GDT: Sabres at Islanders, Sat 10/7/17, 7:00 PM

nfreeman

Man guys,

I have probably been to a dozen Sabres-Islanders games and I have never been treated like I was tonight. It wasn't just a few meatheads either. It was pretty widespread throughout the night. Started outside Barclays and continued right through until we got into our cab. Bathrooms, concourse, seats. You name it.

Anyone else share that experience?

Did you ask them if they'd still be laughing when their team bolts for Quebec in the next couple years?

The problem is, he's too poised. He doesn't have that fighting/battle instinct, he doesn't fight for the puck, he doesn't break his neck trying to regain position when he's down, etc etc. I think he's a great backup. Unfortunately, he may be the best thing we have, ATM

All the teams have watched the tape by now, and they know the drill- take away the Eichel one-timer. I still agree with you, but it's going to be harder, and it's going to take some practice for them to create that opening. I think they attempted it once or twice, but it wasn't tape-to-tape.

I mean it's it's worked for Ovechkin for what? A decade now?

Here in Kelowna there always lots of hockey guys in town during the summer. I've heard from ex players that ROR is not all that, that he has a bit of a headcase. Good player, but I bet he's not thrilled he's not getting bank like Eichel. 

On Eichel, the guy is a winner and while it's early, the kid will take this team to great heights. His goal was pure grit and skill all at once. Drops the guy in the corner effortlessly, then goes to the front and Boychuk can't budge him as he tips the puck and then finds it for the goal. Skill that can't be taught. 

The team has some good players and pieces but the way Housley sent the lines out, some players seemed to have gotten lost in the shuffle. Kane is a beast and plays hard every shift. Some bright spots but lots of work to do.

Great post.  I have also heard the ROR rumors about being a head case here in Chicago.  Eichel will be great when he plays every shift like the one he scored on.  Kane gives it his all.  We need more of that. Okposo gives effort, he just isn't producing but I think he will.  All of our issues will take time to work through.  We need solid tending while we adjust.  That is my worry.

He signed here the year we got Eichel. Unless he's an absolute moron, he knew that Jack would be making more than him, and that it's his team. I don't buy for a single second that there's any resentment there, or that it has anything to do with his poor play on two games

Anyone else seeing a completely different Jack through these two games than what we remember last year? More like a center, less like an opportunistic winger that gets funneled the puck? More Matthews/Crosby game and less Pat Kane game?

I called it a more mature game after the Habs game.

I like it.

Both coaches, IMO, are going to want to destroy all film of this game and just bag skate everybody tomorrow.

I honestly don't think I saw either team string two passes together all night. What a wierd game.

Well, that's not terribly encouraging either.  The Islanders passing woes might have been temporary to this game - but the Sabres have been putting on poor passing clinics for years. 

Terrible game tonight. Power play looked horrible.  And Lehner....  Lehner was just abysmal.  He demonstrated, as if anyone needs convincing,  that he's just as bad on breakaways as he is at shootouts.  

Lameher is another one of Murray's mistakes that continues to haunt us.  

Edited by Jsixspd

It's been two games

And that's why I'm going to bed. Sam is the scapegoat tonight. The crap pass by Baloo, or whatever the feel Risto tried, no man they are still good but Reinhart, he was -5 because of 3 empty short handed goals and an empty net goal, shame on him.

This place will be unreadable until Monday. The Sabres played like garage. They should be ashamed. Burning down the team 2 games into a season is stupid.

Doesn't mean I can't expect a lot more out of him

Go watch the highlights, please post all 5 goals he was on the ice for. I'd love to see how bad he was.

Wanting a lot out of him and this constant witch hunt are different thing.

I'm taking a couple days off. I can't stand Sabres space right now.

And that's why I'm going to bed. Sam is the scapegoat tonight. The crap pass by Baloo, or whatever the feel Risto tried, no man they are still good but Reinhart, he was -5 because of 3 empty short handed goals and an empty net goal, shame on him.

This place will be unreadable until Monday. The Sabres played like garage. They should be ashamed. Burning down the team 2 games into a season is stupid.

Go watch the highlights, please post all 5 goals he was on the ice for. I'd love to see how bad he was.

Wanting a lot out of him and this constant witch hunt are different thing.

I'm taking a couple days off. I can't stand Sabres space right now.

And we didn't suffer all last year with the same group of offensive talent?

Montreal is not good and tonight was worse, when the hell does it end?

Anyone else seeing a completely different Jack through these two games than what we remember last year? More like a center, less like an opportunistic winger that gets funneled the puck? More Matthews/Crosby game and less Pat Kane game?

I called it a more mature game after the Habs game.

I like it.

Good calls.  I agree.

It's not Sam's fault he was picked 2, it just sucks that he is what we get for such a high pick, brutal.

Relax.  Have a grilled cheese.

The lack of talent at the wing positions is already quite evident and very disturbing. There is simply no talent left for Reinhart for a third scoring line. Maybe it's time to move him back to wing and wait until Nylander and Mittelstadt arrive before shifting him back again to center? Outside of a top 6 of Eichel, Kane, Pominville, Okposo, O'Reilly, and Reinhart, I don't see anyone on this roster that provides any hope of scoring goals. Girgensons, Pouliot, and Moulson are pure garbage to me. 

By the way, what the ever happened to Bailey, Baptiste, and Fasching? I thought at least 1-2 of them was supposed to make the jump to the pros. I've been out of the loop for the past couple of months. I do know that Nylander has been injured, so that's his excuse.

I fully realize that it has only been 2 games, but I have been following this team religiously for the past 6 seasons. I'm tired of watching games for "player development" and draft lottery potential. If this is going to be a 7th straight season of no playoffs, maybe I should take a break from hockey until this franchise can learn to get its act together. 

The lack of talent at the wing positions is already quite evident and very disturbing. There is simply no talent left for Reinhart for a third scoring line. Maybe it's time to move him back to wing and wait until Nylander and Mittelstadt arrive before shifting him back again to center? Outside of a top 6 of Eichel, Kane, Pominville, Okposo, O'Reilly, and Reinhart, I don't see anyone on this roster that provides any hope of scoring goals. Girgensons, Pouliot, and Moulson are pure garbage to me.

By the way, what the ###### ever happened to Bailey, Baptiste, and Fasching? I thought at least 1-2 of them was supposed to make the jump to the pros. I've been out of the loop for the past couple of months. I do know that Nylander has been injured, so that's his excuse.

I fully realize that it has only been 2 games, but I have been following this team religiously for the past 6 seasons. I'm tired of watching games for "player development" and draft lottery potential. If this is going to be a 7th straight season of no playoffs, maybe I should take a break from hockey until this franchise can learn to get its act together.

Boom, nailed it. The pipeline has sucked for a while and we can only hope Mittle and Nylander help next year. This team just never seems to take the next step.

Toronto is everything I thought we would be and we aren't even freaking close.

Boom, nailed it. The pipeline has sucked for a while and we can only hope Mittle and Nylander help next year. This team just never seems to take the next step.

Toronto is everything I thought we would be and we aren't even freaking close.

While I agree we aren't close to Toronto, it's not because of what we showed through two games. 

I'll take your heavily discounted tickets, though, if you're desperate to be gone with them on October 7th.

Edited by Randall Flagg

Here in Kelowna there always lots of hockey guys in town during the summer. I've heard from ex players that ROR is not all that, that he has a bit of a headcase. Good player, but I bet he's not thrilled he's not getting bank like Eichel.

On Eichel, the guy is a winner and while it's early, the kid will take this team to great heights. His goal was pure grit and skill all at once. Drops the guy in the corner effortlessly, then goes to the front and Boychuk can't budge him as he tips the puck and then finds it for the goal. Skill that can't be taught.

The team has some good players and pieces but the way Housley sent the lines out, some players seemed to have gotten lost in the shuffle. Kane is a beast and plays hard every shift. Some bright spots but lots of work to do.

What did ROR do after the Sabres gave him a big contract? Get a DUI. Edited by PromoTheRobot

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.