Sabres at Avalanche, 12/5/2017, 9 PM ET

Doohickie

Moulson waived = Sabres win....who's next?! I nominate Josh Gorges.

Given the lack of depth on D he'll be around until the trade deadline when they'll be able to offload him to a cup contender for a 6th round pick in the 2019 draft.

Given the lack of depth on D he'll be around until the trade deadline when they'll be able to offload him to a cup contender for a 6th round pick in the 2019 draft.

Yes I see a Weber like trade at the deadline for him.

Pouliot with another good game, he's been a pleasant surprise for this team.

The bunkerites will probably disagree but Bogosian has played pretty well the past 3 games. I thought he played well for Nolan, got lost with Bylsma and looks pretty good again.

11 GA in the past 3 games and he's at +/- 0 in them with avg of 19 minutes TOI

They are going to miss Kane when they trade him

Samson with 9 minutes of TOI, not a good look, message sent, lets see what he does with it

Risto with almost 31 minutes of TOI in Colorado's thin air, WOW, that's pretty impressive all by itself, looked bad in Mackinnon's 2nd goal though

Wilson and Rodriques adds much needed speed to the lineup

I think I got it! And it's not all that crazy. Jersey sales are obviously way down, and Christmas is coming fast. Brandon thought about it and came to the same conclusion I did. The blue looks good in person but too dark on TV. He knows what people want: a brighter blue. So he sent a man into the control booth last night to turn some knobs (heyo). That man? Who else but Joe Battista. (He came highly recommended after his work on the RNC broadcast of Trump's acceptance speech at the convention last year.)

I watched highlights from the Avs broadcast on YouTube in HD on my TV and the blue looks normal again, dark-ish. Weird.

Pretty much a function of the camera set up. On the main camera, the unis typically looked very close to normal. On the close up ones, they looked much more royal blue. It's probably intentional in that rink to make the blue in the Av's unis 'pop.'

[Edit: Reading further down the thread, it appears you already figured that out. As Emily Lutella always said, "nevermind." ]

Edited by Taro T

I've convinced myself that the Super Mario back to full strength sound effect is not played in the arena there. I'm guessing the Sabres used the Colorado feed and the sound effect is only on the broadcast. There's no way the NHL would allow it (teehee).

I did some digging and the chatter on the fan forums is that they DO play it in the arena. They started doing it in 2015. There's some debate as to whether it's an advantage or disadvantage, but it doesn't appear to be against the rules.

Pretty much a function of the camera set up. On the main camera, the unis typically looked very close to normal. On the close up ones, they looked much more royal blue. It's probably intentional in that rink to make the blue in the Av's unis 'pop.'

[Edit: Reading further down the thread, it appears you already figured that out. As Emily Lutella always said, "nevermind." ]

I don't think it's intentionalIt's just a function of the iris of the cameras. There is more bright white of the ice on the main camera so they have to not let as much light in, making the blues darker. The close ups have more crowd background and bench with less ice, so they can open up the iris which lightens up the blue.

I don't think it's intentionalIt's just a function of the iris of the cameras. There is more bright white of the ice on the main camera so they have to not let as much light in, making the blues darker. The close ups have more crowd background and bench with less ice, so they can open up the iris which lightens up the blue.

I'd expect it is intentional as it was FAR more noticeable in that rink than any other the Sabres have played in & w/ the sweaters the Avs wear, there's a REALLY good reason to do it. The bright blue of the Avs in close up was nearly glowing. It looked very sharp, IMHO.

It also was very apparent when they were providing the full ice shot from alternate (lower) angles. Pretty sure that's an intentional choice of the production crew. If so, too bad the Sabres don't employ the same when they control the cameras.

I've convinced myself that the Super Mario back to full strength sound effect is not played in the arena there. I'm guessing the Sabres used the Colorado feed and the sound effect is only on the broadcast. There's no way the NHL would allow it (teehee).

It's probably mixed in with the ice mic audio feed. At least that's how I'd do it.

I'd expect it is intentional as it was FAR more noticeable in that rink than any other the Sabres have played in & w/ the sweaters the Avs wear, there's a REALLY good reason to do it. The bright blue of the Avs in close up was nearly glowing. It looked very sharp, IMHO.

It also was very apparent when they were providing the full ice shot from alternate (lower) angles. Pretty sure that's an intentional choice of the production crew. If so, too bad the Sabres don't employ the same when they control the cameras.

That place also has great lighting. Some of the best in the leaugue. I really don't think it's intentional.

Did Druncle Terry spend some dough on improving the lighting at the Marena?

I did some digging and the chatter on the fan forums is that they DO play it in the arena. They started doing it in 2015. There's some debate as to whether it's an advantage or disadvantage, but it doesn't appear to be against the rules.

I saw some of that. I think it's just a matter of people assuming it's being played in the rink like I (we) did. It's not reporting, per se. If you have a more definitive link please pass it along. I find this kind of interesting. At first I thought it would be a nice advantage for the home team, knowing exactly when a player is leaving the box, to spring a pass. But of course it also lets the defending team know.

That place also has great lighting. Some of the best in the leaugue. I really don't think it's intentional.

Please show me the lighting conditions (sunlight, incandescent, sodium, mercury vapor, LED, etc. ) that when seeing those unis live & in person that the navy blue trim on the Sabres whites appear royal blue.

It's intentional.

Agree with Bulldog on Twitter (from what I saw of the game): Eichel was skating like he hasn’t for ... a long time.

Which is frustrating.

I disagree.  I think he was the same skating wise.  It is easier to acknowledge it when they win. 

Please show me the lighting conditions (sunlight, incandescent, sodium, mercury vapor, LED, etc. ) that when seeing those unis live & in person that the navy blue trim on the Sabres whites appear royal blue.

It's intentional.

When did I say they looked like that live? I said it's a function of the LED lighting and the cameras.

Aaaaand I just stopped caring.

When did I say they looked like that live? I said it's a function of the LED lighting and the cameras.

Aaaaand I just stopped caring.

So, 'the best lighting' causes colors to distort? And the production crew could only come close to compensating for it on 1 camera? :huh:

So, 'the best lighting' causes colors to distort? And the production crew could only come close to compensating for it on 1 camera? :huh:

So you didn't even read my first post, then? This absolutely could happen.Each camera is color corrected separately as well as being white balanced separately. 

The main camera has way more bright white of the ice in the frame which means they have to close the iris down letting in less light. That would absolutely make the blues darker on the main cam.

Actually, the more I think about it, it may have looked like that in person. The guy I was watching the game with last night texted his buddy who designs jerseys for the NHL, 'cuz we were wondering if they changed to blue without telling anyone, and he said it was the lighting in that arena.

All that being said, intentional or not, the Sabres need to go back to royal because it looked awesome.

Edited by TräskB

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.