Jack Eichel - Move your feet.

LGR4GM

It is weird to see that Jack has a predominately finnesse playmaking style when he's a physical beast with a killer shot.

I've been saying he's more in the mould of a Getzlaf type player in terms of style since he got here. Still think that applies.

I agree. He's trying to be a set up man. He needs to battle and attack

What's wrong with being a set up man? Would you tell McDavid to try something else? Jack can and should learn to shoot more, but he'll generally be playmaking first, as that's more his natural play style.

Edited by Thorny

I've been saying he's more in the mould of a Getzlaf type player in terms of style since he got here. Still think that applies.

What's wrong with being a set up man? Would you tell McDavid to try something else? Jack can and should learn to shoot more, but he'll generally be playmaking first, as that's more his natural play style.

You can't bring McDavid into this if you want to help Jack's case. McDavid is a much more rounded player than Jack.

You can't bring McDavid into this if you want to help Jack's case. McDavid is a much more rounded player than Jack.

Pick any player you want that is primarily a passer first. The player specifically is irrelevant. That McDavid is better doesn't really factor in. He "only" had 30 goals last year. For a man of his talents, I'm sure he could have had more. Instead he got 70 assists.

Jack's ratio will lean a little more towards the goal side, something like a 2:3 ratio, like he's shown. That seems about right for him.

That is to say, I don't think the result of Jack playing better will be that he "scores more goals", it'll be that he scores more goals and the corresponding amount of assists that generally go with the way he plays.

Edited by Thorny

Mostly I think people see his shot and just want him to use it more, with a side helping of being tired of watching players fail to cash in on his dishes. I definitely agree he's more of a pass-first player by nature, but on this particular roster, I'm not sure that's best serving the team.

Mostly I think people see his shot and just want him to use it more, with a side helping of being tired of watching players fail to cash in on his dishes. I definitely agree he's more of a pass-first player by nature, but on this particular roster, I'm not sure that's best serving the team.

Makes sense. Who do we have coming that'll complement Jack's natural tendencies? Nylander? He's pass first too, I think. Do we have anyone in the "sniper" mould on the way? I feel like our farm system leans towards playmakers currently.

Maybe a guy like Fasching, if he makes it. He's not a sniper, but if he has enough touch around the net, he could be maybe a Hyman type player for Jack.

Count me in the group that would still like to see ROR on Jack's wing. He's certainly shown himself capable of finishing around the net.

Edited by Thorny

I think both you and D4rk are right. I think Jack has a bit of a natural and difficult to coach arrogance about him, but I also think that could have been mediated by a different style of coaching his first two years as a pro. Instead, Bylsma exacerbated it.

Bad fans, maybe. :P ;)

That's a PhD word if I ever saw one.  When are you gonna change your name back?

The thread title reminds me that some 300-level leather lung at Jack's first scrimmage in the summer of 2015 yelled, MOVE YOUR FEET, EICHEL! THIS IS THE NHL!

Granted, he looked sluggish, but IIRC he was operating on fumes after a whirlwind week. And... it was just a scrimmage. Alas, there was booing, at Eichel IIRC, when he failed to score in the shootout.

It has to be a terrible place to play, despite the requisite praise of the fan base. Sure, I contribute to the negativity online, but I've never once booed at a Sabres game. I'd love to cheer more, but I'm a follower and not a leader, and no one else ever cheers. Sometimes I think each section needs a captain to whip the ###### pot pies into shape.

Today on Facebook someone posted a pic of Jagr in the game last night for Calgary, And folks were waxing poetic about how great it is that Jagr is still in the game.  A Pittsburgh fan posted "I wish we didn't boo him here in Pittsburgh for like, 15 seasons".

I guess every fanbase does it.  We expect so much from these guys.

Today on Facebook someone posted a pic of Jagr in the game last night for Calgary, And folks were waxing poetic about how great it is that Jagr is still in the game.  A Pittsburgh fan posted "I wish we didn't boo him here in Pittsburgh for like, 15 seasons".

I guess every fanbase does it.  We expect so much from these guys.

I dunno. It feels like something else. I went to the Igloo when the Pens were pretty bad and it was electric. Of course they had Mario by then. We're haunted by something. Should we blame Punch for vowing that the Sabres would be the first expansion team to win a Cup? Maybe it was too good, too quick for this franchise. Then they kept getting pretty close. And the Bills. There's a balloon that needs to be popped, and I'm afraid only one thing will do the trick. And, no, NS, it won't be a Cusp.

Edited by PASabreFan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.