Eichel Deal Done: 8 years 80 Million

Brawndo

Well, it is a big deal, but it's not like anyone should have been nervous about it. I said it in the thread when so many were panicking. It was a done deal. The time to announce it was at the start of the season and no need before then. Create anticipation and worry and then allow Sabres fans who are nervous nellies to have their massive release just before the season starts. The only thing left is to announce him as C at the start of the game....

It's pretty textbook. So, yes, it's a big deal, but at the same time I never doubted he was going to sign for 8 years.. the amount was not my concern at all.. it was going to be for a ton of money. (it still was right to pin it).

There are so many things I’m interested in debating.

My visceral reaction to the news of Eichel signing isn’t among them, though.

There are so many things I’m interested in debating.

My visceral reaction to the news of Eichel signing isn’t among them, though.

Hey.. I was shown the headline last night in the middle of our youth baseball board meeting and I certainly interrupted it with my outburst. :)  I'm pretty jacked about the contract.. I had just assumed all along it was going to play out this way.

Awesome,

He Josie, you think you could do a T-Shirt that says Jack Eichel says in “ with a Buffalo on the front... We want you Jack! In the style of the WWIi recruitment of the old man top hat “I want You!

Fish said Jack left money on the table.  I am beyond curious to know what number they were at before discussions went quiet this summer.  Was he at 10.5, 11.5, 12MM????   Unfortunately we may never know...

I mean every agent says that. Of course he wanted more, that doesn't mean he was going to get it. 

Absolutely did. This is where a coach like Phil needs to get him loosened up. Jack needs to drive the slot and shoot more. 

I think there's a lot of tape watching in Jack's future. I think he's gotten by on natural ability for most of his hockey career but now that he's in the pros he needs to be coached to take him to the next level. I hope Phil is the guy to do that. 

I think there's a lot of tape watching in Jack's future. I think he's gotten by on natural ability for most of his hockey career but now that he's in the pros he needs to be coached to take him to the next level. I hope Phil is the guy to do that. 

agree

Huh?

I'm confused not just by the content, but by the timing. Dude's a 3rd year pro now.

Everyone thinks Jack gave us a bargain price but did he? jack is a really good hockey player. Really good. But he's still living off the idea from the draft that he is comparable to McDavid so when he takes a little less than McDavid it seems like a great deal.  Maybe he has realized he isn't that good and he won't be as good as McDavid. So an allstar sure, but maybe he's more Malkin than Crosby for a quick analogy. Maybe he's going to seem a little over paid in time. maybe if he'd waited, his price would have had to drop.

He's really really good, our best player no doubt, but I just don't see him controlling a game or dominating the way McDavid and possibly Matthews can. I think the best we can hope for is Getzlaf. 

And with that in mind, we really really need to find him a Perry.  Kane isn't it.

Everyone thinks Jack gave us a bargain price but did he? jack is a really good hockey player. Really good. But he's still living off the idea from the draft that he is comparable to McDavid so when he takes a little less than McDavid it seems like a great deal.  Maybe he has realized he isn't that good and he won't be as good as McDavid. So an allstar sure, but maybe he's more Malkin than Crosby for a quick analogy. Maybe he's going to seem a little over paid in time. maybe if he'd waited, his price would have had to drop.

He's really really good, our best player no doubt, but I just don't see him controlling a game or dominating the way McDavid and possibly Matthews can. I think the best we can hope for is Getzlaf. 

And with that in mind, we really really need to find him a Perry.  Kane isn't it.

Getzlaf: Best we can hope for.

Eichel first post-draft season: 24G, 56 P, 56 points per 82

Eichel second post-draft season: 24G, 57 P, 77 points per 82

Getzlaf first post-draft season: 0G, 0P, 0 pts per 82

Getzlaf second post-draft season: no hockey was played 

Rats, guess we've found Eichel's ceiling

Seriously, Getzlaf's FOURTH post-draft season was equivalent statistically to Eichel's rookie year, in a much-higher-scoring league

Edited by Randall Flagg

Those stats don't matter, it's what he evolved into that counts. Don't knock it, Getzlaf won a cup and is a dominant player at times even now. Jack is more that type of player is my point. Not a McDavid type. 

You'd prefer I'd have said Messier. But that was a different era.

I just think "best we can hope for is Getzlaf" is laying it way too thick when Jack is doing what he is at an age when Getzlaf was still busing around whatever league he was in. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.