Sabres Have Become Tight-Knit Group ??

bob_sauve28

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-become-tight-knit-group/

No pressure, just have fun. At least they are losing together 

The Sabres have endured a miserable season, winning only eight games, the NHL’s second-lowest total. They’ve lost three straight games (0-2-1) and 16 of the last 19 contests (3-11-5) entering Friday’s tilt against the Philadelphia Flyers, their last game at KeyBank Center until Jan. 9.

Still, the Sabres have mostly stayed positive throughout another losing campaign. Hours after Tuesday’s 3-0 home loss to Boston, they were loose and laughing.

In less less than four months, the Sabres, a team that has used 13 new players this season, have quickly become a close-knit group.

“It’s just a bunch of guys that get along together on and off the ice,” said winger Jason Pominville, who rejoined the Sabres in June after five years in Minnesota. “Some guys have played together a little while, some guys have come in from different teams. Overall, we’re a young team. It seems like all the young guys get along together.”

Bogosian understands outsiders probably think the Sabres are hanging their heads.

“We’d like our record to be a lot better,” he said. “But we’re a tight group in here, we try to be as positive as possible. You got to have fun with it, right? You hang your head and you’re (ticked) off every day, that’s not going to make you better all of a sudden overnight.”

Sounds like they need an ###### in the lockerroom

I think that's right.

Not that the insufferable a-hole* needs to rule with an iron fist to the exclusion of the good-time Charlies. But there's too many of the latter, I infer. And there may be none of the former.

*Paging Mr. Drury. Mr. Drury, please pick up the nearest white courtesy phone.

If these guys aren't mad about how bad they are, and that isn't eating at them every day, then they're all bums. 

It's a delicate balance, though, innit?

I mean, you don't want to become downcast and sullen. That's not helping anything. But you also don't want to remain proverbially fat, dumb, and happy when your team stinks.

All losers the lot of them. This starts at the top and runs downhill like a wet fart. Something is wrong with the way things are run in Pegulaville. Weren't we told that the culture needed to change ? The other day Phil said he had no answers. That article is the answer Phil. These guys are o.k. with losing.

All losers the lot of them. This starts at the top and runs downhill like a wet fart. Something is wrong with the way things are run in Pegulaville. Weren't we told that the culture needed to change ? The other day Phil said he had no answers. That article is the answer Phil. These guys are o.k. with losing.

Start taking away their friends and see what happens. Break up the 4 ponies 

It's a delicate balance, though, innit?

I mean, you don't want to become downcast and sullen. That's not helping anything. But you also don't want to remain proverbially fat, dumb, and happy when your team stinks.

I mean, I get it, you can't be "on" all the time. You burn out. 

But as an athlete under the public eye, you have to make sure you're not giving anyone a reason to think you're just yucking it up and not doing everything you can to earn that paycheck. 

I always think about that article from a few years ago about Jagr, and how the guy walked into Florida and told the trainer "I need you all the time" and would just call him and tell him to come to the rink to work out at like midnight on a Tuesday. 

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/04/09/sports/hockey/jaromir-jagr-still-playing-with-florida-panthers.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=photo-spot-region

I don't want any quotes from this team about how tight-knit they are. I want quotes from this team about how they're trying to take things to that next level of commitment. Where's Jack Eichel calling up the Sabres trainers at 3am looking for some ice time? 

I just read the article again and it almost seems like it's a joke, or making fun of them. 

I think Bill Hoppe is saavy enough to put out something like this as a hit piece but have it not look that way. Compare and contrast to the B-News guys who'd be hysterically whining about millennials and work and woe are the yutes of today. This seems way more effective based on the replies here. Don't tell people how to feel, present the facts in such a way that the reader feels it naturally.

Edited by MattiPaj

I just read the article again and it almost seems like it's a joke, or making fun of them. 

There's something to what you're saying. Although I think Hoppe was just writing a fair, objective piece about who and what they are -- letting that speak for itself.

I think Bill Hoppe is saavy enough to put out something like this as a hit piece but have it not look that way. Compare and contrast to the B-News guys who'd be hysterically whining about millennials and work and woe are the yutes of today. This seems way more effective based on the replies here. Don't tell people how to feel, present the facts in such a way that the reader feels it naturally.

Excellent point.

Beat me to it. Culture.

I wonder how many great teams down through history, any sport, got along like this? Is it even important?

Jordan Nolan talked about accountability. You can see why he noticed the lack of it. Who's gonna call out a buddy? And risk "rocking the boat"?

IIRC, the 2004 Redsox were all chummy. On the flip side, Bickering Bills. While the Bickering Bills didn't win is all, they were pretty successful.

IIRC, the 2004 Redsox were all chummy. On the flip side, Bickering Bills. While the Bickering Bills didn't win is all, they were pretty successful.

They were. There's a lot to be said for team chemistry, but it's not as important as talent and a desire to win. Those Sox were incredibly talented and wanted to win, badly

I keep saying:  The goal for this year was not for the Sabres to win.  The emphasis has been on development (proper development) in Rochester, then bringing several of those guys up to Buffalo next season.  In the meantime, we've got Housley trying lots of new things with the players.  Jack is already improving his two-way game (despite occasional lapses); Sam is playing a more physical game.  Housley isn't trying to win games this year; he's trying to form players into the players they would have been with proper development.  At this point, the players get that.  There's no reason to hang heads at this point; this season is an extended training camp.

The roster depth isn't sufficient to consistently win, but bringing a line or two and a couple of D up from Rochester next year will give them the depth.

In the meantime, just enjoy it for what it is.

I keep saying:  The goal for this year was not for the Sabres to win.  The emphasis has been on development (proper development) in Rochester, then bringing several of those guys up to Buffalo next season.  In the meantime, we've got Housley trying lots of new things with the players.  Jack is already improving his two-way game (despite occasional lapses); Sam is playing a more physical game.  Housley isn't trying to win games this year; he's trying to form players into the players they would have been with proper development.  At this point, the players get that.  There's no reason to hang heads at this point; this season is an extended training camp.

The roster depth isn't sufficient to consistently win, but bringing a line or two and a couple of D up from Rochester next year will give them the depth.

In the meantime, just enjoy it for what it is.

Which is an absolutely banana thing to say

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.