GDT Penguins at Sabres, 7pm, MSG & Free Game on NHL.tv

LTS

What a complete ###### joke. Funny how the Amerks are one of the top teams in the AHL. Maybe they should switch uniforms.

Hey, that is some much-needed good news! At least it follows JB's blueprint for success. An incoming class of Ullmark, Guhle, Nylander, and Bailey (plus Mittelstadt from college) might inject some life into this roster. 5 players = 25% of the active roster. 

Our record would certainly be better (though still bad) if we had last year's power play.

Ya, I mean, by the numbers, we'd have 9 more goals this year if our PP was the very best in the league like last season.

Assuming it's unreasonable to expect best of the league rates, with an average PP we'd be looking at about 4-5 more goals this year.

Not make or break.

A PP goal changes games.

See above.

It's definitely making a difference, but we are bottom of the league either way.

Edited by Thorny

With that showing, I have a good feeling about tomorrow.  :sick:

Me too, Sabres always play better on the second night of a B2B on the road.

Tomorrow's game might be 8-0 Happy Feet.

Have the Sabres ever been shut out before 3 straight games? Now what?

First time in franchise history.

Ya, I mean, by the numbers, we'd have 9 more goals this year if our PP was the very best in the league like last season.

Assuming it's unreasonable to expect best of the league rates, with an average PP we'd be looking at about 4-5 more goals this year.

Not make or break.

See above.

But it changes the game. A good PP means more goals in other situations because it changes situations.

And what about the short handed goals we have given up? Those have been killers.

Our PP is killing us

But it changes the game. A good PP means more goals in other situations because it changes situations.

And what about the short handed goals we have given up? Those have been killers.

Our PP is killing us

It's definitely hurting us. But I don't really see that as a source of comfort. It's a big part of the game, and we suck at it. Combined with sucking at even strength, where is the bright side?

To be near the bottom of the league standings last season, with a top ranked PP, is very unusual. It doesn't look sustainable.

They may still get it together though.

Edited by Thorny

It's definitely hurting us. But I don't really see that as a source of comfort. It's a big part of the game, and we suck at it. Combined with sucking at even strength, where is the bright side?

To be near the bottom of the league standings last season, with a top ranked PP, is very unusual. It doesn't look sustainable.

They may still get it together though.

I take comfort in it because PP can get better quick. That's all. I. Think overall this is a better team than last year. The D is much better but scoring is just not the real. Who could have seen Okposo doing nothing? I just think they are better than what is going on now. The PP can lead them forward, give confidence and tip the momentum. Ya, I'm probably wrong, what else is new?

Have a good night, I'm out

Have the Sabres ever been shut out before 3 straight games? Now what?

Well, fortunately for them, the NHL has been in business for a long time and the Sabres aren't even close to the record streak. The 1928-29 Chicago Blackhawks were shut out 8 games in a row on their way to being shutout 20 times in a 44 game season. That's really pathetic.

I expected this Sabres team to be scoring a lot more and even drafted Eichel in the 2nd round of my fantasy hockey draft and later drafted Ristolainen. I would not expect to get much in trading Jack but it's time to dump Risto.

With the power play? Fix that and you have a lot better team.

A good coach would figure out how to make that get off of life support and start scoring

My analysis ( for what it's worth) It is the coach. Phil has to go. These guys can score but they cannot (or will not) play Phil's ###### system. These guys can score as we saw last season with the #1 power play. This season, they're a mess and they're the same group. This club (unfortunately) has chosen the wrong coach 3 times in a row (Rolston, Bylsma and now Housley) I don't count Nolan 2.0 as he was just babysitting.

I think management should be seriously checking out who is available out there and see if they'll even come to this club. Then, if they have another candidate, cut Phil loose. This club is a reflection of it's coach: SOFT! (and lets be honest, for a D-man, Phil was soft but he could skate and put up points)

Other posters are correct in that Torts and Gallant would not tolerate this crap for one minute and butts would be sat. No way this club gets better with Philly as coach. Just my 2 cents worth. They have had enough time to try and play Phil's system. These are professional hockey players and I have never seen this club worse then it is right now. The tank teams were much better. This isn't even watchable.

My analysis ( for what it's worth) It is the coach. Phil has to go. These guys can score but they cannot (or will not) play Phil's ###### system. These guys can score as we saw last season with the #1 power play. This season, they're a mess and they're the same group. This club (unfortunately) has chosen the wrong coach 3 times in a row (Rolston, Bylsma and now Housley) I don't count Nolan 2.0 as he was just babysitting.

I think management should be seriously checking out who is available out there and see if they'll even come to this club. Then, if they have another candidate, cut Phil loose. This club is a reflection of it's coach: SOFT! (and lets be honest, for a D-man, Phil was soft but he could skate and put up points)

Other posters are correct in that Torts and Gallant would not tolerate this crap for one minute and butts would be sat. No way this club gets better with Philly as coach. Just my 2 cents worth. They have had enough time to try and play Phil's system. These are professional hockey players and I have never seen this club worse then it is right now. The tank teams were much better. This isn't even watchable.

Frankly it's hard to argue with this. Is it all the coach? No. But these guys actually have regressed under Phil and I'm not sure it's learning a new system at this point. I was all for hiring Phil but I'm nit liking this at all.

Frankly it's hard to argue with this. Is it all the coach? No. But these guys actually have regressed under Phil and I'm not sure it's learning a new system at this point. I was all for hiring Phil but I'm nit liking this at all.

In all honesty, I had high hopes for Phil also and I am so disappointed it hasn't worked out for him here. But I do believe the team is a reflection of its coach.

I didn't like the hiring from day one. He was spineless on the ice and is the same way behind the bench. The players have no problem calling each other out, why can't he do it? He needs to start showing some emotion. His interviews are like watching Groundhog's Day. Punxsutawney Phil......Housley. Look where being the nice guy HC got fat Rex.

Harrington told Risto that it's never happened before.

That's the bit about Harrington that I really hate. He's like Wormtongue. Why tell him that? What place does that have in a post game, locker room interview?!

Your job there is to just talk hockey, douche!

I have been following this team since 1975, ok not always real closely all those years but enough to know how they were playing.

This is without a doubt historically the worst Sabres team in my 42 years of following this team.

This is the bottom as far as I am concerned.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.