Its Ground Hog Day all over again, Yotes, Oilers, Sabres

North Buffalo

It is still early, but we are getting to the point where you can start to make some decisions about who is good, who is bad, where problems are, etc...

The thing that surprises me even more than the Sabres is Edmonton.  After their play last season, I was SURE they were going to be one of the top 5-7 teams in the league, and almost as sure they would probably lead the NHL in goal scoring.

Well, a month into the season, and not only are they 1 of the 2 teams in the league with less points than the Sabres..they are dead last in scoring.  Unless you told me McDavid was going to miss the entire season, there is no way I would have even imagined that.

Draisaitl deal may haunt the Oilers. McDavid is the real deal, however.

I know Leon was injured to start the season but I think he was more of a coattail rider than a Malkin.

Malkin has played like an MVP with and without Crosby. Draisaitl is a big body and protects the puck well but he is not fast. Speed is a main component of the modern game. If he loses a step in a few years....

Doubt is beginning to creep in but I still think Sam may outperform Leon.

Draisaitl deal may haunt the Oilers. McDavid is the real deal, however.

I know Leon was injured to start the season but I think he was more of a coattail rider than a Malkin.

Malkin has played like an MVP with and without Crosby. Draisaitl is a big body and protects the puck well but he is not fast. Speed is a main component of the modern game. If he loses a step in a few years....

Doubt is beginning to creep in but I still think Sam may outperform Leon.

Speaking of the expression "coattail rider" Sam Reinhart comes to mind, but not in a bad way. He is a productive player once you get him in the right place, alongside a major talent.. I think he can only function as Eichel's wingman or maybe O'Reillys and giving him his own line with such thin talent is pure folly. It's got to stop Now. The point that he can't elevate mediocre players is already made.

Speaking of the expression "coattail rider" Sam Reinhart comes to mind, but not in a bad way. He is a productive player once you get him in the right place, alongside a major talent.. I think he can only function as Eichel's wingman or maybe O'Reillys and giving him his own line with such thin talent is pure folly. It's got to stop Now. The point that he can't elevate mediocre players is already made.

couldn't this be almost anyone? Why can't players just be good, productive players.....why do they need perfect situations to excel?

couldn't this be almost anyone? Why can't players just be good, productive players.....why do they need perfect situations to excel?

Normally, I agree with you, but Sam is kind of unique.  He is an excellent passer and sees the ice well, but doesn't have the outstanding speed or ability to carry the puck up the ice like some of the young guns.  What he brings though is toughness in front of the net, incredible hand eye coordination.  It is one of those deals where he is more than a complimentary player, but he is not a do it on his own kinda guy.  I think he has a role with someone like Jack and a finisher who knows how to move the puck... which is why Kane is no bueno along side him and Jack.  But as a set up man, I really like Sam.

Normally, I agree with you, but Sam is kind of unique.  He is an excellent passer and sees the ice well, but doesn't have the outstanding speed or ability to carry the puck up the ice like some of the young guns.  What he brings though is toughness in front of the net, incredible hand eye coordination.  It is one of those deals where he is more than a complimentary player, but he is not a do it on his own kinda guy.  I think he has a role with someone like Jack and a finisher who knows how to move the puck... which is why Kane is no bueno along side him and Jack.  But as a set up man, I really like Sam.

ok, fair points but I guess expectations were higher based on draft position.

So he is a young Moulson?  :P

I disagree.  That point may come but I don't think we're there yet.  He's a natural center.  In games where he throws the body around a bit I like him (I thought he did this well in the Coyotes game).  He could evolve into that third line checking center with some scoring touch.  If Housley is trying to train him into a certain role I think Reino needs enough time to learn the role.

A couple things to think about:  We still have some albatross contracts to deal with; as long as they are taking up roster slots (and some ice time), they're going to be a drag on the team.  Also, JBot has said he prefers to build from the farm up.  So until we see talent getting promoted (and pushing the albatrosses off the team), I wouldn't call anything we're seeing the "finished product."  This could be little more than a development year.  Getting back to Reinhart, if this is to be a development year, let Housley develop him into a piece the team needs.

We already know that Reinhart can produce at a minimum 40+ point level on Eichel's wing. We don't know how he'll produce centering his own line over the course of a season. We're not making the playoffs this year so we should keep Reinhart at center to let him fully acclimate to the center position at the NHL level.

If playing 3rd line center with a bunch of bums continues to throttle his production it should allow the team to save a few bucks on his bridge deal this summer which should help buy them time to clear some of the cap anchors off the payroll. That's a good thing.

I'd much rather see that than see Housley prematurely move him back to Eichel's wing to bring up his production as well as the value of his next contract, only to find out later (after an injury to O'Reilly or Eichel) that he can't hack it at center or that he can function at center but it severely hampers his ability to produce.

We already know that Reinhart can produce at a minimum 40+ point level on Eichel's wing. We don't know how he'll produce centering his own line over the course of a season. We're not making the playoffs this year so we should keep Reinhart at center to let him fully acclimate to the center position at the NHL level.

If playing 3rd line center with a bunch of bums continues to throttle his production it should allow the team to save a few bucks on his bridge deal this summer which should help buy them time to clear some of the cap anchors off the payroll. That's a good thing.

I'd much rather see that than see Housley prematurely move him back to Eichel's wing to bring up his production as well as the value of his next contract, only to find out later (after an injury to O'Reilly or Eichel) that he can't hack it at center or that he can function at center but it severely hampers his ability to produce.

I agree on letting him stay at centre to see how he performs there. He may get an upgrade at wing if someone from Rochester makes the jump.

I want to see him put up some good numbers, but a bridge deal would help the team sort out some cap issues.

Getting into the business of artificially lowering his numbers, and potentially his confidence and tragectory, to save a few bucks doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I'm all for trying him at centre for as long as they feel they need to to get an accurate reading on his potential at centre, but once they figure that out, I don't want Sam at C a minute longer if they determine his long term place on the team is at wing.

Keeping him at C at that point, if it's decided he should be at wing, all to manipulate his next deal is a baffling concept to me. You risk hampering a player's development.

I don't understand how you can't make a reading re: Sam at center by now.  I think it's pretty obvious.  He's better suited to wing at this level.  Instead of thinking of it as not hampering his potential development at center, I'm thinking that the current situation is hampering his development at the position he is best suited for.  Unleash the kid at wing and let him continue to hone the skills specific to playing along the wall.

I don't understand how you can't make a reading re: Sam at center by now.  I think it's pretty obvious.  He's better suited to wing at this level.  Instead of thinking of it as not hampering his potential development at center, I'm thinking that the current situation is hampering his development at the position he is best suited for.  Unleash the kid at wing and let him continue to hone the skills specific to playing along the wall.

I think what's pretty obvious is he's better suited playing with skilled linemates.

Not making excuses for his play, just pointing out the hole in your argument: he has yet to prove he can put up points with Johan Larsson and Zemgus Girgensons any more than he can with Seth Griffith and Zemgus Girgensons.

I think the current strategy of forcing him to be the driver on his line is the correct one.

Looks like it's another developmental year anyway. Let's keep developing him.

I don't understand how you can't make a reading re: Sam at center by now. I think it's pretty obvious. He's better suited to wing at this level. Instead of thinking of it as not hampering his potential development at center, I'm thinking that the current situation is hampering his development at the position he is best suited for. Unleash the kid at wing and let him continue to hone the skills specific to playing along the wall.

That's what I'm saying. If they make a decision that he's better suited to wing, get him there ASAP.

I think what's pretty obvious is he's better suited playing with skilled linemates.

Not making excuses for his play, just pointing out the hole in your argument: he has yet to prove he can put up points with Johan Larsson and Zemgus Girgensons any more than he can with Seth Griffith and Zemgus Girgensons.

I think the current strategy of forcing him to be the driver on his line is the correct one.

Looks like it's another developmental year anyway. Let's keep developing him.

The caveat being that if they think his long term place is on right wing, he should be putting in the development time at that position.

It all comes down to how long Housley plans to give him at centre before he makes up his mind. Maybe he's already decided that C is the place to be for Sam, and that's why he's still there.

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.