw that and I couldn't figure out why that wasn't a personal foul.  Freakin' ridiculous.

The NFL still needs to sort out yardage for penalties. Offsetting shouldn’t happen if it’s a personal foul vs a hold or something along those lines. I’m fine if they make a judgement that one penalty couldn’t have happened without the other but they’re generally happening at very different parts of the field.

I also wish they’d lessen the “automatic first down” calls. Like a defensive hold on 3rd and 27 that’s six yards down the field should not be a first down. Make it a ten yard penalty or a spot foul and replay the down. The offense gets way too many advantages in these cases.

Just now, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I really really hope that we do not lament the loss of a punter, in fact, after the Moorman being the only pro bowl guy on our team, I think we just go for it on 4th down every time

I know we all want to sound cool and fun and risky but punting is a part of the game. Having a good one helps.

25 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I saw that and I couldn't figure out why that wasn't a personal foul.  Freakin' ridiculous.

I think because he was engaged with a Bills blocker. There were actually some folks on twitter opining that is should have been a no-call. 

5 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I also wish they’d lessen the “automatic first down” calls. Like a defensive hold on 3rd and 27 that’s six yards down the field should not be a first down. Make it a ten yard penalty or a spot foul and replay the down. The offense gets way too many advantages in these cases.

I agree here.. But since the rule exists, the fact that teams don't take advantage is a constant source of frustration for me. 3rd and 27, how often do you see a team run it up the gut for half a yard, then punt? If I'm an OC, I'm taking advantage of the stupid rules all day. I'd have four WRs run ridiculous option routes, get a defender to grab, have the QB throw it away. Worst case scenario, you get sacked and punt from 7 yards deeper. No intention of actually completing a pass. It's a throwaway play just like the run, but you try to goat the defense into gifting you a first down.

Throughout the year, I bet you could pick up a handful of first downs by taking advantage of that rule. But no one seems to try it. I know I'm not smarter than NFL head coaches. So maybe there's a reason. But I don't see it.

31 minutes ago, Hoss said:

That's never going to happen. How else do you expect them to fix games? 

Just getting ready for the season.

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Punting is part of the game, but someone here ran some stats a couple years ago, that going on 4th down in many situations equaled the same if not better than punting. It's different if it's 4th and 16 from your own 4, but in many cases going for it, isn't as risky as it seems. 

I haven't run stats, but I've definitely posted them.  For a while, the NYT had a "fourth down bot" on Twitter that would analyze every punting situation in every game and say what should be done according to the statistical analysis.  NFL teams punt far, far too often.  That doesn't mean a team shouldn't want a good punter, though.

43 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I haven't run stats, but I've definitely posted them.  For a while, the NYT had a "fourth down bot" on Twitter that would analyze every punting situation in every game and say what should be done according to the statistical analysis.  NFL teams punt far, far too often.  That doesn't mean a team shouldn't want a good punter, though.

This entirely. I’ve felt for a while that with five yards and under at the 50 or beyond you should just about never be punting.

Some people go as far as saying you shouldn’t punt in any short yardage situation but I still imagine you’d be better off never going for it at your own 20.

12 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Are any Allen skeptics here now getting more optimistic about him?  He looked pretty good the other night.  

Absolutely.

But as long as they insist on playing Ducasse in the starting lineup would rather have Peterman starting.  Let Peterman take the lumps & let Allen continue to improve his footwork.

Unless the line improves significantly from Friday night, there's no way anybody survives 16 games behind it.

19 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

Many are very reluctant because it would mean having to disavow #footballfancystats

This simply isn't true. I wouldn't disavow them even if Allen turned into Brady. It makes Allen an exception to the rule. It doesn't redefine the rule. 

Allen has a long way to go but his work ethic could get him there. 

13 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Absolutely.

But as long as they insist on playing Ducasse in the starting lineup would rather have Peterman starting.  Let Peterman take the lumps & let Allen continue to improve his footwork.

Unless the line improves significantly from Friday night, there's no way anybody survives 16 games behind it.

I didn't watch Friday, but I know the line is bad.  They lost some serious talent.

On top of that, I would greatly prefer Allen to get some time to learn the speed of the game from the bench, but I don't think that's going to happen.

I never thought Taylor would take the team to a Super Bowl, but dumping him must seem especially stupid now.  (McCarron was no Taylor to begin with.)  The smart move would have been to keep Taylor, maybe make the playoffs again, and let Allen grow in a team that can win a few games.  Now, no matter whether Peterman or Allen, it's 4-12 to 6-10.

7 hours ago, Hoss said:

That’s the idea of the what if. If he did get a shot to start at a top college program then...

This is accurate. But also ignores the purpose of a “what if.”

Based on where he comes from and his development he never had a shot. Maybe if he elected to transfer before his final year but that would’ve been useless for him.

So the actually question is what if Allen was better in college. That's only way he would have started at a good school. Obviously if he was better in college it wouldn't have been as risky to take him because we'd know more about his ability. 

Allen has a really high ceiling but also a really low floor. Its what made him a polarizing pick. He's a Bill now so I hope he hits that ceiling. I want the exception to the rule. 

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I didn't watch Friday, but I know the line is bad.  They lost some serious talent.

On top of that, I would greatly prefer Allen to get some time to learn the speed of the game from the bench, but I don't think that's going to happen.

I never thought Taylor would take the team to a Super Bowl, but dumping him must seem especially stupid now.  (McCarron was no Taylor to begin with.)  The smart move would have been to keep Taylor, maybe make the playoffs again, and let Allen grow in a team that can win a few games.  Now, no matter whether Peterman or Allen, it's 4-12 to 6-10.

As opposed to with tyrod, it was 7-9. We didn't make the playoffs because tyrod but in spite of him. If we got behind in a game by more then 7 points we were screwed cuz conservative tyrod didn't change. 

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

As opposed to with tyrod, it was 7-9. We didn't make the playoffs because tyrod but in spite of him. If we got behind in a game by more then 7 points we were screwed cuz conservative tyrod didn't change. 

Taylor was 8-6 as a starter last year, no?  And they did get to the playoffs.  Whether you want to think it was because of him or in spite of him is immaterial.  They finally did it, with him.

11 minutes ago, Eleven said:

They got a third rounder for a not-very-gold QB. You take that any day. It doesn’t seem especially stupid because they are where they planned to be (minus having a potential starter get hurt).

They used the pick they got for Taylor to move up in the first (can’t remember if it was for Allen or Edmunds).

8 minutes ago, Eleven said:

On top of that, Iwould greatly prefer Allen tjo get some time to learn the speed of the game from the bench, but I don't think that's going to happen.

It was kind of weird having the Bills in Cleveland because Cleveland had the 2 QB's I'd hoped the Bills would have this year - Taylor & Mayfield.  And, had Cleveland's FO not been incompetent (yeah, a BIG if) then the guy who started for the Bills, McCarron, would've been a Brown.  And, had that happened, the Bills probably can't get a 3rd for Tyrod & the Browns may have felt a greater need at RB & might have taken the PS RB 1 overall & the Bills may have been able to trade up w/ the Giants thus ending up w/ this year's Browns QB's.

And, the Browns broke McCarron, so neither team has McCarron for at least the next few weeks & possibly for good if the Bills IR/Injury settlement AJ.

Mondo butterfly effect.

18 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Taylor was 8-6 as a starter last year, no?  And they did get to the playoffs.  Whether you want to think it was because of him or in spite of him is immaterial.  They finally did it, with him.

And Peterman who won them the snow game. And Andy Dalton who threw a last play TD on 4th and 16.

Tyrod threw for more then 225 only 3 times. He topped 200 only 7 and one of those was 204yrds. He never topped 300 yrds. He only threw more than one td in 3 games. I'm good without him. 

Edited by LGR4GM

24 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

So the actually question is what if Allen was better in college. That's only way he would have started at a good school. Obviously if he was better in college it wouldn't have been as risky to take him because we'd know more about his ability. 

Allen has a really high ceiling but also a really low floor. Its what made him a polarizing pick. He's a Bill now so I hope he hits that ceiling. I want the exception to the rule. 

No, I think the actual intention of the question is “what if this exact Josh Allen got the chance to play at a top tier school.” If he got the coaching and condition that comes with that it could have been great... or maybe he’s the type of guy who thrives off the challenge. He was the 7th pick as is and had a very real chance at going number one (reports said we had him as the number one QB, as did Arizona).

15 minutes ago, Eleven said:

But that was last year with an actually pretty different team. It doesn’t feel like putting Tyrod on this team would make them playoff contenders.

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

No, I think the actual intention of the question is “what if this exact Josh Allen got the chance to play at a top tier school.” If he got the coaching and condition that comes with that it could have been great... or maybe he’s the type of guy who thrives off the challenge. He was the 7th pick as is and had a very real chance at going number one (reports said we had him as the number one QB, as did Arizona).

Yes, the question is what if Josh Allen was better. 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yes, the question is what if Josh Allen was better. 

No. The question is if he would’ve had an opportunity at a bigger school. The problem with him coming out wasn’t ability. It was perception. He may have gotten devoured on a bigger campus but it’s sonetbing we can’t know.

I have no doubt he would’ve been wanted by several big programs had he decided to transfer before his last season. But as I mentioned above that would’ve been bad for him.

46 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Personally I have to disagree.....I wouldn't want Taylor anywhere near either Peterman or Allen. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.