So what is Jbot’s plan for the Sabres?

GASabresIUFAN

Hockey players are a different breed of athletes. Do you guys/gals think Moulson feels funny about being a financial liability to the team?

No data.

But we do know that he has been donating tickets to veterans pretty much his entire time in Buffalo. Would also expect that he got little, if any, remuneration for boarding Eichel his 1st year in Buffalo.

Kane's value is already set...  if he hasn't signed then I don't suspect he will.

This means they are going to move him.  If his return lowers GA by the same amount of decreasing GF then I am probably pretty good with the trade.

I don't believe his value is already set. What if he stays healthy all year? At this rate he's going to put up a season like he's never had before. I don't think he'll keep this torrid pace, but his value may very well still fluctuate.

I also don't buy that because they haven't signed him yet, it means they aren't going to. We just don't know what Botterill's plans are, yet.

Crusader here are the numbers

Forwards (7) 37.175 - Jack, RoR, Ko, Moulson, Girgensons, Larsson and Pommers. ERod also has another year at .650. Nylander is signed for .894 and Bailey is going to be a cheap RFA to retain (around 750k).

Defense (6) 19.2 - Risto, Bogo, Scandella, Baloo, McCabe and Tennyson. Guhle is also under contract for .697. Antipin is a RFA.

Goalie (1) .750 - Ullmark

All told that’s 14 players of a 22-23 man roster for 57.125. That leaves about 20 mill for 8-9 players. While that doesn’t sound like much it should be ample to sign who we need. If you assume that ERod, Bailey and Nylander make the Sabres next year, you now have 10 forwards for 39.47 and 17 players for $59.42. If Guhle makes the team that brings us to 7 D and 18 players for $60.12.

So is 17 mill enough to keep Kane, Sam and Lehner? Yeah! Will Jbot keep all three? I doubt it.

I think he gives Sam a 3 year 13 mil bridge deal. That would bring us to 11 forwards, and 19 players for $64.55

Definitely can't sign Lehner and Kane.

Maybe Pomminstein will be the one let go at the trade deadline? That would solve the cap problem for the 18/19 season

My only other thought is to trade Samson for a dman still on his ELC. Say, Nashville for Fabbro or Girard as an example?

Looking back to last years trade deadline, I think Kane gets you a first rounder if you deal him. Will be tough to get a teams top prospect in return for him IMO

Edited by Crusader1969

Maybe Pomminstein will be the one let go at the trade deadline? That would solve the cap problem for the 18/19 season

My only other thought is to trade Samson for a dman still on his ELC. Say, Nashville for Fabbro or Girard as an example?

Looking back to last years trade deadline, I think Kane gets you a first rounder if you deal him. Will be tough to get a teams top prospect in return for him IMO

Unless the team he gets traded to can work out a long term contract with him.

You could sign both.  If you gave Kane 7, Sam 4.5 and Lehner 5 you would be just under the $17 mill figure I mentioned.  I'm not signing all three. Frankly I may only sign Reinhart.  

Duda, If Kane is at 26 goals before the deadline I'm trading him even if we are in the playoff position.  We need the assets to fix this rebuild not a $7mill puck hog, shoot it into the goalies chest winger. 

You could sign both.  If you gave Kane 7, Sam 4.5 and Lehner 5 you would be just under the $17 mill figure I mentioned.  I'm not signing all three. Frankly I may only sign Reinhart.  

Duda, If Kane is at 26 goals before the deadline I'm trading him even if we are in the playoff position.  We need the assets to fix this rebuild not a $7mill puck hog, shoot it into the goalies chest winger.

I highly doubt we'd be getting very many assets for Kane as a rental, probably something like a second and a third. Teams don't give up 1st round picks at the deadline anymore. If Kane has 26 goals he's a big part of our current team, and a push for the playoffs would be much more beneficial for these guys than a 2nd round pick that makes or may not be on the team in a few years.

If someone is willing to give up something truly substantial, I'd consider it. Failing that, I wouldn't.

I think he’d bring a 1st. Shattenkirk, who was on the last year of his deal, was traded for a 1st last dealine. Then over-hill Eric Staal brought 2 2nd rd picks the year before.

For a team who feels, like the Caps did, that they are one player from getting to the promise land (a trip to the Cup Finals), they will pay up to get that player.

I think he’d bring a 1st. Shattenkirk, who was on the last year of his deal, was traded for a 1st last dealine. Then over-hill Eric Staal brought 2 2nd rd picks the year before.

For a team who feels, like the Caps did, that they are one player from getting to the promise land (a trip to the Cup Finals), they will pay up to get that player.

My concern is the cap. Trading him will require a team to lose a player to fit him under the cap. 

What?

There is NFW that either of those 2 gets that much unless there is a dramatic turnaround.

Reino will probably get a bridge deal at a much lower AAV and Lehner will probably be gone.

What?

There is NFW that either of those 2 gets that much unless there is a dramatic turnaround.

Reino will probably get a bridge deal at a much lower AAV and Lehner will probably be gone.

Lehner currently makes 4 per season and if Jbot commits to Lehner, who I wrote will probably be gone, he’ll have to give him at least 5 on a long-term deal. As to Reino, he is already averaging 40+ pts per season. Even on a bridge deal he likely come in a 100K per pt.

Lehner currently makes 4 per season and if Jbot commits to Lehner, who I wrote will probably be gone, he’ll have to give him at least 5 on a long-term deal. As to Reino, he is already averaging 40+ pts per season. Even on a bridge deal he likely come in a 100K per pt.

Lehner is restricted after this season. There is no need to give him a big contract.

Reino is also restricted, has been completely ineffective this year and has trended downward since his rookie year.  He's not getting $4MM per year.

Lehner is restricted after this season. There is no need to give him a big contract.

Reino is also restricted, has been completely ineffective this year and has trended downward since his rookie year.  He's not getting $4MM per year.

Doesnt Lehner require a raise on his $4 million salary to qualify him?

The Lehner situation is very interesting.

People seem to think he’ll either be cut loose, or sign a pricey long-term deal, but I think those situations only become likely if he seriously improves, or drops off.

Neither seems likely to me if he is just what he has been, an OK NHL starter.

At that level he is too valuable to cut, but not valuable enough to sign long term.

If he was a UFA right now, he’d probably sign somewhere for 2-4 years at around $4 million per.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.