Trade Deadline Deals 2018 (Non-Sabres Thread)

Brawndo

Full Deal

Trade details:

To PIT:

C Derick Brassard

F Vincent Dunn

F Tobias Lindberg

2018 3rd RD pick (OTT)

To VGK:

RW Ryan Reaves

2018 4th RD pick (VAN via PIT)

Retain 40% of Brassard cap hit

To OTT:

2018 1st RD pick (PIT)

2019 3rd RD pick (PIT)

D Ian Cole

G Filip Gustavsson

I think McPhee is also sending a message to his team that we aren’t mortgaging the future but we also beleive you can make a run and nobody is gonna try and run usnout of the building. McPhee wasn’t available when Tpegs was shopping?

If you buy the fact that Pittsburgh was happy to give up a late first for Reaves, then Brassard (with salary retained) essentially was worth a roster player (Coles) and the equivalent of three late 1sts/early 2nds to Pittsburgh

(Which was essentially Botts initial ask for Kane.)

But Ottawa actually got one piece less because they wouldn’t or couldn’t retain enough.

Interesting. Love the creativity.

That's what I men. I thought that cash trades were no go?P-burgh gots sick centers now. Sid, Geno, and Brassard...... wow.

The cash must have been the hold-up with the NHL

They must have done some kind of shell game involving the minor leaguers and extra picks so it was all legal on paper.

Edited by Mick O’Manly

Reading now that there's speculation floating (worth however much you'd like to invest in it) that Vegas effectively laundered Brassard's salary for Pittsburgh's benefit to keep him out of Winnipeg.... interesting if true.

Even more interesting. Love this stuff.

Reading now that there's speculation floating (worth however much you'd like to invest in it) that Vegas effectively laundered Brassard's salary for Pittsburgh's benefit to keep him out of Winnipeg.... interesting if true.

Read that too, they got involved in order to block a trade to a western conference team, so they stepped in to help Pittsburgh to keep him in the East.

Full Deal

Trade details:

To PIT:

C Derick Brassard

F Vincent Dunn

F Tobias Lindberg

2018 3rd RD pick (OTT)

To VGK:

RW Ryan Reaves

2018 4th RD pick (VAN via PIT)

Retain 40% of Brassard cap hit

To OTT:

2018 1st RD pick (PIT)

2019 3rd RD pick (PIT)

D Ian Cole

G Filip Gustavsson

Color me shocked that the Reaves experiment didn't work out for the Pens

Still, there has to be another shoe dropping. I find it hard to believe Vegas is picking up 40% of Brassard's cap hit what's left of this year and all of next year for a Ryan Reeves rental...

0773fee28970344f7262cb9976ff8ca6_bigger.John ShannonVerified account @JSportsnet
FollowFollow @JSportsnet
More

So my question...why would Vegas take money on Brassard and help Pittsburgh? It appears otherwise, Brassard was heading to a western team, VGK got involved to keep him in the east. As I was told “Better to face him in round 4 than 2.”

How soon before players with a large cap hit are traded to a cap floor such as Arizona, only to be traded back to the original team in the same season with the floor team holding a percentage of said contract? This reduces the total cap hit for the original team.

This may already be illegal per the CBA. Perhaps Taro can weigh in on this.

Funny how the further we get into a CBA, the more ways around it GMs and agents find.

Some call it unfair. I say BS. No rules broken. I want my team run by smart, competitive guys actively looking for any advantage they can find.

Botterill has a Reputation for being a CBA Savant hopefully that continues.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.