Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Who cares if they paid McCarron 4mil. They have so much dead cap anyways they had tons of money lying around. Drop in the bucket for some insurance but they are not smart enough to get insurance. That's a reason their offensive line is absolute trash. They need 4 offensive lineman. That's priority #1 followed by priority #2, 3 brand new WR. They need 7 new offensive starters for next season. The sad part is I think they think, they need 2 WR and 2lineman. 

THEN WHY START ALLEN!? 

If the season doesn't matter why even put your rookie out their to get broken. Start McCarron and Peterman and when they get broken or suck no one will care and you can literally say, Josh Allen won't start til next year so he can work on his game. 

Because he is the best QB on the roster now. But just because that is true today doesn't mean that was the plan in March when McCarron was signed. I'll say it to I am blue in the face - you don't sign and trade McCarron unless he failed to meet expectations. Once that happened, it was on to plan B, C, D, and E.

The front office whiffed on McCarron and they have grossly misjudged Peterman. Because of these misjudgments they were forced to play Allen.

5 minutes ago, darksabre said:

So the better option was to trade him so that you had no choice but to start your rookie QB and then get him hurt?

Sounds dumb as sh*t to me. 

No, they started Nate Peterman. That's the dumb as ***** move.

1 minute ago, SDS said:

Because he is the best QB on the roster now. But just because that is true today doesn't mean that was the plan in March when McCarron was signed. I'll say it to I am blue in the face - you don't sign and trade McCarron unless he failed to meet expectations. Once that happened, it was on to plan B, C, D, and E.

The front office whiffed on McCarron and they have grossly misjudged Peterman. Because of these misjudgments they were forced to play Allen.

But the season doesn't matter. You said so yourself. If that was the case, you aren't forced to play Allen. 

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

They started Peterman, a 5th round rookie pick, on the road, during a playoff race to break the drought, in the biggest game of the year, over a proven NFL vet. You're kidding yourself if you honestly believe the plan was to bench Allen all year

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

But the season doesn't matter. You said so yourself. If that was the case, you aren't forced to play Allen. 

Bingo

4 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Bosa just bounced from Ohio State to focus on the Draft.

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

... what? 

Apparently he's going to focus on rehabbing and prepping for the draft instead of focusing on coming back for OSU

https://www.buckeyextra.com/sports/20181016/ohio-state-football-nick-bosa-will-focus-on-nfl-instead-of-possible-return-to-buckeyes-sources-say

Edited by WildCard

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

No, they started Nate Peterman. That's the dumb as ***** move.

It's all dumb. That's the point. They are feckless morons. 

You are just being argumentative now. Peterman isn't even a bad backup. He's a once in the history of the NFL bad backup. He provides no cover.

2 hours ago, SDS said:

I don’t get the hand wringing. Is it not clear what they are doing? They purged the roster of everyone they didn’t see moving forward with. They cut all their big contracts on other players. They aren’t playing the short game. They are playing the long game. The lack of talent today doesn’t mean a single thing to them. 

Just because they have a plan doesn't mean it's a good plan, or that they're capable of executing it. 

7 minutes ago, darksabre said:

It's all dumb. That's the point. They are feckless morons. 

This may be the case. The defensive side of the ball looks great for a second straight year. The offense is a hot mess. But they knew it was going to be this way and they decided to put $54M in dead cap money into this season, load up on draft picks and salary cap space for 2019. As I said before, this all looks bad if you think they made an honest effort to win the MOST games THIS year. I am arguing they did not and have made moves to try and set themselves up for the future.

It's fine if people want to be critical of that strategy. However, it's not really logical to criticize them for not succeeding in something they aren't attempting to do at the moment. I'm sure they are well aware of the holes on offense. Their plan is to address them in the future.

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Just because they have a plan doesn't mean it's a good plan, or that they're capable of executing it. 

And that's exactly what we should be focusing on.  Question the plan itself, not the subsequent moves made under that plan.  It reminds me of this conversation I have with the wife on nearly a daily basis:

Her: Did you call your mom?
Me: No.
Her: What did she say?

She's asking the wrong question.

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

This may be the case. The defensive side of the ball looks great for a second straight year. The offense is a hot mess. But they knew it was going to be this way and they decided to put $54M in dead cap money into this season, load up on draft picks and salary cap space for 2019. As I said before, this all looks bad if you think they made an honest effort to win the MOST games THIS year. I am arguing they did not and have made moves to try and set themselves up for the future.

It's fine if people want to be critical of that strategy. However, it's not really logical to criticize them for not succeeding in something they aren't attempting to do at the moment. I'm sure they are well aware of the holes on offense. Their plan is to address them in the future.

I don't care if they were planning to throw this season in the toilet. Why was Allen playing when he needed more time and the season didn't matter anyway?

Just now, shrader said:

And that's exactly what we should be focusing on.  Question the plan itself, not the subsequent moves made under that plan.  It reminds me of this conversation I have with the wife on nearly a daily basis:

Her: Did you call your mom?
Me: No.
Her: What did she say?

She's asking the wrong question.

I think the plan itself is nuts. Draft a questionable QB. Wait a full year. Draft that QB's offense. Wait another year while they all get on the same page. Then in year 3, hope all those moving parts worked out...

If they aren't trying then why is Josh Allen starting? He's just getting sacked and injured. 

BECAUSE NATE PETERMAN ***** SUCKS FAR MORE THAN THEY THOUGHT.

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

I don't care if they were planning to throw this season in the toilet. Why was Allen playing when he needed more time and the season didn't matter anyway?

4 minutes ago, SDS said:

However, it's not really logical to criticize them for not succeeding in something they aren't attempting to do at the moment. I'm sure they are well aware of the holes on offense. Their plan is to address them in the future.

It is wholly logical and eminently justified to criticize them for having a terrible plan and/or executing whatever plan they had in terrible fashion relative to Josh Allen playing this season.

Just now, SDS said:

Uh oh -- he went with the all caps.

There appear to be a half dozen people on this thread saying similar things to you on this subject. As usual, that alone is indicative of ... something.

37 minutes ago, SDS said:

Trading McCarron is only a mistake if you believe they wanted to maximize the outcome of THIS season. Given all their moves and their desire to push all the dead money into this year - it is clear they are not all in on this season's record. 

Trading McCarron was a mistake if the plan was to have Allen come through this season healthy.  There was absolutely no way the Bills were not going to get at least 1 QB injured behind this O-line.  Now, in a worst case, he suffered an injury which COULD cost him 2019 as well.  It should have been McCarron taking that pounding.  (Nasty as that is to say.)

That McCarron didn't beat out preseason All Pro Nathan Peterman shouldn't have been the reason to can McCarron.  McCarron actually looked good in the playoffs.  Keep him on the roster so that if Peterman gets injured or reverts to last season's play, there is a buffer before Allen is forced into action. Odds are, the McCarron they'd actually have had this season was closer to what the Bengals had than what we sawin the preseason.

They didn't need the cap space & a 5th rounder realistically will get you a backup LB, a rotational DL, or a project OL.  The Bills need these things, but they have a greater need to properly develop Allen.

39 minutes ago, SDS said:

Trading McCarron is only a mistake if you believe they wanted to maximize the outcome of THIS season. Given all their moves and their desire to push all the dead money into this year - it is clear they are not all in on this season's record. 

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

It is wholly logical and eminently justified to criticize them for having a terrible plan and/or executing whatever plan they had in terrible fashion relative to Josh Allen playing this season.

Uh oh -- he went with the all caps.

There appear to be a half dozen people on this thread saying similar things to you on this subject. As usual, that alone is indicative of ... something.

Meh. If someone is asking why Peterman isn’t  starting as a means proving/disproving an argument - then I’m not really sure it is an honest discussion. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.