GDT: Red Wings @ Sabres, 7:30 pm ET 10-24-17 NBCSN

Doohickie

And I still firmly believe that the lines will shake out more as the injured players return and Kane gets traded.  He's the most viable asset to bring in a 3/4 D player and potentially a prospect or good draft pick.  I like Kane and he's flying this year but intuition says he's not signing here and therefore will be moved.  AS I said, it's purely intuition.... 

I like Kane and I'd like him to resign with the team.  I suggested earlier that Bailey might be a potential Kane replacement (and caught some guff for it on the forum), but after the last 5 games I think that's a real possibility.  He's still green and we don't know if he'll hit that level, but when I compare him on the rush with Kane, he's got a turbocharger that Kane just doesn't have.  I like both players and I'd like to keep both, but if Kane has to go, I think Bailey can fill the void.  I like to think that Fasching and Baptiste will make the jump soon too.

I'm just not sure this is accurate. No matter what Phil said, they were definitely playing to not lose, at least a little bit. I absolutely saw players (O'Reilly) peeling off and thought to myself that if they had done this last year, Bylsma would not have heard the end of it.

Well, Bylsma's team last year had the worst shot margin in the league when leading in the third, and it wasn't really close (at least at the 60 game mark or so), and we were better than that tonight. 

I can guarantee that if Phil has this team in that spot after at least half a season he'll be shredded for it too. I can guarantee that because it'll be me doing it :P

Edited by Randall Flagg

It was noted by Rob Ray coming back from the commercial break with about 9 minutes left that Housley was telling the players to stop playing to protect the lead and instead keep attacking.  

I think this, in a nutshell, is the biggest difference this year from last year.  The first few games we've seen an increase in Goals Against because the Sabres focused on generating offense.  Jump a guy up in the play.  As the turnovers subside this should lead to even more goal scoring.  However, if you are a slob in your own end this will kill you.

Tonight I believe the Sabres played a more disciplined game.  I mentioned the icings that Detroit was taking.  As I saw it, many times Detroit had nowhere to go with the puck and tried to dump it early or they missed a long breakout pass.  These long passes were a result of trying to avoid the Sabres forecheck.

In their own zone, they are still getting trapped in there a bit too often.  I think a better team makes them pay a few times.  At the same time, they were moving the puck better.  They are still lost on positioning at times but its improving.

The bottom line is Housley is not going to play "not to lose".  He's going to play to win.

And I still firmly believe that the lines will shake out more as the injured players return and Kane gets traded.  He's the most viable asset to bring in a 3/4 D player and potentially a prospect or good draft pick.  I like Kane and he's flying this year but intuition says he's not signing here and therefore will be moved.  AS I said, it's purely intuition....

Good point on Phil going for the win. This needs to be instinctive for them to play hard and not go into a shell.

I also feel like Kane will be gone. I don't think he gives them a hometown discount and they won't give him the term he wants.

Well, Bylsma's team last year had the worst shot margin in the league when leading in the third, and it wasn't really close (at least at the 60 game mark or so), and we were better than that tonight.

Yeah, there is a big difference between playing safe and full-blown Alamo.

Also, liked the Eichel, ROR Larsson forward group to clinch the win - three guys who understand body position and are strong on the puck. Nice to see Jack actually using those skills defensively.

Also, liked the Eichel, ROR Larsson forward group to clinch the win - three guys who understand body position and are strong on the puck. Nice to see Jack actually using those skills defensively.

Yep. The difference is whether or not you won and whether or not you like the coach.

:devil:

I will not let myself do it, but it was also well-established that the forechecking strategy outright changed with the lead in the third, and there's video evidence out there for the taking supporting that. I wasn't watching close enough to know for sure but I'm not convinced this happened with Buffalo tonight even if guys were pulling out to shorten shifts, and it wouldn't make sense anyway based on what Rob heard Phil telling the team. 

It certainly wasn't the game on tomorrow's date last season, where a 3-0 third period lead was erased by a 20-5 shot differential in favor of the Flyers. 

Yep. The difference is whether or not you won and whether or not you like the coach.

It's early, but I don't know if I'm a huge fan of this guy either, so you better buckle up :P

But I do wish they could have refreshed your memory with an "on this date in history" that takes us back to that 20-5 3rd period shot differential I just mentioned  :nana: I guess that'd be for tomorrow's game though.

If Phil has us losing 3-0 leads like that, I don't think you're correct that we'd let it slide. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

I will not let myself do it, but it was also well-established that the forechecking strategy outright changed with the lead in the third, and there's video evidence out there for the taking supporting that. I wasn't watching close enough to know for sure but I'm not convinced this happened with Buffalo tonight even if guys were pulling out to shorten shifts, and it wouldn't make sense anyway based on what Rob heard Phil telling the team. 

It certainly wasn't the game on tomorrow's date last season, where a 3-0 third period lead was erased by a 20-5 shot differential in favor of the Flyers. 

It's early, but I don't know if I'm a huge fan of this guy either, so you better buckle up :P

But I do wish they could have refreshed your memory with an "on this date in history" that takes us back to that 20-5 3rd period shot differential I just mentioned  :nana: I guess that'd be for tomorrow's game though.

If Phil has us losing 3-0 leads like that, I don't think you're correct that we'd let it slide. 

You mean the Jackless, Kaneless, (Okoposoless?) Sabres? That sure was some team.

We turtled plenty tonight. We just happened to win.

Edited by SwampD

You mean the Jackless, Kaneless, (Okoposoless?) Sabres? That sure was some team.

We turtled plenty tonight. We just happened to win.

But yeah, Bylsma sucks.

Do you want me to go through the box scores Swamp?? You know I will!!! :lol:

They were the worst in the league over 82 games at possession and shot differential with a third period lead, with and without Jack last season. If they are worst in the league again this year, don't worry. There's plenty of bitching that will happen.

Also, it's not as if they had Jack and the other guys for the first two periods when the shots were knotted at 19 per team. They finished 41-25 in favor of Philly though.

Edited by Randall Flagg

They were the worst in the league over 82 games at possession and shot differential with a third period lead, with and without Jack last season. If they are worst in the league again this year, don't worry. There's plenty of bitching that will happen.

Given the talent on this team, and the fact that Wowie seems to have instructed the boys to play hockey for the entire game (as opposed to Disco and his "we scored a goal two periods ago, that's enough trying" method) I'd say the numbers will trend upwards.

Good point on Phil going for the win. This needs to be instinctive for them to play hard and not go into a shell.

I also feel like Kane will be gone. I don't think he gives them a hometown discount and they won't give him the term he wants.

I think that's the key.  If he decides he wants to be part of this, he'll give them a hometown discount.  Eichel may be a part of that ("I took less so they could resign you.... now you take less than you could somewhere else and resign.")  But he's just as likely (maybe more likely) to chase the money.  It all depends if he wants the money or the Cup, and how close he feels the Sabres are to contending versus any potential suitors.  I think it's absolutely likely that the Sabres will offer him less than he's likely to get on the FA market.  The one thing that may convince him to agree to less to stay with the Sabres is how awful the situation was for him in WPG.  If the chemistry is good here and he thinks the Sabres are contenders in the near term, he will sign at a discount to stay a Sabre.

They were hanging on at the end admittedly.  But that's the style they would have adopted after Pouliot's goal when DD was the coach.  The Sabres pressured for a second goal consistently until about the last 5 minutes of the game, and even then they played more aggressively on the puck than when the played full for DD Alamo Mode.

Also, it's not as if they had Jack and the other guys for the first two periods when the shots were knotted at 19 per team. They finished 41-25 in favor of Philly though.

All I'm saying is that it is a myth that we kept forechecking in the third cuz or coach is the anti Bylsma. I saw Plenty of our players completely peel off of the forecheck and allow the Wings to gain possession and the zone cuz we chose to not force offense.

it was a good win because it was a win. Lets not pretend it was more.

Sheesh, now I sound like Pokey. :D

I think that's the key.  If he decides he wants to be part of this, he'll give them a hometown discount.  Eichel may be a part of that ("I took less so they could resign you.... now you take less than you could somewhere else and resign.")  But he's just as likely (maybe more likely) to chase the money.  It all depends if he wants the money or the Cup, and how close he feels the Sabres are to contending versus any potential suitors.  I think it's absolutely likely that the Sabres will offer him less than he's likely to get on the FA market.  The one thing that may convince him to agree to less to stay with the Sabres is how awful the situation was for him in WPG.  If the chemistry is good here and he thinks the Sabres are contenders in the near term, he will sign at a discount to stay a Sabre.

It's probably not as contingent on that as one might think. Jack took his deal, left money on the table. Give it a few years as XGMTM's follies come off the cap... imaging the player(s) who could be signed with the extra money...

All I'm saying is that it is a myth that we kept forechecking in the third cuz or coach is the anti Bylsma. I saw Plenty of our players completely peel off of the forecheck and allow the Wings to gain possession and the zone cuz we chose to not force offense.

I simply can't remember enough of the game to dispute that. Let's just hope we finally don't occupy last place in that stat (which will now need to come from those twitter stat people, because the site I used for it was shut down over the summer :( ). I bet my house that we won't. And I agree with the general sentiment that Phil isn't some savior to counter the Bylsma antichrist. But it certainly didn't feel like we got caved in that third period, except for the goalie-pull and the one stretch before it, where Philly I think tied that game before they even had to pull the goalie. Not getting caved in is nice. 

And let's hope for lots of third period leads to give us argument material :P

Edited by Randall Flagg

I simply can't remember enough of the game to dispute that. Let's just hope we finally don't occupy last place in that stat (which will now need to come from those twitter stat people, because the site I used for it was shut down over the summer :( ). I bet my house that we won't. 

And let's hope for lots of third period leads to give us argument material :P

You can't remember the game, because it was flat our snoozeville.  Like a good Buffalo boy I was bowling tonight. After I got home, I watched the 1st 2 periods of my recording and then sadly couldn't keep my eyes open.  It was like watching paint dry.  

You can't remember the game, because it was flat our snoozeville.  Like a good Buffalo boy I was bowling tonight. After I got home, I watched the 1st 2 periods of my recording and then sadly couldn't keep my eyes open.  It was like watching paint dry.  

Between here and hfboards I've read more people feel this way than not, but for some reason I enjoyed the part of the game I saw. It must simply be the higher number in the Sabre box and the zero in the Red Wings one.

Extrapolate the last 5 games over an 82 game season and the Sabres earn 115 points in the standings.  (Or, if you say they have 8 points now and they will play at that pace for the rest of the season, the will end up with 109 points.)   Now, I don't expect them to play at that pace for the rest of the season, but I think we've seen they're capable of playing their way into a playoff position.

They weren't forechecking in the second half of the third like they did for much of the game, but they aggressively took time and space away from the Wings- not so much deep in the offensive zone, but definitely in the neutral zone, at the blue line and in the defensive zone.  They didn't set up a perimeter around Lehner and sit there.  They challenged the puck carriers when the Wings had possession.

The two wins being division wins is nice. 

If they can pull tomorrow's game out somehow, it's on like a mofo. 

Ugh, not sure if I can see that one either. 

Okposo is so bad right now and it's worrisome. 

Did Zemgus play? If so, get him with Jack pls. 

Nope.  Still injured.

Between here and hfboards I've read more people feel this way than not, but for some reason I enjoyed the part of the game I saw. It must simply be the higher number in the Sabre box and the zero in the Red Wings one.

I thought it was a closely fought, suspenseful game.  I enjoyed it.  The Sabres moved their feet and were rewarded.

Highlights of the night:

A crescent move over the illuminated Electric Tower building around sunset

The over the top organist's schtick leading up to the playing of Let's Go Buffalo just before the game

Evander and Kyle on the video board playing something I think they called the Whisper Contest — "labradoodle"

One row won free LaNova pizza and they showed the pizza arriving; the first guy in the row looked at it and passed it down, so did the second guy; maybe d4rk is right

Lehner made a big save

Pouliot scored on a wraparound

Some old dude was bitching out some young dudes in front of me and the ushers and security had to come

Eichel did a spinorama

Kane tried to jock it

The Sabres held on

The 190 heading south was humanity at its finest

Well I don't think it was really great hockey from either team, but we were better than them and on any night that's all that matters.

McCabe has gained a fire of some sort and you got to love it.

It is easy to nitpick things in this game but there is no point to that. It's all a step in the right direction.

Well I don't think it was really great hockey from either team, but we were better than them and on any night that's all that matters.

McCabe has gained a fire of some sort and you got to love it.

It is easy to nitpick things in this game but there is no point to that. It's all a step in the right direction.

McCabe did jump out at me, mostly for positive plays. A few clunkers, sure, like fumbling a puck at the point. He thinks he's a nobody (direct quote from his BBG) but he's not. Maybe he lacks some confidence?

It was a non descript win on a Tuesday night in October over a team we don't get excited about. You need those. But, man, they need to fix the first 10 minutes at home. It was tough to watch again.

I'm sure it's been noted, but O'Reilly, Pominville and Pouliot could be a nice veteran shutdown line.

So some things I saw tonight.

Antipin has his head on a swivel and man he's almost not noticeable, and for a D man that's a very good compliment.

Pomers threw some body checks!!! And was very very aggressive on the go forcheck, I was surprised and pleased, he def does not look old.... Unlike Moulson.

The Wings rarely had a chance to set up, buffalo played very sound in their end, which allowed lehner to do his job better, which he most certainly did.

Our team needs to learn how to shoot, I saw countless missed shots, especially high, and several right into Howards ta-tas.

Overall a boring game, but a lot of speed, hitting and tight checking eases the facet it was a 1-0 final.

Wished the crowd was more into it, but I guess that should come with wins, We shall see.

Jack was ticked after the penalty when he did the spin o Rama, I'd like to see mad Jack more, but it almost seems like it was tempur tantrum like and it almost seemed like it could easily get him outta his zone too. Maybe a touch of immaturity there.

Alas, the Tim Hortons was not open after the game, wtf!!! I needed my double double to power through my drive back.

It's a win, 2 points, a bit of optimism and a start, let's keep it rolling

I'm just not sure this is accurate. No matter what Phil said, they were definitely playing to not lose, at least a little bit. I absolutely saw players (O'Reilly) peeling off and thought to myself that if they had done this last year, Bylsma would not have heard the end of it.

It's a natural tendency to play defense to protect a lead late in the game

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.