Lehner, doesn't track pucks well

LGR4GM

Lehner is awful. Nine out of ten times he goes behind the net it's a turnover. He can't, iterally can not stop a shot one-on-one.

He lunges at shots or what he thinks might be shots. He somehow gets smaller in front of the net when he can't see the puck. He can not hold a post. He's actually, when you drill down, literally bad at everything a goalie needs to do.

Watch next time a puck goes behind the net. Or defenders make a screened pass. He loses the puck. Major reason he unsealed the post. Discuss.

Exactly, when the puck goes behind the net he has no idea where it went.  When he does pick it up, he has a look on his face of surprise... oh there it went.  Not sure if he needs glasses or wears contacts and his depth perception is thrown off... but if I were the Sabres, I'd get his eyes checked out.

Exactly, when the puck goes behind the net he has no idea where it went.  When he does pick it up, he has a look on his face of surprise... oh there it went.  Not sure if he needs glasses or wears contacts and his depth perception is thrown off... but if I were the Sabres, I'd get his eyes checked out.

He too aggressive, he attacks the puck; and the league knows this.

he doesnt track the puck well,

he doesnt move side to side well,

he doesnt protect glove side well,

he doesnt protect blocker side well,

he doesnt cover the posts tightly (well),

he doesnt protect shoot outs well,

he doesnt protect break-aways well,

he doesnt protect pucks not shot directly at him well,

he doesnt prevent soft goals well,

he doesnt read passes well

i am very much looking forward to him being another teams problem. I really believe he will not be a starter in the NHL again after this year and within 3 years will be out of the NHL completely

Edited by fettmanlitenkappa

I bet he wouldn't be half as good as DLo with the puck.

LOL. I'm not sure why people think he'd be good making breakout passes given the way he handles the puck behind the net. :)

he doesnt track the puck well,

he doesnt move side to side well,

he doesnt protect glove side well,

he doesnt protect blocker side well,

he doesnt cover the posts tightly (well),

he doesnt protect shoot outs well,

he doesnt protect break-aways well,

he doesnt protect pucks not shot directly at him well,

he doesnt prevent soft goals well,

he doesnt read passes well

i am very much looking forward to him being another teams problem. I really believe he will not be a starter in the NHL again after this year and within 3 years will be out of the NHL completely

Do be fair, I don't think he's that bad on break-aways. :)

LOL. I'm not sure why people think he'd be good making breakout passes given the way he handles the puck behind the net. :)

Seriously, EVERY time he handles the puck behind the net, there's a Sabre Dman RIGHT THERE and he rims it around the boards past the Dman to the opposing forward on the half wall.  EVERY.  STINKING.  TIME.  Watch for it; it's infuriating.

Are there any Lehner supporters on this board? I can't wait until he's off the team, the guy always seems wound up way too tightly. I think I recall some interviews from Ottawa players after he left saying "we can relax on the back end a bit" and reading into that makes you think Lehner's fiery attitude had guys treading lightly.

I caught the 3rd last night and watching the 3rd and 4th goals had me rolling my eyes. His positioning was atrocious and my thoughts were "Ullmark would have stopped those". I haven't read the game thread but I'm sure others have had that sentiment.

Are there any Lehner supporters on this board? I can't wait until he's off the team, the guy always seems wound up way too tightly. I think I recall some interviews from Ottawa players after he left saying "we can relax on the back end a bit" and reading into that makes you think Lehner's fiery attitude had guys treading lightly.

I caught the 3rd last night and watching the 3rd and 4th goals had me rolling my eyes. His positioning was atrocious and my thoughts were "Ullmark would have stopped those". I haven't read the game thread but I'm sure others have had that sentiment.

I had the same thought.

And from that standpoint, I would say the Sabres played a pretty good game.  It's a game they could have won had a bounce or two gone their way.  Instead Lehner couldn't stop them.

His fiery attitude is not an issue with me. The real problem is that he is an average to below average NHL goaltender with bad fundamentals.

Until we get a competent blue line group, we won’t ever be satisfied with our goaltending. We don’t score, we play in our own end 65% of the game, our D don’t clear the goal crease, our D don’t get the puck efficiently out of our zone and our forwards stink at back checking. Somehow this is Lehner’s fault?

No one would look good playing behind this D group.

Y’all might not love Lehner, but I suspect Jbot will try to keep him if he’ll accept another year at $4mill. If he’ll move him by the deadline or more likely over the summer if he can get his price.

Rationale: Letting Ullmark backup Lehner to the tune of 35 games would give Ullmark a season to get fully used to the NHL. It would also give Jbot the opportunity to lock him at a top backup prices rather then starter prices when his deal ends after next season.

Until we get a competent blue line group, we won’t ever be satisfied with our goaltending. We don’t score, we play in our own end 65% of the game, our D don’t clear the goal crease, our D don’t get the puck efficiently out of our zone and our forwards stink at back checking. Somehow this is Lehner’s fault?

No one would look good playing behind this D group.

Y’all might not love Lehner, but I suspect Jbot will try to keep him if he’ll accept another year at $4mill. If he’ll move him by the deadline or more likely over the summer if he can get his price.

Rationale: Letting Ullmark backup Lehner to the tune of 35 games would give Ullmark a season to get fully used to the NHL. It would also give Jbot the opportunity to lock him at a top backup prices rather then starter prices when his deal ends after next season.

i think you are thinking a bulk of the people ONLY blame lehner. I think most people here know our entire team is pretty horrible, except a couple of guys. 

yes, i agree the defense is horrible, but lehner is a very below average tender. i honestly, honestly think that if this team had ullmark for this entire season that the sabres would have 18 to 20 wins at this point. 

yes the defense stinks, the scoring is bad too, but lehner is probably the worst everyday starting goaltender in the league. i truly believe that.

What's lehners sv% compared to league average?

Tied 20th for Quality Start % for goalies who have played over 20+ GP

Lehner has 34 GP, and at a 50% level of QS, he basically plays well enough half the time.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_2018_goalies.html

Edited by Jokertecken

What's lehners sv% compared to league average?

tied for 22 of 32 with people that have at least 20 starts

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/2017-18-nhl-goalies-stats.html

he is 27 of 32 for GAA with at least 20 starts.

so i was wrong, he isnt the worst goalie in the league. there are a couple that are a little worse.

also, those stats just show a small portion. i still stand behind my statement that he wont stop most shots that isnt hit directly at him

The Sabres are amongst the worst teams in the league in blocking shots, and takeaways. We give up the 6th most shots a game. Our PK is now 25th. We have the 3rd worst differential between scoring chances for and against and 3rd worst in high danger chances for and against.

While I’ll admit Lehner was certainly better last season, so were Price, Allen and Murray, who all have stats similar to Lehner this season.

Lehner may not be the long-term solution TM envisioned, he is the least of our worries.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.