GDT: Red Wings @ Sabres, 7:30 pm ET 10-24-17 NBCSN

Doohickie

You mean the Jackless, Kaneless, (Okoposoless?) Sabres? That sure was some team.

We turtled plenty tonight. We just happened to win.

But yeah, Bylsma sucks.

Unlike Blysma teams or earlier in the season though they were not passive. I thought the defensive zone play was impressively active especially in front of the net.

Wished the crowd was more into it, but I guess that should come with wins, We shall see.

I've heard that comment from people who were at the game, but the crowd noise on the television sounded good.  (Maybe they turn it up when the crowd is relatively quiet?)

We played a team playing not to be embarrassed in consecutive games so it wasn't going to be fire-house hockey, I accepted that before the game started.

The Sabres played well and for the whole 60 minutes and looked to be the better team.

I was entertained. If they do the same thing tonight I will be entertained and extremely happy.

^

It was a winning brand of hockey.

Yeah, just the 1-0 score. But not a dull game

The thing I thought I noticed was more of that proverbial urgency on and toward the puck. There were a few times where I saw out players coasting when they should have been engaging, and it popped out at me. Because they were not doing a lot of that. They were mostly going toward, into, and through the flow of play. I'm hoping they can figure out how to play that sort of game more consistently.

Also, Scandella was terrific.

^

It was a winning brand of hockey.

Yeah, just the 1-0 score. But not a dull game

The thing I thought I noticed was more of that proverbial urgency on and toward the puck. There were a few times where I saw out players coasting when they should have been engaging, and it popped out at me. Because they were not doing a lot of that. They were mostly going toward, into, and through the flow of play. I'm hoping they can figure out how to play that sort of game more consistently.

Also, Scandella was terrific.

They just have to keep the concept of "tight gap" in mind and their feet will follow. If they aren't keeping a tight gap they're giving the opponent too much space to work. 

If you keep that tight gap, you'll be able to slow guys down and force them to battle for the puck. Then it's just a matter of how hard you want to fight for it. 

They just have to keep the concept of "tight gap" in mind and their feet will follow. If they aren't keeping a tight gap they're giving the opponent too much space to work. 

If you keep that tight gap, you'll be able to slow guys down and force them to battle for the puck. Then it's just a matter of how hard you want to fight for it. 

Yep yep.

In this regard: ROR seems to have come around. 

He looked excellent last night. That's the ROR I know and love. He was doing a ton of work with his stick. 

I saw the same. It called back to mind the discussion re what ROR does relative to "playing a heavy game."

I (still) don't know that ROR plays heavy. But he can be so tenacious around the puck and smart with his stick -- he can win most of his puck battles. It makes such a difference when he's doing that.

I saw the same. It called back to mind the discussion re what ROR does relative to "playing a heavy game."

I (still) don't know that ROR plays heavy. But he can be so tenacious around the puck and smart with his stick -- he can win most of his puck battles. It makes such a difference when he's doing that.

There are different ways to play heavy, but as long as he's leaning on guys and digging hard for pucks that's all I need. 

I was not bored by that one at all.

Into it from start to finish.

Agreed.

There are different ways to play heavy, but as long as he's leaning on guys and digging hard for pucks that's all I need. 

Jack was challenging other players as well, but he was still in drive-by mode a lot of the time.  He doesn't really play heavy, at least not naturally.  He's all about movement, speed, momentum.  Reinhart, though, seems to get what heavy means.  If he missed the clean pick he took out the opposing player.  He had a team-high 5 hits last night.

I think if he embraces that role he doesn't have to worry about scoring, but also in doing that he's making room for his linemates.

I've heard that comment from people who were at the game, but the crowd noise on the television sounded good.  (Maybe they turn it up when the crowd is relatively quiet?)

Woody is correct. It was the library we all know and love. The audio is definitely amplified to juice it up.

He knows his audience. Buffalo broadcast, Buffalo English.

No offense, but is Rob that calculating. I think he just cleans up nice. And, yes, he did sound very good the few clips I've heard so far today. I hope to watch all of it later. I'm not sure I have it in me, though.

To the power play and Wowie's desire for faster puck movement. I just didn't see it last night. It still looked static and "play by the numbers." Is it even something you can coach? It's in the brain and in the hands, no? Also is Eichel being used a decoy on the PP now? I don't see him as the centrepiece of anything. I also don't see players getting the puck in prime scoring territory. Four on the perimeter, one in front.

No offense, but is Rob that calculating. I think he just cleans up nice. And, yes, he did sound very good the few clips I've heard so far today. I hope to watch all of it later. I'm not sure I have it in me, though.

To the power play and Wowie's desire for faster puck movement. I just didn't see it last night. It still looked static and "play by the numbers." Is it even something you can coach? It's in the brain and in the hands, no? Also is Eichel being used a decoy on the PP now? I don't see him as the centrepiece of anything. I also don't see players getting the puck in prime scoring territory. Four on the perimeter, one in front.

Was it Bob Woods that was the annoying/obvious quote guy during the intermissions, but ran the PP? I hope he left a notebook around, because while we had minor zone-entry nitpicks, that thing produced. 

You'd have to think the players remember what they did that worked, though, right? So just stick our old first unit out there for a while, watch game tape from last year's PP, and assume that that'll work better than putting Antipin or Scandella or Beaulieu with them. All guys that certainly were not part of ANY good power play unit last year, much less a top five unit over the last 20 years.

I was being somewhat cheeky. But I think Rob is pretty good (maybe top 3rd in regional PBP guys). He has improved every year, and I do think he is smart enough to realize that while he can get away with using those Buffalo colloquialisms on MSG, they wouldn't fly on a national broadcast.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.