Jack Eichel - Move your feet.

LGR4GM

Jack needs to stop going in stick first hoping and praying. Move your feet and work. You're in a league where everyone is talented so to quote the movie miracle "You don't have enough talent to win on talent alone." He keeps floating or gliding around. He needs to give more than 70% skating effort. 

It seems to me to be less about just moving his feet and more about being engaged physically at the right times. Elite offensive players tend to get comfortable with their raw talent allowing them to keep more separation from other players, using the stick and their positional awareness to do a lot of the work.

But that doesn't matter when an opponent has decided he doesn't give a crap about how good you are. Which is what is happening to Jack right now. Which means he has to go against his instincts and accept that his skill alone isn't enough to do things like drive to the net with defenders hanging off of you, or take the puck away on the forecheck.

In fairness to Jack, you also have to realize other teams know how to defend against him now. Kane is a very predictable player and the other side is nothing special so they key on Jack and shut him down. 

I think this is what they thought they could get from Reinhart on the 3rd line. They shut down Jack, ROR was supposed to shut down their big gun and then Reinhart dominates on the 3rd and wins the game for us, but he hasn't, and it's been a disaster. 

Still 5 players away, minimum. Every time I see that lineup, I realize why this team is as bad as they are. I don't even know what to think of the defense but man, that offense is terrible.

The whole clip..,

Edited by North Buffalo

In fairness to Jack, you also have to realize other teams know how to defend against him now. Kane is a very predictable player and the other side is nothing special so they key on Jack and shut him down. 

I think this is what they thought they could get from Reinhart on the 3rd line. They shut down Jack, ROR was supposed to shut down their big gun and then Reinhart dominates on the 3rd and wins the game for us, but he hasn't, and it's been a disaster. 

I think the disaster is the complete inability of any line to consistently control the puck during ES, PP, and PK play. 

Time to finally get coached at the NHL level. We lost two valuable years of development for Jack under Bylsma. It's foolish to think he was just going to be plug and play from college to the pros given the way he played the game in college. 

We see it differently.  From where I am sitting, Jack refused to be coached previously.  It is time to stop blaming Bylsma for Jack's issues.  His issues are his.  And they are continuing under a new coach.

We see it differently. From where I am sitting, Jack refused to be coached previously. It is time to stop blaming Bylsma for Jack's issues. His issues are his. And they are continuing under a new coach.

This is fair and although I'm still interested in siding with Jack against Bylsma, he's getting no such thing from me under Housley. I trust Phil way more than Dan to coach Jack, if Jack is coachable at all.

The thread title reminds me that some 300-level leather lung at Jack's first scrimmage in the summer of 2015 yelled, MOVE YOUR FEET, EICHEL! THIS IS THE NHL!

Granted, he looked sluggish, but IIRC he was operating on fumes after a whirlwind week. And... it was just a scrimmage. Alas, there was booing, at Eichel IIRC, when he failed to score in the shootout.

It has to be a terrible place to play, despite the requisite praise of the fan base. Sure, I contribute to the negativity online, but I've never once booed at a Sabres game. I'd love to cheer more, but I'm a follower and not a leader, and no one else ever cheers. Sometimes I think each section needs a captain to whip the pot pies into shape.

There's a lot that has to be figured out and that applies to our young star.  I know we want him to just take over and overcome everything happening around him but it's going to take a little time.  Heck we're switching lines after 3 games - so it's a bit of a reset that's going to take additional time. 

I feel like Jack and this team will look much different after a Month of playing and practicing together. 

I notice Jack being a bit more physical at times, not all the time, but I've seen him mixing it up down low.  He's getting double teamed on the PP and making smart passes that's opened up the whole other side of the ice.  We just haven't done much with it.

Edited by 7+6=13

It is weird to see that Jack has a predominately finnesse playmaking style when he's a physical beast with a killer shot.

I kinda want to see him on a line with two players who can't shoot worth , just to see what he'd do. I think the finesse style comes from him trying to set other people up, when really he needs to be more selfish. He needs to drive to the slot and shoot. He almost always has the room to do it.

This post made me laugh out loud. Thank you for that. 

So by analogy, Crosby's success must be predicated on Bonino's success on the 3rd line. 

The thread title reminds me that some 300-level leather lung at Jack's first scrimmage in the summer of 2015 yelled, MOVE YOUR FEET, EICHEL! THIS IS THE NHL!

Granted, he looked sluggish, but IIRC he was operating on fumes after a whirlwind week. And... it was just a scrimmage. Alas, there was booing, at Eichel IIRC, when he failed to score in the shootout.

It has to be a terrible place to play, despite the requisite praise of the fan base. Sure, I contribute to the negativity online, but I've never once booed at a Sabres game. I'd love to cheer more, but I'm a follower and not a leader, and no one else ever cheers. Sometimes I think each section needs a captain to whip the ###### pot pies into shape.

We cheer the good and boo the bad. Kinda like a fan does.

We see it differently. From where I am sitting, Jack refused to be coached previously. It is time to stop blaming Bylsma for Jack's issues. His issues are his. And they are continuing under a new coach.

I think both you and D4rk are right. I think Jack has a bit of a natural and difficult to coach arrogance about him, but I also think that could have been mediated by a different style of coaching his first two years as a pro. Instead, Bylsma exacerbated it.

We cheer the good and boo the bad. Kinda like a fan does.

Bad fans, maybe. :P ;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.